Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is timing Jerry Miculek comp necessary?

lucas

I'd say it depends on you. If you need to time it to get it to shoot flat, do it. If you and your gun shoot flat without any high right with the comp straight up, leave it. I have a Rolling Thunder that I've tuned for me, bigger hole in the top, and one on the right side. Jerry shot it and said it pushed low left for him. Don't shoot open so can't speak to anything about that.

Though it is not really necessary I have 4 of my rifles with Miculek comps and they have been timed.. I prefer the Miculek comp to the majority of the comps on the market..I currently have 5 other ARs with assorted comps and none of them work as well as the Miculek

It depends on the variables, of which you, the shooter are one. Larry's gun should not shoot "perfect" for Jerry, and vice-versa. In reality it is your sight picture that will tell you what is the best, not the video of you to the side. If you pull the trigger on a 100 yard shot, do you see the bullet strike in the crosshairs? If not, you have some work to do on the set-up until it is right for you. If you double your rifle on a 25 yards target with one sight picture, do you get a spread of a few inches or less? Is the second shot always in the same direction away from the first shot?

At Superstition, I bump fired my AR on a clay sitting on the shoulder of a no-shoot...both rounds hit the clay...that is a properly set-up system!

There are not a lot of rank and file 3Gunners who have their system (including the comp) set up correct...they have made choices based on a variety of things, but usually not their on-target performance.

Get thee to the range with 100 rounds and do the tests and evaluation of your system and adjust it to you.

Edited by MarkCO