Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone ever use this for 9mm minor?

Nimitz

Just picked up 1 lb of Tight Wad from a friend of mine mostly as a hedge since I'm still having difficulty getting powder. He was told that it was similar to Tight Group .... It's also a fairly fast powder according to the burn rate charts.

So, anyone ever use this for pistol loads in 9mm? If so what would be a reasonable starting point for a 147g plated bullet?

Edited by Nimitz

I understand that Donnie at Bayou is a big fan of TW with his 135 grn bullets. I played with it some and treated it like N310 for load data. It works really great in .45 ACP but I never made it to 9mm. You might drop Donnie a note as I know he has some experience with it in 9mm. Who knows might be the best thing since sliced bread.

I would start out with a lighter bullet if I were you. Titewad looks considerably faster than Titegroup when comparing published load data.

Hodgdon doesn't have load data for Titewad in any bullet weight but 124gr, but has data for Titegroup in 124 and 147 so if you hold the bullet weight constant, you can come up with a conversion factor to guess how much powder it should take to make minor although charge vs velocity doesn't always behave in a linear fashion once you get out of it's intended range.

The max load listed for TW with a 124gr bullet only makes 116pf...

ETA: The data actually looks really similar to Clays, but with less pressure, sounds good to me :eatdrink:

Edited by kneelingatlas

hmmm .... the one guy recommended not using it in 9mm to make minor because of "weird pressure" but thought it was due to the tapered case .... since when is 9mm a tapered case?

I'll drop Donnie a note as well, thx.

Anyway, it sounds like this might be a good Steel Challenge load as he claimed it was very accurate with light bullets and ok at around 110 PF. My current SC load is 101 PF with a 115g bullet so I might save it for that and use the 700x I have for SC as a 9mm minor USPSA backup load ....

hmmm .... the one guy recommended not using it in 9mm to make minor because of "weird pressure" but thought it was due to the tapered case .... since when is 9mm a tapered case?

Anyway, it sounds like this might be a good Steel Challenge load as he claimed it was very accurate with light bullets and ok at around 110 PF. My current SC load is 101 PF with a 115g bullet so I might save it for that and use the 700x I have for SC as a 9mm minor USPSA backup load ....

9mm is a taper case, it is slight, but it is tapered.

The slight taper on the 9 mm case has caused some concern with possible extraction issues with the new Smith and Wesson 929. I have not heard of any problems with extraction in the few that have been released so far.

I shot a fair number or moon clipped rounds in a 986 (it won't shoot without moon clips) and had zero problems with extraction. Those little moon clips flew out of the gun. The 9mm does have a slight taper, but it didn't seem to make any difference with cartridges held solidly in moon clips.

• 5 months later...

What did Donnie have to say about this? I am currently using Titewad for my 45 Auto. I also am looking at using it in my 9mm. I found the following info at Hodgdon using Titewad for 9mm

BULLET WEIGHT124 GR. BERB HBRN TP

ManufacturerHodgdon

PowderTitewad

Bullet Diameter.356"

C.O.L.1.150"

Starting Load

Grains2.9

Velocity (ft/s)847

Pressure28,700 PSI

Maximum Load

Grains3.4

Velocity (ft/s)942

Pressure32,200 PSI

Has anyone used Titewad for a 115 gn bullet for 9mm? The reason looking at Titewad is the scarcity of other powder. I would like to get my hands on some Tite Group. Thanks.