Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone loading for a Springfield Range Officer?

Bluemooncricket

Just picked up a 9mm Range Officer for Steel Challenge and IDPA and have had less than desireable results with my current 124 gr reloads. I'm using WST with MG jhp, Zero fmjfp, and BBI. They function fine but don't deliver much in the accuracy department. They are more accurate in my 5" M&P. Perhaps I should explore other bullet weights?? I would like to try some other powders but you know how that goes.....

Any help from 9mm 1911 owners would be greatly appreciated!

Did you try adjusting the length to suit your 1911?

I had a Springfield Loaded Target that was unbelievably accurate with 124 grain 9MM loads. Including MG HP's, extreme 124 HP's and also 135 grain ball.

Like said, try different oal's. You also didn't state what weight powder you're using. You can also adjust that in small increments to see if that helps.

Personally I use 4gr titegroup with both 124gr fmj and coated bullets. Both very accurate.

I just posted in the 1911 forum about my findings concerning the barrel freebore. Basically, I tried the plunk test to determine a suitable OAL and never engaged the rifling. A MG 124 Jhp went past 1.299!!! I'm thinking this is a problem.

What do you guys think? Btw, thanks for the replies!

Edited by Bluemooncricket

I bought a 9mm RO Monday. I spent the last couple of days "fixing" it. By the time I got through "whittling" on it I have a pretty darn accurate 1911. It now has a crisp 1 1/2 lb trigger pull, magwell with 17lb. main spring, extended mag release, different grips and thumb safety. I replaced the sear with a EGW and a Nowlin sear spring. The slide release had a .197" pin diameter. Replaced that with a .200". That gave me positive barrel to slide contact. Thank goodness I did not have to use a .202" pin. Frame holes would have needed to be reamed. Dumped the firing pin for a steel one.

I actually like the long throat. I load a 160 gr lead bullet out to 1.200". Same as a 9mm Kimber. The gun shoots very soft at a 130PF. Obviously you have to use 38 Super mags.

A FO front should be here Monday. I think my wife is going to like it in ESP.

Edited by Joe D

I use a 135 gr BBI loaded with 3.85 of N320 at 1.150 OAL with Dawson Precision Mags

Which pistol are you running these in? Have you ever checked the max oal that would run in the Dawson mags?

Edited by Bluemooncricket

I bought a 9mm RO Monday. I spent the last couple of days "fixing" it. By the time I got through "whittling" on it I have a pretty darn accurate 1911. It now has a crisp 1 1/2 lb trigger pull, magwell with 17lb. main spring, extended mag release, different grips and thumb safety. I replaced the sear with a EGW and a Nowlin sear spring. The slide release had a .197" pin diameter. Replaced that with a .200". That gave me positive barrel to slide contact. Thank goodness I did not have to use a .202" pin. Frame holes would have needed to be reamed. Dumped the firing pin for a steel one.

I actually like the long throat. I load a 160 gr lead bullet out to 1.200". Same as a 9mm Kimber. The gun shoots very soft at a 130PF. Obviously you have to use 38 Super mags.

A FO front should be here Monday. I think my wife is going to like it in ESP.

Did you have to change anything to run the .200 slide release? Were there any tell tale signs that it was needed or just the fact that the original was a .197? Are you still running the ILS mainspring housing?

Blue, you really need to check before you just stick in a .200" slide stop. I use Dykem http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/1172/dykem/hi-spot/dykem-hi-spot-blue to coat the rear lug recess of the barrel. Rack the slide a few times to see if the barrel lug is contacting the slide lug. You could probably use a Sharpie also. Mine has full contact when in battery. I did a trigger job on a friend's .45 RO and saw that his had good contact with the stock slide stop. It will vary a bit from gun to gun.

Blue, you really need to check before you just stick in a .200" slide stop. I use Dykem http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/1172/dykem/hi-spot/dykem-hi-spot-blue to coat the rear lug recess of the barrel. Rack the slide a few times to see if the barrel lug is contacting the slide lug. You could probably use a Sharpie also. Mine has full contact when in battery. I did a trigger job on a friend's .45 RO and saw that his had good contact with the stock slide stop. It will vary a bit from gun to gun.

So if I have even contact with the pin and barrel lug it should be good to go. Thanks for the tip. I'm much more accustomed to working on M&P's!

You should have even contact on the BOTTOM lug and slide stop pin. The barrel has two lug recesses, just in front of the hood, where the slide lugs fit into. You should have contact with the rear lug. Building a 1911 from scratch is in some ways easier in that you use a Wilson lug cutter to cut the bottom lug.http://www.blindhogg.com/pics/tool5.jpg OTOH you can use a Kart Easy Fit barrel. I have done a couple of these. What you want to do is install the slide stop. Then slowly ease the slide forward. If the pin is too large it won't go into battery. If the slide goes into battery put some marker in the rear barrel lug recess and close the slide. Look for marks in the marker.

You should have even contact on the BOTTOM lug and slide stop pin. The barrel has two lug recesses, just in front of the hood, where the slide lugs fit into. You should have contact with the rear lug. Building a 1911 from scratch is in some ways easier in that you use a Wilson lug cutter to cut the bottom lug.http://www.blindhogg.com/pics/tool5.jpg OTOH you can use a Kart Easy Fit barrel. I have done a couple of these. What you want to do is install the slide stop. Then slowly ease the slide forward. If the pin is too large it won't go into battery. If the slide goes into battery put some marker in the rear barrel lug recess and close the slide. Look for marks in the marker.

Got it. So how do those Kart EZ fit barrels perform?

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to post an update:

My RO's accuracy is improving the more I shoot it and I've found a suitable minor load for it. A 147 gr Blue Bullet over 4.0 grains of WST @1.15 is giving me repeatable 2" groups @ 15 yds. I think there is more potential in the pistol with more load development, but for now I'm satisfied. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

• 4 years later...

Here are a few loads that worked really well in my old Glock 17L with a Lone Wolf Barrel - it's got a long throat too.

Bullet:  Precision Delta 147 gr. FMJ-RN
Powder:  Winchester WSF 4.2 grs.
Primer:  Federal 100
Case:  Federal
LOAL:  1.150
Average Velocity:  955.08 fps  
ES:  29.22
SD:  9.53

Bullet:  Bullet Works 147 gr. Plated RN
Powder:  Alliant Power Pistol 4.3 grs.
LOAL:  1.145
Average Velocity:  916.41 fps  
ES:  30.58
SD:  10.04

Bullet:  Bullet Works 147 gr. Plated RN  
Powder:  VihtaVuori N320 3.7 grs.
LOAL:  1.145
Average Velocity:  943.93 fps  
ES:  28.97
SD:  10.34

From a Springfield Armory XDm 5.25 with factory barrel.

Bullet:  Precision Delta 147 gr. FMJ-RN
Powder:  VihtaVuori N320 3.6 grs.
LOAL:  1.150
Average Velocity:  988.81 fps  
ES:  17.97
SD:  5.74