Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What're the real advantages of a shorter barrel?

I'm new to 3gun and am looking to replace my 20in 8 shot Mossberg 500 with a Benelli m2 26in. I've notice that a lot of people opt for 21 or 24 inch barrels for 3 gun, but then add extended tubes that go way past the muzzle. I can see the advantages of a shorter barrel in terms of handling, but I don't see how these advantages transfer over when you have an extended tube on it as well that makes it just as long as an extended barrel. I was wondering if there was something I was missing since longer barrels give you a better sight plane and it only adds a hair of weight and no length with a 10 round tube.

Other than saving a bit of weight I don't think it's a big deal to have a longer barrel any more. Back when it was 8 round tubes only it was nice to have a shorter gun but now you really want a minimum of a 10 round tube. On one on my guns a 10 round tube is about flush with a 26" barrel. I justice got a new 3 gun shotgun a few months ago and a 28 inch was around $200 cheaper than any of the 26" model's that I could find so I picked up the 28". I am running a 12 round mag tube which is still a few inches past the end of the barrel and with just a fiber front and sighting down that long rib I have had no issues with having slugs find their target.

Edited by alma

Barrels were limited to 22" in Soldier of Fortune Matches. Some matches like Superstition Mountain and Ft. Benning had stages where you really didn't want a long barrel because there were ports and complicated arrays that required a lot of gun manipulation and moving in tight spaces. Matches tend to not have those kind of stages anymore. That said, things tend to go in cycles and we will probably go back to 8+1 for Tactical, at some time. Even though I run a big tube like everybody else now, it looks like an insect and is definitely unwieldy compared to a 21" with an 8+1 tube. I am not sure how the restrictions were lifted for USPSA for Tactical and why some matches decided to follow that, their outlaw status notwithstanding, and some did not. The issue has always been loading and how difficult it was, etc., etc. etc. Now all shotguns can have Open length tubes and can be loaded to Open capacity about 3 seconds after the buzzer. There is no advantage to a longer barrel. That is why you will continue to see 21" and 22" barrels. Once you get past 24", you will definitely notice the weight. It is difficult to transport a long tube shotgun in a normal car. So, the real advantages of a shorter barrel are speed, maneuverability, and compactness.

I still prefer my 21" Benelli w/8+1 to a longer set up. I've encountered many stages in the past where tight courses were frustrating for guys with longer tubes. It may not be the trend to make stages like that at big matches (I wish it were) but still see simulated hallways etc where it can have an impact. Never felt under gunned with 8+1 and no matter the bbl length you must know your choke/pattern and choose accordingly.

I bought the 21" rather than the 24" because it was in stock at the time of purchase.

The 21" with the +4 extension fits in the safe and in the 46" VooDoo bag - the 24" would not.

All those technical swing weight/shot pattern/recoil answers are all BS.......... :roflol:

I use a standard cab 4X4 Diesel pick up and I have never encountered a shotgun too long to fit in the bed.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

I run a 26" M2 and have yet to have any issues. I run a Skeet2 (Light Mod) choke for 99.999999999999% of my shooting, including fast/close shooting and slugs alike. 26" barrel with extended choke tube is level with my RCI 10rd one piece tube. When I run my two rd extension on the end, it's still longer than the barrel, so I'm in no hurry to go to a shorter gun.

I think it makes the most sense to go for a 26in based on what I see here. That would be better for hunting (which is another hobby of mine) and won't give me a disadvantage for 3 gun with a long tube

Go for the 26" if you are hunting! Better wing shooting with longer barrel.

I bought the 21" rather than the 24" because it was in stock at the time of purchase.

The 21" with the +4 extension fits in the safe and in the 46" VooDoo bag - the 24" would not.

All those technical swing weight/shot pattern/recoil answers are all BS.......... :roflol:

OUCH! It's just science and physics. Hard to argue that. (think about a 10 lb gun vs. a 2 lb gun, a 30" barrel vs a 4" barrel,...etc.)

The shooter is the most important part of the gun. I get beat by guys with 21"-28" barrels all the time.