Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Delta Point 2

zhunter

Quick question. I'm in the process of ordering two Delta Point 2's. This will be my first Optic, so want to just confirm optimum dot size for USPSA and Steel.

3.0 or 7.5 MOA?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie question

ZH

Question for you Dot Gurus.

I'm going to mount a Delta Point 2 on an M&P 9mm CORE, so the dot to bore should be much less than the typical mounts used in Open. I'm going to be using MG 124 JHP and going for 1050-1100fps.

What is going to be my best zero? Going to shoot Steel Challenges and local USPSA, so seldom over 35 yards but want to be prepared for the occasional 50y shot too

Thanks in advance

ZH

I've been using a 3.5 dot on my Open gun but I'll soon be trying it out on a XDM to get some ideas on Production Optics division that was being discussed here.

I think 7.5 may be too large for the small lens, 3.5 seems like a 6 would be on a C-More.

I run my 40 Pro with a 9mm KKM conversion barrel and use the largest 12.9, I think, on the Trijicon RMR. In some ways the dot is too big but I prefer the larger dot over the 3.5 dot my brother runs on his open rifle. I shoot 125g Blue Bullets in my M&P and zero'd it at 15 yards. We're shooting Outer Limits this coming weekend so I'll have a chance to try it on the 35 yard targets.

I zero everything irons and dots at 20yds. I've never had an issued shooting close with an offset or longer 50 yard stuff in 3-gun. Just put the dot in the middle and squeeze, it's been the same with irons as well.

I have a question for you though, where are you finding the deltapoint 2s at? I have been searching for awhile and haven't seem anyone with them, or did they finally get released?

Edited by Akkid17

I started out using a 4 MOA dot. When the opportunity came along to purchase a slightly used 7.5 MOA Delta Point, at a great price, I jumped on it. I quickly discovered that I had been using the wrong size. I shoot way better with that 7.5 MOA delta!

Your results may vary :excl:

I use a 2 (preferable0 or 4 MOA on all my optics where the intent is for bullseye competition. I use an 8 MOA on all my open guns. I was shooting Bullseye for 4 years before I bought my first limited gun and began competing in USPSA. When I had my first of 4 open guns built I naturally assumed I would use the same 2 MOA. Shay at Akai, who built my first open, insisted I would be making a mistake with a 2 MOA as their purpose was completely different. I was reluctant to accept his advice but did and never looked back. I think anything smaller than a 6 MOA puts you at a disadvantage in USPSA. Your targets are so much larger and closer compared to Bullseye and your primary interest is not .5" groupings but rather Alphas and time.

Same ??? I work down the road from them and stopped by.... No release till mid july is what I get.

I had an email into Leupold middle of June to ask on availability, they said mid-July, same answer you just got.

I've used my current Deltapoint with 7.5 triangle for steel challenge and was nice size, felt similar to 6 MOA C-More. Nice thing about the triangle is you can zero tip of that to what you think your long distance/precision shot will be, so you have that precise point for that, but otherwise a bigger red dot (triangle) for moving quickly between closer targets.

Same ??? I work down the road from them and stopped by.... No release till mid july is what I get.

I had an email into Leupold middle of June to ask on availability, they said mid-July, same answer you just got.

I've used my current Deltapoint with 7.5 triangle for steel challenge and was nice size, felt similar to 6 MOA C-More. Nice thing about the triangle is you can zero tip of that to what you think your long distance/precision shot will be, so you have that precise point for that, but otherwise a bigger red dot (triangle) for moving quickly between closer targets.

That's exactly that I did for my deltapoint on my open rifle. And it turns out that the base of the triangle is now pretty much right on at 300meters with the point zero at approximately 25yds. Kinda fun dinging a 1/3 ipsc steel at 300 using my side dot. And that's what I am planning on doing with the new deltapoint when it finally gets out zero between 20 and 25yds with the top of the triangle and then the body of the triangle will give roughly the appropriate offset for close up stuff. That's the hope anyway now I just have to wait another month to order and then probably another couple months to finally get one.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my August issue of Guns & Ammo a week, maybe 10 days ago. But, did not see the full page ad until today. I have yet to find anyone that has them though.

Oops! Sorry. I screwed the pictures up. They are not legible.

post-23750-0-34378300-1405027345_thumb.j

post-23750-0-31514500-1405027357_thumb.j

Edited by Reshoot