Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 steel grips

jmcqueen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gun will shoot softer because of the added weight. Think of the weight like a pendulum in your hand, it will absorb more recoil because it takes more recoil to move it. Simple physics that works. Well worth the money. PT grips are a drop on for the STI's.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this more durable than the sv? I cracked my sv grip and may want to purchase a spare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I can only speak to the experience of others I know who have the grips (I'm having a gun built now with their SS grips). I know people who have had good luck with thousands (don't know if they've hit 10K yet) of rounds with no problems. Not a life cycle comparison, but a good start.

Has anyone used both the metal grips and plastic grips extensively. If so can you describe the plus and minus of each?

I have used both types extensively, and prefer the steel by a long shot, the gun simply behaves much better, so I would not be without it.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the aggressive stainless. From what PT told me this is by far the most popular regarding textures for the stainless. They said there are a lot of people that get the flat and use grip tape. I think the general consensus is, if you're into the whole grip tape thing get flat, if not, get aggressive.

I wasn't interested in Aluminum and couldn't afford the Titanium so I didn't ask about the best texture on those. My thought though is that if it's a little too aggressive, I can knock it down with some fine paper but I definitely don't have the machining skills to make the normal texture more aggressive.

In preparation, I've been working on my skin toughness by dry firing with a rasp, I'm up to 20 minutes a day without blood! :roflol:

Their new thumb shield safety is also on the way, it's a pretty sweet little piece of machining if your interested in that check it out

Depending on your level of comfort going at your gun and grip with a file, you should also consider the added cost of having the SVI fit by a gunsmith. The SVI is not drop in, whereas the PT is. There still may be minor tolerance fitting issues on the PT but it is designed as a drop in part vs being designed to a different spec. This makes the PT / SVI cost delta even more significant in the end

Depending on your level of comfort going at your gun and grip with a file, you should also consider the added cost of having the SVI fit by a gunsmith. The SVI is not drop in, whereas the PT is. There still may be minor tolerance fitting issues on the PT but it is designed as a drop in part vs being designed to a different spec. This makes the PT / SVI cost delta even more significant in the end

Thanks for your detailed reply. It makes sense to go with stainless with at least some texturing. The goals are to have the added 7 ounces for better recoil management and a better gripping surface. To each is own, but adding grip tape to a smooth grip seems to cheapen a $3,000 race gun. You're correct that an aggressive textured grip can "reduced" whereas it's harder to make a regular texture more "textured." Looks like this is the way to go for me. Thanks again and good shooting.

I don't think the word "aggressive" should scare people away. It only surprises you a bit the first time you grab it, then after a few days with it you don't notice any more, it just feels right. I am not a machinist or a construction worker, so my hands are not rough, and yet I got used to it virtually instaneously. So that is what I recommend.

agreed, I think it's basically like this, if you like the Stock STI Grip as is - get the regular grip. If you prefer a stippled STI grip, get the aggressive PT texture. Of all the reviews I've read, no one said they got the aggressive and wished they hadn't, but a fair number of people got the standard and wish they had gone aggressive.

I have done thousands of grip mods on the plastic grips, but I shoot the stainless grips from PT. Both SVI and PT grips will need to be fitted to STI frames. If you have a PT frame, it may slip on. The plastic grips will crack also.

Tommy Roupe

THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

I thought there was significant difference in price between the SVI grips and PT - turns out, it is very small. A stainless grip is $640 versus $575...

It is even smaller when the SV comes with the mag release and trigger. The PT does not.