Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Action Pistol: 2005 Results & Progress

rhino

Rhino, good goal man, that is gonna be one of mine as well. I wanna do 1600 in Met. Sight and 1880 in Open. Of course it will all be the club stuff, and I'll be doing it with my evil Open gun. Looks like the work situation may change and Ill be able to shoot some more AP this year, I hope.

I posted this just today on the Results and Progress 2004 but I will repeat it here and let the other thread die or fade away.

I shot my best ever mover score yesterday with a metallic sight gun. I posted a 463-17X. My goal this year is to break 1750 at the Biachi Cup.

I have no clue what to expect from my open gun since it still is not done yet. But I would like to shoot an 1850 with it. I will set a firm goal after I use it for a couple months.

Dirty Steve, Out.

Looks like the work situation may change and Ill be able to shoot some more AP this year, I hope.

That would be most excellent! Hopefully BigDave will be around to shoot more with us this year too. We can make fun of him between our strings on the Practical.

I shot my best ever mover score yesterday with a metallic sight gun. I posted a 463-17X. My goal this year is to break 1750 at the Biachi Cup.

Awesome! Good luck meeting your goals!

Rhino and Alan,

Thanks for the kind words. I have been working hard since my dismal performance at last years cup. Of course I did shoot a stock Glock.

Rhino, Your choice of the 9mm is a good one. I'm using a Kimber with a Kart barrel, trigger job and had the front sight narrowed. I think the thinner sight help as much as any of the rest.

Dirty Steve, Out.

Previously I posted a suggestion on a different thread about shooting the 4 Bianchi events without using the clock. Obviously the mover is done on still target, or fewer shots per pass. This test is to establish likely best possible score that anyone could ever dream of, as "you" have whatever amount of time "you" deem necessary to make your best shot. It also reveals skill weaknesses. Later when fired under the clock, the weaknesses and strengths may change. As we all know the "clock" does strange things to us. :wacko:

Has anyone tried this? If so, what was the difference in your score vs one of your better performances under match or near match conditions? I would say near match is when all rules and times are followed and there was at least one person watching you. (That one person should be someone who has never seen you shoot, but someone you told how great you are! That's pressure!!! ) :(

Anyone?

MJ

Previously I posted a suggestion on a different thread about shooting the 4 Bianchi events without using the clock.

That sounds like a really good idea, but in my case, the time limits don't really affect me. The slower I go, the worse my hits are! :blink:

It makes sense on the mover, but then you're just practicing on a still target at the same distances. Any practice is good!

Rhino, Your choice of the 9mm is a good one. I'm using a Kimber with a Kart barrel, trigger job and had the front sight narrowed. I think the thinner sight help as much as any of the rest.

Steve ... there's another topic in one of the other forums where I talk about my trials and tribulations with my Springfield 9mm. When I got it, it was not encouraging (to say the least). I had Neil Keller refit the original barrel and the accuracy has improved dramatically, as has the smootheness of the cycling. I also had him narrow the front sight to 0.090 inches, so I'm with you on the narrow front sights!

My own thoughts on the time element in AP, and specifically at Columbia since the Practical and Barricade use turning targets and the plates are locked after time elapses, is that it isn't so much of an issue of time to shoot or shoot accurately, but rather opportunity to do so. The Mover is the same, but it is the same everywhere ('cause it's the Mover!). It is better for me to think in terms of opportunity, rather than time. It may be semantics, but it works for me. Another thing I think about when considering the time needed to make an accurate shot is the difference between shooting Open and Metallic. For those who have been to a match, think of the differences in cadence. One the first things I was taught was, "don't try to keep up with the Open guys". Why would they tell me that? (rhetorical question).

Brian once suggested that you choot the match Comstock. Although I haven't tried it intentionally, it is amazing what you and your blaster can do under the proper application of focus and trigger control. As an example, I once had a jam after the 1st shot on the 15 yd Mover (r to l). I cleared the jam and had very little time to place the remaining 5 shots. I knew I had to get five accurate shots off and fast, and that's all that I did. I think that target scored a 118.

I think the unlimited time thing would be interesting for all of the events, but the mover. What all the events have in common is puting your sights somewhere specific on the target and keeping them there. The Mover adds the dynamic of, well, movement. The Practical would cover you there, if you were so inclined.

Going to the cup for my first time this year

I finally got a 471 and 474 on the barricades this week

today i finally got a 45 and 46 on the plates Grrrrrrrrr man what is it with those plates....????Grrrrrrrrrr. Especailly the 20 yd line....

Those are some excellent scores! I've only gone a little over 400 on the barricade and I'd be apoplectic if I whacked 40 plates!

Leroy, Those are great scores. Are they metallic sight or Open. If they are metallic sight, I think you should sit out this year at the cup for sure :D Just kidding, when you get in the 470's it's just plain good shooting regardless of the gun.

Those plates are just unforgiving. A 42 or 43 has been my best.

Rhino, Mmy 9 has a Kart barrel installed by Alex Hamilton. It shoots very small groups. I wish I had a Ransom rest. I shoots about 1.25" groups at 25 yds. Some smaller some bigger. But thats a good average.

Dirty Steve, Out.

Steve

It is my new open gun i just had built

last year i was shootin a revolver big change for sure.

Hope i get to get back out to the range today and try the plates again

Alan and Kevin have been a great help to me so if i keep my ears open and my mouth shut maybe i can improve some more...

Leroy

Leroy, Whew, if that was a Metallic gun I was going to try doubling my range time. It is a good score for Open to just I am going to shoot metallic and don't need the extra competition. Haha.. Alan and Kevin know thier stuff. Going with the Sir Winston Chruchill approach if in doubt is always a good idea. He always said, "I am easily satisfied with te very best." B)

Rhino, Mine was not that bad to begin with, thank God. But now really is a tack driver. It needs some one better than me to shoot it to wring out the full potential. The gunsmith said it should do about 2" at 50 with good ammo. He is not to keen on Winchester White Box. He said when he tested it he could not get groups under 3" at 50. But to me that is good. He like 124 gr Black Hills, and gets groups under 2" with it. I shoot only my cast bullets so his ammo testing does little for me. He did say the testing was done quite a few years back and the ammo has probably improved across the board since then. I know recently Winchester went to a new bullet in the White Box. Robbie L. probly had some thing to do with that change. Just a guess.

Dirty Steve, out. :wacko:

Steve,

Yeah,

Sir winston i will remeber that one they are great teachers and have had a lot of patience with this ole hillbilly for sure

I made it back to the plate rack today wow

48 Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee:))))))))))) My first time cleaning the rack......

and then a 44 ugh

only problem is. the only Witness of my 48 was a buzzard flying over ...I am still looking for him LOL

Leroy

Steve

Yes i should have quit while i was ahead but i guess i needed cut back down to earth at that moment... lol

and there is always room for one more hillbilly... but hey man i still got most of my hair and all of my teeth so i am a little ahead of that game lol

Now if i can find that buzzard to prove i cleaned the plates ....

Leroy

First time on the range in 8 weeks.

Open gun, spare one as normal handgun is getting a little sloppy in the frame fit dept and off to the Gun Plumber.

Plates 460-46X

Mover 466 (with out mover base due to operator forgetting the tools to set it up)

Practical 450 (don't ask)

Barricade 480-43X

Can't rememeber the X count for the other as I was having a bad day, and forgot to write them down. It was not flash.

Metallic sight gun stayed in bag ran out of time to shoot both.

Safety on the new gun is too small on the right hand side of the pistol for my short fat thums too properly take off. Should have checked as it was this way last time I picked the gun up. Thought I could get through. WRONG.

Allgoodhits/MJ,

Yes, have tried your idea, and still do it. This especially works great for new shooters.

Take any of the four bianchi events, start on the first stage and just shoot it at a comfortable speed/cadence. Keep doing this until you're comfortable, then move on/back to the next stage. Naturally at some point in time you gotta break out the timer and start the whole drill under time, one stage at a time. But at least you know you CAN hit the Xring. Although it's exceptionally difficult to do under time, if you can shoot for the Xring and not worry about the time during matches, you'll have the accuracy down, and speed will catch up over time. But that's easier said than done. Take your time and get three solid Xs, 30 points. Or blaze away and hope for a 10, an 8 and four fives, 38 points.

As far as the mover goes, we do as you described, maybe only get 2 or 3 shots off at the 10 yard line, but make each shot count. Additionally, take a black (or other color you like) marker and make a couple big dots on the target at your lead point. Shoot at those dots. This will do two things, ensure you have the correct lead point, as well as proving to yourself you can hit the X and 10 rings on the mover. It's slow, and takes time. But when you watch a new shooter hit two Xs in a row on the mover and that huge smile, you know it's positive progress as opposed to them getting 5 5s and 1 8 on the first pass and wondering what happened.

It's all good and worthwhile practice. You start feeling confident in yourself. Then I drive across two states to shoot a match, forget my right side safety fell off and was in my pocket and dropped 5 shots on the barricade. I've got dozens of anecdotes like this where I drove XX miles and did XX...

On the bright side, for the first time in 13 months I beat Dirty Steve in the MS category. Normally I shoot open gun, but have shot MS off and on the past two years. Somewhere Dirty Steve bragged about shooting a 463 on the mover -- he did, I scored the target. I was trying to beat him with his own gun for bragging rights and beat me like a step child.....

Good luck

Steve,

We had a steel match sunday and before we started Kevin and I ran the plates..

He beat me of course

Kevin 46

leroy 45

It was cold and windy...

But Keven just came back form the ER with sand in his eye from us workin here in my shop the nite before.. so i guess I will have to give him a break...

He is hard to beat on a good day..damm he can shoot that good with one eye...hum????

But at least I had a witness on the 45 besides the Buzzard..

We ran the Praitcal before that Now I wont talk about that :(

It was sad Kevein had me going prone so much I couldn't hardly walk ... Gettin too old here ...

Leroy