Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation scoring goof

I was watching 3 Gun Nation event #1, stage 5. Ravin Perry ran the stage in 24.71. Hoerner runs the stage next in 26.06. It appeared that Hoerner shot the stage smoother and faster. I watched it a couple more times and was convinced that Hoerner was faster. Put the stop watch to it and Perry actually shot it in 30 seconds and change. Makes me wonder how many scoring gaffs actually happen at a match.

It would not be the first time that an incorrect time was recorded for a shooter. The position (where the RO is holding it) and sensitivity of the timer device can cause shots to not be picked up. If you watch a good RO run a stage, you will note that when the shooter is nearing the end of the stage that the clock is held high so that the RO can watch the shooter and the display.

I was watching 3 Gun Nation event #1, stage 5. Ravin Perry ran the stage in 24.71. Hoerner runs the stage next in 26.06. It appeared that Hoerner shot the stage smoother and faster. I watched it a couple more times and was convinced that Hoerner was faster. Put the stop watch to it and Perry actually shot it in 30 seconds and change. Makes me wonder how many scoring gaffs actually happen at a match.

I'm shocked! They have the video. Call the replay official.

I noticed that Daniel's stage seemed faster while watching it. I quickly dismissed the thought and figured that I wasn't paying close enough attention because I was playing on my phone too at the time. But, I did notice that either Pat or Chad made the comment that Daniel's time was "a couple of seconds slower than the time posted" for Ravin. I thought that was a strange choice of wording since I had already thought the time was off. They usually would say "slower than his time". Maybe they noticed that the scoring was wrong in post production. But, it was too little too late at that point.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this plays into it but I've seen on 3GN where they show the shooters raw time after they're done and then later when they show the stage results they show the times with the penalties figured in. As we all know these two times can be vastly different and only the last one counts.

I agree with Mark. So many RO's I see are not experienced. Many I have talked to have never shot anything but 3 gun. Goes back to no set rules for 3 gun. I appreciate them working, but some training is needed.

I agree with Mark. So many RO's I see are not experienced. Many I have talked to have never shot anything but 3 gun. Goes back to no set rules for 3 gun. I appreciate them working, but some training is needed.

Why would anyone want to shoot something other than 3 gun? Show me any rule that eliminates bad RO's. Mr. Hendrix was well trained, look where that got USPSA. Down two area directors and a black eye. If the RO's screw the pooch then don't have them back. Want to see beter RO's at 3GN shoots, then step up. I hate 3 gun nation about as much as anyone, but shit happens.