Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder checker die

whats the thoughts out there on powder check dies?

I have been using a lee loadmaster for over a year, and had 2 squibs then about a month ago got me a 650 with the powder check die, I really like it as it a lot cheaper than buying a barrel and just another safety feature for us reloaders. I'm glad I have it Edited by Oskino

whats the thoughts out there on powder check dies?

I'm glad I have mine on my 1050's.

Now, I just don't listen for the buzzer, I keep my eye on the notch in the rod on every throw as well. This way I know exactly what's going on.

I have one and use it on some loads but it was making a mess with my 9Major round because the case is so full. When the brass tip would drop into the case to measure the powder it would spill onto the shell plate so I had to quit using it on that round. Honestly I have loaded for years on a 550 without one and a couple of years on the 650 with no problems. I do keep full attention on what I'm doing and check cases as they come around. The low powder volume cases it would be helpful on when you really need to be at the right angle to see down in them.

I think if they don't cause problems when using them or if you have distractions when loading they would be a good tool to use.

• 2 weeks later...

When I purchased my Dillon s1050 early this year it was ordered with a Dillon Powder Check.

About a month ago I started to notice it wasn't alerting when it should. I pulled it apart and noticed it had some corrosion on the electrical contact going to the battery. After cleaning it... it seemed to work, about a week or two later I went down to crank out a small batch of ammo for the NER. I noticed again that it seemed to be working intermittently.... at best. This has not been a confidence installing experience to say the least.

Last week while in a local shop I purchased both an RCBS Powder Check and Lockout dies. Wasn't sure which one I would like, and since the cost wasn't a big factor I decided to snag both.

I set up the Powder Check die first, setup was simple and easy and the die works well. I then tried the Lockout die, again setup was extremely simple and fast, and again the die works extremely well.

At this point the Lockout die will remain in the s1050, doubtful that I'd purchase another Dillon Powder Check die...... I think either mechanical device is better than the electronic device dillon sells.

~g

As I stated in post #3 , but maybe did not make it obvious enough, nor has Dillon; the Dillon Powder Check IS VISUAL LIKE the RCBS and L/L, as well as Audible. Which makes it superior.

The problem with the Dillon having an Audible feature, is that folks get lazy and just rely on only the audible and don't look at the more accurate visual feature.

This is how the visual works:

The button on the blue alarm that makes it go beep should fall dead center into the notch on the powder rod. If it falls somewhere in the notch, you will get a chirp. This is normally acceptable, unless you are running min/max.

If the button hits a flat, then pull the case and check it. Most likely, it is unacceptable.

If you want to make it easier to read, paint the notch red.

If I could post pics with an iPad I would.

So if your Dillon audible breaks down, you still have the visual just like everyone else.

Reins, thanks for that info.

Don't know if everyone knows, but RCBS has two powder check dies one is visual and the other Is a true lock out the press die.

This is the die witch I am using and recommended.

No charge or a double charge in the case and the press will shut down until the problem is fixed.

Charles

Read all the material, but still have some questions for an xl650:

What happens when the die locks the press, how do you get it unlocked ?

Does it only detect double and no powder charge ?

What happens if the charge is off by say 20% because you are now using a different powder?

THANKS...

It doesn't really lock the press, it only locks the uptravel of the shellplate.

I have only used mine for a little while but I wouldn't count on it detecting a charge which is 20% off, I don't mind either I'm only concerned about double charges and zero charges.

Mine had to go to be replaced by a bullet feeder and I don't miss it at all.

I reload on a 550 and after all these years I've found something lacking. Started reloading .223 recently (in the past year) and would really like to add a Powder Cop to the mix but on the on the 550 there's just no good place to put it.

As it is, after dumping the powder I drop a small pin into the shell casing to assure there is some powder in there. Not the fastest or most efficient way to do it, but I do what I need to do.