Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR build advice

WidowsSon683

Ok so i have everything either installed (except the damn pivot pin) or en route except the barrel/comp and the handguard. Im waiting for my BCG to get delivered and ill have to buy the barrel/comp and handguard over a couple paychecks. Ill post pictures in a couple days.

• 1 month later...

+1 on the CMC triggers. Oh and don't forget your 6.5 grendel upper for maximum hunting/long range plinking versatility. Don't get me wrong, I think 223 is a useful moderate range whitetail round and I've seen it work great but for anything bigger or further away more horsepower is recommended. Hunting only demands 0.7% of my gun interest and longer range only uses 6% and the rest is all 3gun so I don't own one yet but all 6.5g guns I've seen have been impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tentative build list: Budget $1400

AeroPrecision upper/lower set $131

Maric Arms 223 wylde 18" SS fluted mid length barrel $155

Magpul MOE Rifle stock $67

Trinity 15" free float fore end $70

PSA 5.56 Full Auto NiB BCG $120

DPMS lower parts kit (minus trigger parts) $30

Random upper parts $24

Double Star charging handle with TacLatch $37

AeroPrecision buffer tube kit $40

CMC Tactical Trigger group curved $125

BTE low profile adj. gas block and mid length tube $55

45 deg. offset irons $30

All the above are either being shipped or are already received. All im missing is my muzzle brake and optics.

Fortis RED black brake $68

Nikon P223 $200

All I have left to do is install the barrel/free float/gas block & tube and brake when I order it.

This will put me right at $1152. $250 under budget. But ill probably blow that on mags and ammo.

I would put the extra money on optics.

The Nikon is nice, I love mine, but there are nicer. Burris is a little faster for me and is where my current budget takes me. Noticeable difference in clarity, brightness and being able to use the scope.

I am beginning to truly believe the saying that optics should cost as much as the rifle.

DNH

It sounds like you are on the right track. If I have to pick the two most critical items on a rifle I would say that its the sighting system and the trigger. This assumes you have a reliable gun that shoots OK, and OK is subjective. A good piece of glass is the way to go and you will notice this item every single time you pull the trigger. Might I suggest a used LEUPOLD Mk4 1.5-5 you can get them for 500-600 used if you look around and its money well spent. Different hand guards and comps are nice but you will not notice them all that much. You can live without a good trigger; I shot high master scores with a stock COLT AR trigger in the past so it CAN be done. I have a CMC trigger (I think) and its a good choice. I you have the opportunity, you might try a few others out there before you buy as for another 100 you could have almost anything out there and the trigger is the other item that you will notice each and every other time. I don't know anything about that barrel so I cant comment...experience does tell me that you get what you pay for when it comes to a barrel....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...