Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing a 40sw to a 10mm

Flyin40

First I want to say Hello to everyone. First post though I have been reading for about a week. I started Ipsc in 1999 using a single stack 45 open gun. I shot for about 6 months and got up to B class. I bought a STI edge and shot limited also. By the end of the yr I knew I wanted a high cap open gun. I didn't want to put out the money for a complete new gun so I got a new top end built in 40sw. Well that next spring before the snow thawed I had to change work schedules which required me to work weekends. I haven't shot since 99 that much. I'm back to weekends off and had my pistol sent out to get some work done on it. It seems I should of had a 38 super top end built but too late for that. I don't want to spend the money for the barrel and comp plus mags.

So heres my question

1.How hard is it to change the 40 top end to a 10mm??

2.Should I do this?? Is is worth the switch. From what I have been reading its hard to get the 40 sw to make the comp really work unless you use light bullets. With the 10mm I think I would have a little more leeway on bullet weight.

It was my first yr shooting and the money investment was huge. Guns, equipment, reloader etc. Made a mistake, should of went with the 38spuper.

I will eventually go with a new gun but thats in a coupole of yrs. I figured I was able to make B class with a single stack 45 in open class after 6 months so this gun should be good enough to get me up to at least A then after a yr or two I'll make the switch to 38super.

Flyin40

I think that the price difference between 40 S&W brass and 10mm brass is something you need to consider. Find a bullet weight and powder combo that works the comp. I'm sure there are several Benoverse people that can put you on to a good load.

Do a search in the reloading section will be a good place to start.

I have aleady search and even went to jmass reloading page, actually I shoot at the same club as him. It seems that 40 bullets in light weight are hard to come by and I have found this to be true after searching the web. When I say hard to come by I mean there is not alot of companies that make them. All kinds of lead/cast bullets. I found Rainers for decent price but several guys say they aren't very accurate. I would have to try them to make sure.

I have no doubt I will eventually find a 40 open load that works but I was thinking the 10mm gives me some more room and options.

The 10mm brass are only about $6 more per thousand. 38 super brass are cheap compared to 40 and 10, wow.

Thks for the help and suggestions

Flyin40

Give Montana Gold Bullet Co. a call. 1-800-755-2717

They list 155 gr bullets. Their prices are pretty good. I am not sure where you can find 135 gr bullets, but they can be had.

IMHO once fired 40 brass is the way to go. I have not had any problems using them.

Raineer and Berry's both make a plated 135's in 40/10mm, both TMJ and JHP. Nosler and Sierra both make jacketed 135 JHP's that are very accurate out of my SV. Push them at about 1000 fps to take advantage of the BC of those bullets.

As for powders, the most reliable i've found has been 4.5 gr of Clays at 1.190". Note, this is for MINOR pf, about 135 actually. This is the load I ran at Bianchi last yeaer. Titegroup gave me absolute fits over the chrono. Brian (Enos) mentioned to me he used to push the Noslers with N320, which is what he shot at the 'Cup also. This also a great ESP load for IDPA in a 1911. I'm sure it would work well for 1911 Society and Steel, too.

I will say right up front, I cannot answer any of your load questions...but I do have one of my own: Where are you finding 10mm brass that cheap? I shoot as much 10mm as I do anything else, and sourcing cheap brass has been impossible. If you care to share your source, man, I am all ears! thanks

He ask the question and his and then answered himself with his name.

Just hit his name on his post. Brassmanbrass

I just talked to a gunsmith and he stated the 10mm will work the comp more but...... you get more recoil regardless. He said with the 165pf stay with the 40.

Flyin

The problem seems to be a lack of lightweight bullets at .400" diameter. If that is the case, then changing your pistol to 10mm isn't going to change that. And running 40 in a 1911 platform, you're probably already loading it almost as long as the 10mm anyway.

If you are in the short-term position of wanting to shoot Open, but only having a .40 with which to proceed, then don't give yourself ulcers worrying about bullet weight or 40 vs. 10mm. Load the lightest bullets you can reliably lay hands on, to a velocity that gives you major, and get out and shoot.

The only "option" 10mm brass gives you is to change your press over to large primers from small.

I don't see that brassmanbrass carries 10mm once fired.

On the 10mm load question, you might also check the 10mm guys over on Glocktalk...in the reloading forum. It seems they have run about every option out there, and list many, many loads. Some hot, some not so.

2.Should I do this?? Is is worth the switch. From what I have been reading its hard to get the 40 sw to make the comp really work unless you use light bullets. With the 10mm I think I would have a little more leeway on bullet weight.

I don't see much of an up-side to switching from 40 Open to 10mm Open.

Working the comp is about producing gas. That is the idea with going to lighter bullets...it takes more gas to get them moving...thus, more gas to work the comp.

40 is exactly the same caliber as 10mm (both use a 0.400 bullet). So, you aren't getting any more "leeway on bullet weight" by going with a 10mm

Stick with what you have now.

And, you mentioned Jeff M. Does that mean you shoot at Circleville?

Flexmoney,

Yes I shoot at circleville. Actually I used to, I started in 1999 but because of my work schedule I couldn't do it any more, I had to work weekends. I shot with Chet Whistle some. He was great with his open gun. Learned alot that first yr only to have to give it up. But......weekends off again so I'll be back at it. Have to get the gun finished first. I just got an email from the gunsmith, seems there might be a problem. I sold all my other pistols to get into ipsc so now I have to wait for my gun back to even get in any practice at all. Can't wait though

Flyin40

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Resurected a 7 yr old thread. Only diff in the actual round is about .2 inches longer case for the 10mm. Bit hotter round though. What early poster was implying was that the two rounds have very similar specs, same bullets, same bore diameter, etc. Please DON'T take a .40 Glock barrel and lengthen the chamber and run 10mm through it.