Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight removal on the TS

RescueYou

Step 1: Add heat (in case of loctite)

Step 2: big hammer

My table where I do most of my gun work isn't as stable as it needs to be for this type of thing sometimes so I occasionally use the cement floor in my laundry.

If I remember there was a set screw so obviously get that out first in you haven't already.

Heating up the sight may make things worse..heat expansion.. I'd try a liberal spraying (also on the set screw hole), or even soaking overnight, in WD40, and then attempt removal again..

Edited by SouthpawG26

I had to cut the front site out of a Smith pro shop 45. I just took a dremel cutting wheel and cut 90% of the way though once and then tapped it out. The relief cut allowed the site to flex enough to be tapped right out and I did not cut into the slide....

Try the freezer!

I recently build a new work bench out of a 1 1/2" butcher block kitchen table I got off Craigslist and bolted the corner with the vise to the ground with a pipe stand and sight come out really easy now :)

Also, how heavy is the hammer you're using? I use a 10 oz ball peen hammer.

Not sure if this will help, but, in addition to freezing and lubricating and solid vise, I always try to tap CZ rear sights out from the left hand side of the slide, as you are holding the pistol normally. I recall hearing that the sights are installed from the right at the factory.

The answer is.....a bigger hammer.

You need a vise and some blocks of wood to keep from marring the slide while it's put in the vise as tightly as possible. Hammer the hell out of it with a punch, to the right.

Edited by pivoproseem