Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of using a KKM barrell any experience?

ipscjoe

My gunsmith friend is rebuilding a topend on one of my raceguns and it was originally ramped for a barstow cut.......Barstow doesnt even sell their own ramp style anymore...just wilson/nowlin and para/clark.........He has two 38 super marked barrels........but here lies the problem........I want a barrel in both 38/38sc and also a second barrel in 9mm..so I can switch cartridges when I want........

He says that he can take a wilson/nowlin ramped barrel and cut about .030 off the lug and make it work...esentially maching it to be a "barstow" .. I'm just concerned with the durability....

The other option is that he can cut the bridge back and install barrels with wilson/nowlin ramps........

He mentioned KKM barrels once before but said that the few that he has installed were really close on their tollerances.....said they were only about .010 oversided on either side of the hood........Not the GIANORMOUS material that barstow leaves to be cut and he is a little hesitant......

Does anyone have any experience fitting KKM barrels? are they good?.......My STI bull barrel sucks and I'm going to a cone comp to get my accuracy back....

Thanks for any insight....

Joe

Hello: I have found that you either get a good KKM barrel or a bad one. I do like the STI barrels if they are fitted correctly. Schuemann or a SVI barrel are great barrels. I would cut your frame for a Clark/Para ramp then you will have lots of barrel choices. Thanks, Eric

I'd agree with taking the frame out to the Para/Clark cut. The last two guns I've had built were with KKMs but I haven't shot them for groups yet. They seem nice and my smith was happy with them.

The KKM bulls have a reputation of needing a bit more fitting than other brands. Slighly more meat on the barrel.

Edited to add I should clarify the more meat comment. I've heard of hoods being too narrow or short for an extremely tight fit. Neither of mine were. The additional material on the KKM has to do with the taper of the bull.

Edited by MikeRush

No barrel maker would warrantee a barrel that was modified by cutting lower impact surface.

I agree with AirCooled, Clark Para is the easiest cut to modify the frame. As far as choices go, let's face it it's SVI, Schumann, Barsto, and KKM.

These are the best barrels you can buy anywhere. They all have a C/P choice.

I switched KKM after building on the others because of their quality, price and (importantly) their customer service.

They have always had what I wanted in stock. Their prices are great, and they answer the phone!!

I Ransom Rest my builds after they break in, and KKM groups just as well as the others.

Fitting them is easy once you know that the bull taper is more oversize than expected.

• 2 weeks later...

The last 4 builds I have done have all used the KKM barrels. Can't say enough good about them. The first one I sent to my builder raised some eyebrows with him. He was a hard core Kart guy. After that first build, he was convinced. He did say that they required a bit more work to fit properly, but well worth it. He uses them now in all his builds. Some people call them the best barrel for the money. I think a better way to say it would be to say they are one of the best barrels period. They just so happen to be one of the best priced as well.

Edited by idHawk