Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magwell

Shotz

dawson has 2 . the ice 5.5 once version and the 5.8once.

the ice comes with the magwell insert, the 5.8 doesn't accept the insert.

i have both and like the ice insert. you may slam the mag ,the insert '' drive ''' the mag in the funnel without hooking on the edges .

however, i also have the super heavy ZEV, heavier than both dawson i guess. you can't go wrong with any of them, although you might like the insert on the dawson ice.

I never really got why people want magwells with replacable inserts. For me that's just one more part that I will have to replace later.

Better get a solid magwell. I am using the Dawson Precision super-heavy magwell: Built like a tank and really improves my grip by keeping my support hand in place during shooting.

Still, I'm trying to get my hands on the SJC magwell to give it a try. Problem is: You don't get that one (or other custom gun parts) so easily in Europe.

I've got the stainless Zev heavy (it is something like 7.7oz compared to the brass one at 7.9, i just prefer the polished look) and it works perfectly well. I recently saw the SJC heavy though and that is a big 'ol hole to get the mag in, even compared to my zev. I might be looking at one of those for my next one.

I never really got why people want magwells with replacable inserts. For me that's just one more part that I will have to replace later.

The insert is super slick and the magazines slip right in. When the insert gets beat up.....grab a new one. The magwell is like new again!

The zev is metal and the mags catch on the metal and sometimes hang up. The magwell gets all scraped up. MY heavy zev magwell cost $120 to replace.....the dawson insert cost $20

I have both and prefer the dawson.

Interesting, 3djedi. I never looked at it this way.

My first Glock magwell was a Dawson ICE with inserts and I did manage to break an insert. Granted, I can be an oaf sometimes but that piece of plastic felt so brittle and flimsy that it swore me off the inserts - especially since a replacement insert costs way more in Germany, if you manage to get one in time at all.

I have used all above mentioned but have only owned ZEV magwells for my pistols. For me it was purely aesthetics that made my decision... All of them work great, inserts are cool, I don't mind not having one though. The feel of the magwell on my pinky while gripping was improved with every magwell, and I honestly couldn't tell a difference... Basically, I don't think you can go "wrong" with any of these... But the Zev definitely wins the beauty pageant side of things ;-)