Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The very first qualifier you shot

rumblestrip

Talk about how well it went, and how many matches had you shot before you did your classifier.

I shot my first one this past weekend after my third ever match. Lets just say we'll chalk that one up to experience. Then again, I had one stage that last weekend in the regular match that Steve Wonder could have shot better than I did. BRUTAL was the word for the weekend!

Edited by rumblestrip

I shot a classifier as my first IDPA match, and maybe my 3rd shooting match. Shot decent for a noob I guess and classified as Marksman in ESP. I was shooting an FNX-9 if I remember right. This was almost 3 years ago. I haven't been shooting much IDPA, maybe a couple a year, as I devote most of my weekends to 3gun. I shot my second classifier ever a couple months ago in ESP with an STI Eagle 5.0 9x19. I shot it like I would a 3gun pistol stage, fast and loose. Racked up a lot of points down and classified with a score towards the top end of Sharpshooter.

First classifier...bad memory! :)

Mine was in December of 2010, and I shot about in the middle of Marksman in SSP. Here's a tip...don't try the classifier (as a noob shooter) with a gun you've only had for a few days AND without ever really practicing at 20 yards.

My current times on stage 3 are about 1/2 of what that one was. LOL

Talk about how well it went, and how many matches had you shot before you did your qualifier.

I shot my first one this past weekend after my third ever match. Lets just say we'll chalk that one up to experience. Then again, I had one stage that last weekend in the regular match that Steve Wonder could have shot better than I did. BRUTAL was the word for the weekend!

There is no such thing as a qualifier in IDPA Or in USPSA. Perhaps you are confused with Formula 1 racing

Talk about how well it went, and how many matches had you shot before you did your qualifier.

There is no such thing as a qualifier in IDPA Or in USPSA. Perhaps you are confused with Formula 1 racing

Classifier, qualifier, it's what I get for posting at 1:30 in the AM after watching the MotoGP race.

I shot my first classifier last month in CDP with my S&W 1911. I did well for me...marksman. I was happy with that since I wasn't expecting it. Before that, I had shot about 8 local matches. I'm looking forward to my first sanctioned match in September and another in October. My goal is to earn expert in CDP by this time next year and be excepted at the S&W Indoor Nationals by spring of 2016. I don't think I'll have any where near enough points to qualify to attend Nationals Feb 2015.

My first Classifier came after a couple of IDPA matches that I shot 'Unclassified'. But I had a lot of handgun experience in this type of shooting. I had been out of competition for a number of years and was shooting the only suitable SSP gun I owned - a CZ 75B, in factory mode. I got excited, shot faster than I really needed to... miked two targets... and missed MA (the then SSP MA score was 98+ seconds )by 1.5 seconds. I was just blasting away and running fast, with a big pile of down points.

In thinking back, that wasn't really a bad strategy... for the Classifier or a match. I later changed guns (CZ 85B and then a tuned S&W M&P) and settled down to shoot more accurately.... but it was several more Classifiers before I made MA/SSP. Now, slower (but always in the top 1-2-3 more Most Accurate) I'm not shooting really fast and getting beat by those who can both move and shoot fast... although they may have 20 or more down points than I do. I think my next match I may just get back to that 'panic shoot fast'

and see what happens.

Being Most Accurate is not much of a consolation if, as a MA, I'm getting beat by EX & an occasional SS. I think my next match I'm just gonna rip! And, see what happens. 5 down points is 2.5 seconds...and if you run a COF clean in 15 seconds and another shooter runs it in 11 seconds with 5 down points, he wins.

This post got me thinking about that. Thanks.

I recently shot my first IDPA match and the next month blasted through the classifier. I shot a 120 (SSP), which makes me a sharpshooter, though I'm close enough to Expert that I now have regret around a couple of errant shots.

If you want to really muck it up, don't ever practice at 20 yards.

I will say this -- the Classifier is interesting from a comparison standpoint, but it's something of a grind to shoot, especially on a hot day.

My first classifier was after I had a one or two matches under my belt. Classified SSP EX. The following year I shoot it as a SS (doh!). Third and last time so far I did it in March of this year under the new book; shot a 99.something in SSP so it got me SSP/ESP EX.

Match bumped to SSP MA, so I'm actively trying to get a MB in ESP to avoid that damn classifier forever.. (or until I do CDP :goof: )

My first IDPA match was a Classifier in 2012 where I finished as a SSP Sharpshooter. My first field match was three weeks later, a major event where I won SSP Sharpshooter and got bumped to SSP Expert. Two years later, I'm running high Expert scores in SSP, and would be a Master if last year's standards were still in place. I practice like crazy, and have finished deep into the Masters locally and at larger events. I've resigned to the idea that I have to travel to more majors to get the bump to Master. I know of several Masters who never classified higher than EX, and at least one MA who never Classified higher than SS.

I shot my first classifier after my 3rd match, just last month. I had been out of the competitive shooting for 18 years. Missed SS by 1.27 seconds. I had one PE for dropping a mag on Stage #3, shot my 6 on one side of the barricade then stood then and realized I had 6 more to shoot from the other side. Dropped the mag, with rounds in it, and shot from the other side of the barricade. A nice 5-6 second mistake. I had just put on some new sights and was shooting considerably low at 20 yards. Pretty much took out the down one below my POA. Oh well, I will try again the 13th of next month. Pretty sure it will put me up one classification. Looking forward to it.

I shot my first classifier after my 2nd local match in May 2013. Was using a beretta 92 in SSP tine was 152.91(Marksman). I was very pissed off during this one because the club made me start with the safety on saying safety features could not be disabled under idpa rules.(old rule book) . 10 days later shot another in SSR with my 686 SSR, time was 161.63(marksman) I haven't shot a classifier since. I did sign up for a classifier last month but ended up not shooting due to having to work late, managed to shoot a 259.71 in absentia LOL.

Edited by Fordfan485

Very first IDPA match (well any match of any sort) was August 25th 2012. I shot 4 matches before I shot the classifier for the first time on October 13, 2012.

I shot a Glock 34, twice, to classify for ESP and SSP. I classified Sharpshooter in both divisions my first time.

• 4 weeks later...

My classifier was my first match and being law enforcement I gues I thought I'd be hot stuff out there. The cover and concealment aspect really hit home. Also really trying to hit the 0 ring was harder for me than I thought. I had a blast and made MM in CDP and was able to see how this "gaming" would have tactical application in the future.

-BTO-