Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explain this....

3djedi

Before you change the sight you need to endure you are not disturbing the sights while pulling the trigger.

Compensating by drifting the sights can be a crutch that will hold you back.

Edited by alma

I just found it interesting that on every striker fired polymer gun I've had trouble with low left shots and with this hammer fired metal gun high right. It's a first for me going high right.

But the grip does feel skinnier (I have the EGW grip) so maybe it is causing different finger placement on trigger.

I do have adjustable sights so I guess the smart thing to do is bench rest it and see where it groups....

low left (assuming you are right handed) is the traditional spot for a newer shooter who is struggling with trigger control. as we gain a bit of confidence and start shooting faster it's not uncommon to see those hits starting to go low left. some work on the fundamentals of trigger press will usually help clear that up.

I tend to agree a little with alma. I had this problem and tried to cure it by adjusting sights. what happened was when I got everything right (sight alingment, trigger press, grip etc) my shots would go way high as I'd set the sights to compensate for crappy trigger control. on my other gun I just left the factory fixed sights on. I knew it shot POA/POI when things were done right. so if the hits were low and left it was my fault. that helped massively.

having said that if you are getting a good grouping high right by all means adjust the sights.

from memory your gun was used. it's quite possible the previous owner had a really bad trigger jerk and has adjusted the sights up and to the right to compensate. now when you shoot it correctly it hits high and right.

I put a bore laser in there and sure enough it was pointing high right. The thing is I had to move the rear sight way left to center the laser on the fiber optic dot. Hits poa/poi now but it bothers me that the sight is so far left.

c05fb2762cc32cbeb7b34133b4283851.jpg

Edited by 3djedi

Man this thing is super accurate. But here is my next problem. When I shoot fast say like a bill drill, I'm getting some low hits. Would a lighter recoil spring help with that?

It has the factory spring in there but I don't which one. ( doesn't it come with 2 or 3?) There is one in the case with a label that looks to be around 12.5lbs. I was thinking if ordering the henning 10.75lb spring...

Yes I'd agree the low hits are just the side effect of shooting fast. It can be looking over the sight, or just jerking the trigger on faster shots.

Yes I'd try the heavier spring for 40 major. The 10.75 Henning should be good but I'd give the 12 a try too.

I thought I saw a video about recoil springs and he said that to heavy a spring will cause the nose to dip.

I wish I knew what spring was in it now. I guess I should just buy a few different and try them.

yes a heavy spring can cause the nose to tip as the slide slams home. but that's like a 16lb spring!

most likely you have a 12 or there abouts. for a 40 major I wouldn't go lighter than a 9 or 10. try the 10.75 henning.

With springs. if I don't know what they are I either build a tester to test them against known weight springs. or I just toss them and buy new ones.

It's worth trying a few springs. I'd be trying a 10, 10.75 henning, a 12 and even a 13.

perhaps consider a sprinco. I know a few guys here using them in tanfoglio limited guns and love them. I'm using one in my eric custom now. bit early to say if it's working or not but the theory makes some sense.