Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Red Dot Sight for AR15????

DGDDS91

EOTech is a bit less troublesome to mount as you can just slap it on your flat top and go.

Aimpoint Comp M2 or Comp ML2 requires an additional mount.

EOTech has a smaller dot (1MOA) for precision work, and a 65 MOR donut for hosing. The Aimpoint dot is larger, but perfectly round and at 100 yards it's small enough for anything bigger than quarters.

Both are incredibly rugged.

Battery life on the Aimpoint is incredible! EOTech isn't bad, but it's not in the same league in that regard.

Shoot using both if you can, then choose. It's pretty much a personal preference issue.

Hate to add a variable but why do you want a red dot vs. a low powered scope?

Have you tried a low powered scope like the Simmons 1.5X5, Accupoint or the Leupold? They make shots past 40 yards easy and are still fast in close.

I have found that a low power variable works better for me from 5 to 500 yards.

A dot is slightly faster in real close but those penalties on longer misses will kill your score.

Unless this is for something like deployment then go with the toughest you can find like the Aimpoint.

• 1 month later...

the real question, is how tuff do you need it? the aimpoint and eotech are the top red dots in the market b/c they are the most durable. i have an aimpoint myself b/c i reliable source say that marine corps test have had the least failures w. the aimpoint compaired to the eotech. but both are pretty good. the recitcals are totally different and i really depends on what you like. i like the simple single red dot of the aimpoint. it is very fast. maybe the fastest b/c nothing really gets in the way. aimpoint is coming out w. a new model the M3 (night vison compatible) and ML3 (non-night vison) which are supposed to have even better battery life (around 40,000 hours) and even more rugged (it can be go underwater even deeper than before). the Larue tactical mounts are the best for the aimpoints. aimpoint is even coming out w/ a magnifier for the sight which can be mounted behind the aimpoint to give it a magnification of x3 (or x4 ican't remember). this means you can convert for distance shots later. i'm looking in to maybe getting one of these for myself.

all this being said, do you really need the top of the line? aimpoints run btwn $300-400. are you going to be using the sight in super adverse conditions? really, only hard core military users or extremely high round shooters need that kind of durability. the rest of us just want it b/c it is cool. if it will only be for range work and an occational shootingn match, why not get something 1/2 or even 1/4 the price. a friend of mine has had good luck w/ an ultra dot. he has had it for years and only now does it need to be replaced. for a new shooter, maybe get something cheaper to figure out what you like and how to use a red dot and then upgrade to the best.

but, if you really know that you want a red dot and you want the best, aimpoint all the way.

Having tried to economize and go midrange on red dots more than once, I only see two viable options.

1. Save your pennies and go for top of the line (Aimpoint or EOTech)

2. Go as cheap as possible and live with the deficiencies

Trying to go midrange brought me nothing but frustration. The mid range dots are often no more rugged or reliable than the $35 piece of poo sight, and you spend a lot of extra money just to realize you really wanted an Aimpoint in the first place.

The Hakko Tacpoint (Aimpoint knock-off) is apparently pretty decent and runs around $100.

My new Hakko Tacpoint arrived today. It was only $95 including shipping. Waiting on my 1/2" riser rail then I will mount it and see how it does.

If you have a A3 upper and a fixed front sight. Look at the C-More Tactical. It has the red dot infront of the rear sight but low enough to use the irons if needed. If you forget to turn it off on the stage before and the battery goes south then the iron sight are there. I have one on a 9mm carbine and have had the sun wash out the dot and just reverted to the irons. This will place you in Tactical division if the pistol and shotgun are limited.

As the proud owner of a new $40 Tasco, where you pay the price on the cheap stuff is dot visibility. The cheapies are almost unusable in bright daylight.

Almost? Bright? Your eyes are way better than mine. B)

While 3 Gunning is not in the same league as jumping out of a helicopter over Mogadishu, we are pretty hard on our stuff. I think it is false economy to buy cheap now because you are going to pay later. I regret every 2d tier (or even 3rd tier) item that I've ever bought in this game. Get the good stuff up front even if you have to save up for it. That means Eotech or Aimpoint. I myself prefer the Eo.

I don't like the CMore because it is a huge pain to adjust.

If you really don't want to spend a lot of $$, go the Bennie Hill route and get a Simmons low-powered variable.

Take a look at a Bushnell holosight. If you mount it on a flat top, it's high enough so you're not looking for the dot. It has a 1 min. dot with an outer ring. The dot's great out to 200 yards (for me) and the large ring makes it easy to pick up close.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

C-More gets my vote. Aimpoint is good too. I just prefer the heads up type scope as it gives more peripheral vision.

As for the C-More being hard to adjust I think that's a benefit. It has set screws to lock the adjustment in place. It holds a zero perfectly and I beat the snot out of mine. I had the older plastic scout model and it went through hell and back with me. I met Ira Kay at the shot show and told him how well mine had worked in Iraq and he had me send it in for one of the new Aluminum ones. My only complaint with the site period was that the first two IR clicks were too dim to work with NVG's in moderate light. Using click 1 visible fixed this problem, though I don't think this would really apply to most people.

It depends on whether or not you have an A2 or A3 but I prefer an A2 with the sight scout mounted above the handguard. BUIS don't give me the same confidence as a carrying handle permanently fixed to the upper. That's more of a personal choice though.

Alan

Ill throw another vote for the EOTech. Used a Bushnell holosight for years and recently upgraded to a EOTech with 'AA' batteries. Ive also shot an AR with an OKO. Light weight, plenty bright dot, decent price. It would have to be my second vote for use on an AR. They also sell a metal guard for the OKO to make it more durable.

I've been running OKO on the handguards of my various (Open) AR's for the last few years. They work just fine...light, easy to use, decent (4moa) dot. Great field of view (why I don't care for the Aimpoint), light (why I don't care for the EOTech), and fairly inexpensive (C-more ;) ).

I have all the other sights...and then some, including cool new TruGlo. While I have an EOTech on my mondo shotgun (where weight isn't exactly a concern), my rifles wear OKO.

Alex