Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Action Pistol: 2005 Results & Progress

rhino

Leroy, I told you to get debris in both his eyes, and then hit him on the right wrist with a tire tool. You sure didn't follow my instructions. Haha. That going prone stuff requires a person be in shape to do it quickly and repeatedly. And yet another reason I don't do it. :D My open gun will be done soon so I may get in to some kind of shape,(round is a shape right?) and start going prone.

Can not wait to redeem myself this week end. Last week end was dismal to say the least.

Dirty Steve, Out

Hey! This isn't figure skating ya know?

Leroy is really starting to put things together. He's only had that gun a few weeks and he's really improving. I predict he will be shooting high expert scores and bumping Master by the end of the year.

I picked up my Metallic gun today. As soon as I got home I ran out back and tried it out. It runs!!!!!!!! I shot my pet Action load of 4.6 grains of WST and a 115 gr bullet. The gun is an STI 6 inch longslide with a long dust cover and I was surprised at how little the muzzle jumped as the shot was fired. Now all I have to do is get the trigger pull down and do some cosmetic work.

So watch out Steve. If you guys let me shoot 2 guns this year I'll give you a run for your money.

Kevin

Kevin, Your on bud. Of course I am going to take a page from Leroy's play book and throw dirt in your eyes. Maybe we can get Cledus to shoot two gun too. His open gun is back from getting hard chromed and is ready for final testing this Sunday. He finally beat me with a MS gun. I must now whip him with an open gun.

Dirty Steve, Out.

Cleaned the plates with the Met sight gun...in practice. Now just have to do it at a match. That's the tough one!!!

GM,

A Kiwi kidnapping??!!! Hmm.

Not to worry, I'm free of that debacle but thanks anyway. ;)

Now just have to scrape some funds together after finding a new job. <_<

SRT Driver,

Congrats on cleaning the plates. That is quite an achievement with a MS gun.

I have a problem with prone at fifty and an MS gun any technique suggestions? I shoot good up untill fifty then half my shots are 5's.. I am stumped. I will start a new thread on 50 yrd shooting. I don't want this thread to go off on a tangent.

Dirty Steve, out.

Steve

Use the time you have, sight, trigger, works every time it is tried. Are you shooting high at 50? If so you may be inadvertently raising the foresight to sharpen the focus.

One thing I found when I was shooting metallic, was weather or not you have a sharp foresight picture. A quick test is to take a usual sigh picture. Then raise the foresight out of the rear sight notch. Does the foresight get sharper? If it does you need to either decrease the width of the foresight, or increase the width of the rear sight notch.

A thing to remember with this is that in a competition these finer points are often missed. Take a couple of quick sight pictures and see what happens. Does it take a little more time to sharpen the focus on the foresight, if so you may need to fine tune the widths etc.

By the way, my personal best Metallic sight score was in practice before the "Cup" 1990. Posted a 1902 at a warm up match in Jefferson City. My score at the "Cup" was not up to the same standard, but good enough for third place Metallic.

GrantJ ;)

Steve,

That problem has vexed me since last year and have been working on it.

I found that the .125 front sight is wider than the target at 50. Maybe not everyone but that is how I see it.

First, the front sight is going to .90. Second, I'm going to try a 6 oclock hold at the bottom of the target with the proper number of clicks up, of course.

At the 'Cup last year, the guy that makes the Stick Shift mover base also makes a prone pad for a single stack which is nice. It raises the gun about 1.5" so you are not looking out of the top of your eye as much. That is the last resort but we'll see.

Mark,

Glad to hear about shooting two guns. If I can get the same number of shooters that I had last year I plan on having prizes in a combined aggregate. That would only be for centerfire Open and M/S, not rimfire. The shooter will have to declare their primary gun just like they are doing at the Cup this year. I plan on handling the prize distribution differently though. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It looks like I'm not going to make it to the regional in Lake Charles. There is a big steel match in PA that same weekend. I was looking at your schedule for April and I may be able to make that one. My next scheduled trip for your neck of the woods is around that time.

Hope the gun came back and is working well.

Did Steve get the solenoids for the turners?

Kevin

• 5 weeks later...

Shot an Action match yesterday in Salisbury, NC. They only shoot the Los Alamitos and the Plates but it's good trigger time. Shot both Open and Metallic. The new Metallic gun looks promising.

Open

Los Alamitos- 408 out of 420. Gun didn't eject case after firing the first round. Too cold? Ran like a watch after that.

Plates- 470 DAMN!!!!!!!!!! Missed one on the first run at 25, PRONE. Just a dumb mistake. I let the dot get too low on the plate.

Metallic

Los Alamitos- 407. I was clean back to the 25 yard stage. Got a little wobblly around the left side.

Plates- 410. Still needs work but I'll take it.

I sighted the gun in at 15 yards and ran with it. The gun ran great and feels real good with 13 rounds in the mag. I notice a big difference with only 7 in the mag.

Action Pistolero, I got my 6" 9mm in my hands now. I need to do some load developement but in a cruch Remington 115 JHP ammo and Blazer Brass 115's work very well. I shot the barricade in practice the other day. I dropped 16 points. But this was only the third day of shooting the gun. I know with a little practice that will be real close to perfect. The gun recoils more than one with a comp but runs with a wide variety of ammo. Still the recoil is not bad at all. Quite mild really. Now that my hand is healed from the dog incident I should be able to practice a bunch.

I think we may be able to salvage our old soleniods to turn our targets. I need to give my wife time to get tired of me so I can put more time into working on it. (She was in Iraq for a year and just got back).

Dirty Steve, Out. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have been working out some bugs with my draw and timing with the new gun. I shot a 478-26X on the barricade the other day now started working on the Practical. I shot a 460-23X today on it but still need to work on my draw. I fumble with it occassionally and it causes me to hurry when I don't have too. I fired all my strings at 50 with time left over. The 15 second string I was done in 10 seconds and some change. Once I get these bugs worked out and score over 470 I will move on to the plates. I figure practicing one at a time then refresing each one learned at the start of each practice session will make it easier to learn. But who knows. But it is looking promissing.

I have a couple thousand Zero bullets (115 JHP's) on the way so I can work up a load. With the 6 inch barrel I get 1250 fps with 5.0 grs of WST if memory serves me well. Don't quote me on the powder charge as I am a way from my home and notes as I type this. Always consult a loading manual. But what I am trying to get to before the disclaimer is that I get way more velocity than the manual is showing.

Dirty Steve, Out.

Steve,

I recently bought a replacement 012. The thing held the gun so tight that I almost pulled my pants off before the gun came out. I removed the spacer between the trigger block and the side. Problem solved. I got one for the STI and it works great. I couldn't remember if you bought one but when you talked about how the gun comes out of the holster I figured you may be having the same problem. You do have to pull straight up but it shouldn't take much movement to clear the holster.

What loading manual did you find your load in? I couldn't find one for WST so I made up my own. I'm using 4.6 with a 115 grainer. 1250 fps is a 143 pf. We only need 1043 fps to make power factor. Why beat yourself and the gun? My load is shooting 1115 fps. Plenty fast enough.

I was just giving you a hard time about having difficulties with the Open gun. I know you'll have it figured out by May.

Kevin

Kevin, I am using that same holster. Guess I will have to look at the part you are talking about and remove it. I had to modify the hell out of it due to the 6" slide and shroud. A comp would have made it fit with out a hitch. I have not yet settled on a load. I found the data in either the Nosler or Speer manual I don't remember which. I am going to find a accurate load hopefully around 1150 fps or so. The heavy slide takes up a lot of the energy. I think a 3 port comp and a 9mm would be the way to go. I think Chews (Mathews) is going to try that route. Cledus's gun is very accurate and zero jump when it is fired. But crap it spits out the bullets at 1350.

Dirty Steve, Out

• 2 months later...

Shot an Action match in Bedford, VA. this past Saturday. Needless to say I'm tickled with the results. Shot both Metallic and Open. I've been shooting the Metallic gun since Jan.

Metallic

Practical 456-23x

Barricade 466-34x

Mover 462-20x Had a jam from hell and couldn't get the last shot off.

Plates 410-41x needs alot of work

1794-118x This is the best score that I've had with this gun. The x count looks promising.

Open

Practical 480-35x

Barricade 480-43x

Mover 480-31x

Plates 480-48x

1920-157x Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first time in three years that I cleaned all four. The x count wouldn't be good enough to win the Cup but it's still a 1920. I wouldn't care if I shot a 1920-48x at the Cup. It would still get me that plaque.

Kevin

Kevin,

Congrats, you have reached the summit. I hope you feel the fulfillment that comes from doing something VERY few people will ever even have within the realm of possibility. Do it again in Winamac, cause I aint ever seen one outside of the Cup.

Steve,

I'm sure you will do fine. I've been at it a little longer and finally made it all come together. Paying attention to what's going on in front of you helps tremendously.

See you and John next week.

Mike,

Shooting a 1920 at Winamac is almost as hard shooting one at the Cup. Something there always seems to bite me in the rear.

Is Rhino going to be there?

Kevin

I got my 3rd practice session in on the Practical and Barricade. We don't have a plate rack, and I don't have access to the mover, so I guess I'll have to work on those Monday and Tuesday. :angry:

Still, I guess any practice is better than none. At least my gun squared away for this year's match. Last year was UGLY.

Hope to see some of you next week.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Guess we proved that "if you build it, they will come"! Our club spent a little over $3,000 to upgrade the Practical/Plate area on our range during the past 6 weeks. Had our monthly AP match on Sat. with 6 Metallic shooters, 8 Open shooters and 12 Rimfires! Everything from Unclassified to High Masters, and we had a ball. Scores ranged from triple digits to a 1916, and we had a full range of experience from 1st timers on up.

Things got a little exciting toward the end when there were 2 HMs duelling it out on the plates. The X-count was tied at 101 when both of them missed, so we had that tie to shoot off! You know you have a great bunch when you have to shootoff that kind of score at a monthly local shoot. Scores ended up for X-counts at 106 & 107. Not too shabby, huh?

We lowered the entry fees to half price for Juniors since we're beginning to get a few, some of whom are travelling 100+ miles to be here. One of our Juniors just got his Master classification from NRA, so there's a bigger interest in AP than most people seem to think.

Action Pistol is alive and well in Bedford, VA!

Alan~^~

Guess we proved that "if you build it, they will come"!  ...  Everything from Unclassified to High Masters, and we had a ball.  Scores ranged from triple digits to a 1916, and we had a full range of experience from 1st timers on up. 

Things got a little exciting toward the end when there were 2 HMs duelling it out on the plates.  The X-count was tied at 101 when both of them missed, so we had that tie to shoot off!  You know you have a great bunch when you have to shootoff that kind of score at a monthly local shoot.  Scores ended up for X-counts at 106 & 107.  Not too shabby, huh?

We lowered the entry fees to half price for Juniors...

Action Pistol is alive and well in Bedford, VA!

Alan~^~

Alan and company have done a stand up job with their operation in only it's second year. CONGRATULATIONS to KEVIN on the 1916 and the 107 plates. :)

I was the loser with "only 106"! :o I had never gone over 70 something and had to borrow ammo....from Kevin and Travis.

To all: If you just like to shoot for fun there is no better place than Bedford. B) The drive to and from Bedford VA is beautiful and the match is run by the book but low key. (FYI The D-DAY Memorial is in Bedford VA, more killed per capita from Bedford during the invasion than any other US City) However, if you like to shoot for the :ph34r: competiton, then Travis, Kevin, Greg, Alan and others will make you work for your victory....... 106 plates at a local match and loose....that's competition, and it was done toe to toe in 90+ heat near the end of the day! :wacko:

Congrats to all shooters and to Alan and his program.

MJ