Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EO Tech Reticles & misc. questions

EricW

Anyone know if the reticles(diffraction grating?) on the new generation EO Techs are user-changeble (I'm sure EO says "no", but humor me anyway.)

Anyone ever tried cooking up their own EO Tech reticle?

Also, anyone have a clue of how to make the sight remember the brightness setting you had when you turned it off?

Thanks!

They are not interchangeable in the 2nd Gen Holosight. To make your own reticle is very expensive, as you need the equipment to make a holographic plate. There was this guy in VA who was making the Bianchi/NRA Action "tombstone" reticle w/ the built in leads for the mover for the 1st Gen Holosight a couple of years ago. I asked him if he could custom make one for me, and he said it would be cost prohibitive to make just one.

I know this company name doesn't have a good reputation amongst some of the forum members but I've used them a couple of times without any problems. I believe that they have some tombstone reticles left @ $ 19.95 (FREE SHIPPING). Rush USA

Martin Johnson made reticles for Action Pistol/Bianchi. The one I used was the Diamond Reticle with dots at 3 and 9 for Mover lead points. If I remember correctly, the top and bottom points of the diamond framed the tombstone target at 50 yds. Shooting plates with this reticle is super easy.

(BTW, I'm looking at an EO for 3 gun, which is why I posted here.)

Just got off the phone with EO, it looks like they will be releasing a reticle this summer with multiple dots calibrated for the drop of M855 (?) out of an M4 carbine, which is close to what I wanted. It would be nice to have some intermediate dots between 200 yd zero and 32.5 MOA of elevation. Tried to talk them into making a reticle with simply evenly spaced dots, but the military market will come first.

You can change the reticles in the new gen EO's, but you destroy the case seal to do it, and will have to deal with internal fogging. I'll just wait, I guess.

(Much thanks to Bill Sahlberg, the patron saint of Spokane USPSA, for letting me borrow his EO so I could check it out.)

==================================================

accucam.jpg

On another note, I found out that GG&G is making a replacement "mounting bolt" for the EO called the Accucam that is substantially stronger than the twinkie EO Tech screw for $90. Not cheap, but for a working gun, I'd probably put one on in a heartbeat. It's pretty obvious that one, hard hit will snap that little screw.

(BTW, I'm looking at an EO for 3 gun, which is why I posted here.)

Just got off the phone with EO, it looks like they will be releasing a reticle this summer with multiple dots calibrated for the drop of M855 (?) out of an M4 carbine, which is close to what I wanted.  It would be nice to have some intermediate dots between 200 yd zero and 32.5 MOA of elevation.  Tried to talk them into making a reticle with simply evenly spaced dots, but the military market will come first. 

Is it really necessary? I mean when it is sighted in for 250 yds zero (just about dead on at the 50 yds cross-over for 55 gr. M193), you can pretty much aim dead on out to 300 yds for 10" plate, flash targets, or La Rue sniper targets.

Thread drift..........I just returned from a quick trip to Iraq. I saw lots of Aimpoints, EOTechs, and ACOGS there. The EOTechs were on M4s carried by Infantry soldiers and they seem to be holding up well to typical soldier abuse. Lets just say that the paint was scraped off everyone!

That said, I thought the 4x ACOG was the hot setup because of the magnification. Real world, it helps to see if the target in the distance is armed.

I carried a M16A2 with the M68 Aimpoint and it worked fine. First time I qualified on the official Army Qual range with a dot - always hot iron sights before.

Thread drift off.

Hmm, I use the bottom dot for 30 yards or less

What bottom dot? I see a center dot. I see a circle. I see crosshairs on the circle. Where's the other "dot"?

Also, I didn't call up demand that EO Tech put extra dots on because I'm hell bent on spending $340. They're doing it for the US Military. So, obviously there is at least one person besides myself that would like the feature.

That said, I thought the 4x ACOG was the hot setup because of the magnification. Real world, it helps to see if the target in the distance is armed.

The EO has had magnification as an option before. If I have my way, it will happen again.

Hmm, I use the bottom dot for 30 yards or less

What bottom dot? I see a center dot. I see a circle. I see crosshairs on the circle. Where's the other "dot"?

Also, I didn't call up demand that EO Tech put extra dots on because I'm hell bent on spending $340. They're doing it for the US Military. So, obviously there is at least one person besides myself that would like the feature.

Ok, the bottom crosshair (I use it as a dot :) ) It really does work pretty dang well. Magnification would be nice though $340 man mine was $385.

The EO has had magnification as an option before. If I have my way, it will happen again.

Then we would be in ACOG TA11 (3.5x) or TA47 (2x) territory ;) Now I know why guys like to hang stuffs off their lightweight carbines, we just couldn't leave good enough alone :D

What about cowitnessing the new Aimpoint 3x magnifier behind the EOTech? Here's the link to the picture. It's a pretty wide picture. http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archiv...h%20EOTech..JPG

One thing about 3 gun matches is that the optic you start with is the optic you must finish with. In other words, once you start shooting you can't remove or add any optics.

And if you plan to shoot Standard, Limited or Tactical you can use only one optic.

So it's a nice plan, but if you have a COF with all 0 to 25 yard targets you still have to shoot through the 3x.

What about cowitnessing the new Aimpoint 3x magnifier behind the EOTech?  Here's the link to the picture.  It's a pretty wide picture.  http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archiv...h%20EOTech..JPG

Yeah, this is a hot set up guys, jump on it, like kellyn said "I still want all my competitors to have a 16 (or better yet a 14.5 or even 10.5), with a scope mounted on the carry handle, with a foregrip, laser, barrel mounted bipod, and a bayonet.":D