Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 6 in ICORE?

I don't know much about ICORE... there's never been any near here until just this Spring. The local club is giving it a go and I'm planning on coming out to shoot. Ive been reading up on the rules, and there's really no division where the 625, 610, 646, or any "clipped" 6-shot gun can be competitive.

Since USPSA Revo has let the 8-shot guns in, will ICORE "return the favor" and create a "Limited 6" division so those of us with 625s and the like can come play?

ICORE is 6 shot neutral.

The 625 provides a faster reload and a larger hole to catch the edge of a scoring ring at the expense of more recoil.

You could always use 45 auto rim and speedloaders. That makes you eligible for classic division.

ICORE is 6 shot neutral.

After shooting the USPSA nats with a bunch of 8-shot and 6-shot shooters, I don't really think that's possible. Even on a <6-shot array, the 8 shot shooter can shoot much faster because of the ability for makeup shots.

It doesn't really matter much to me, as I'm happy ruling the bottom half of C-Class anyway, and will just keep banging away with the 625, or break out the 686 and buy some speedloaders. Adding a division could potentially attract some 625 die-hards and IDPA ESP shooters though.

ICORE has an option that recognizes the top Classic (Speed Loader) and top 6 shooter in larger matches. The courses are set up to be 6 shot neutral and with the scoring system being Accuracy oriented, the 6 shot 45 is very competitive. Unlike USPSA where you PUSH for speed, you don't want to do that in ICORE. It's much better to slow down even a tenth of a second and get an A, because the B will cost you a whole second. The only place a 6 shot will be at a real disadvantage is on steel.

As for loads in a 45, try using GAP brass with a 185 or 200 rn at 700, plenty of extra PF and even at 50 the trajectory isn't bad. My backup is a 45 with gap and the 185 JSWC from Hornady with Clays it gives 730+f/s and is very accurate. Plus it reloads as well as LRN! Go figure?

My main ICORE gun is an 8 shot 627 though, due to a much better Action Job than the 45, but it's not the 6 vs 8 reason.

What is the purpose or advantage of 45 GAP in a 625..?

thanks

It makes for less variation at the bullet when reloading, even though GAP brass fits loosely in standard moon clips, most fit tight enough for me to not have any problems. Seems to help the JSWC bullet I'm using fall in like a LRN. No hang ups on the edges. I took them to a club match and they never hung up, worked as smooth as my 45 acp with 200 raniers. Would work even better with a FMJ RN, but finding any under 200 grains is hard and the only other option is the plated 185 hbrn by Berry. They seemed to never give me any 50 yard accuracy. Plus the pressures are kept up by the short case volume, which makes for more consistent velocities when loading light for Minor PF.

ICORE is 6 shot neutral.

After shooting the USPSA nats with a bunch of 8-shot and 6-shot shooters, I don't really think that's possible. Even on a <6-shot array, the 8 shot shooter can shoot much faster because of the ability for makeup shots.

In your first post above, you admitted that you don't know much about ICORE. This post confirms it.

ICORE is a game that rewards accurate, precise shooting, and if you are counting on making up shots, you are losing. It is quite different from shooting USPSA with a revolver. A 6-shot revolver is perfectly viable and competitive for ICORE shooting. I made a conscious decision to shoot my 625 at the IRC a few years back, and finished pretty high up the list.

I guess I'll just go shoot and see if you're right, Mike.

Although didn't you keep telling us that Major 6 was going to have parity with Minor 8 in USPSA revo as well?

No Dan, that's not what I said. I said that Major 6 is closer to parity with Minor 8 in USPSA than most people realize. Most of the revolver purists who participated in that debate tend to underrate the importance of the minor scoring penalty. For the record, I have consistently said this for years--since long before the rule change thing was ever discussed. The research done out at Rio Salado tends to confirm my point.

By the way, I wasn't trying to be obnoxious in dismissing your statement regarding shooting faster because you have make-up shots. I understand how that might appear to be the case to a newer USPSA revolver shooter. But it really does not apply in ICORE. To be successful in ICORE competition, you have to get mostly A-zone hits. The mentality of shooting faster and making up shots simply does not translate. Sorry if I sounded abrupt.

NO WAY!!! NOW I'M MAD AND I WANT AN INTERNET WAR!!!! :devil:

Okay, no, not really. :goof: I do think that Major 6 is done competitively in USPSA, though.

I'm actually really looking forward to ICORE and seeing how it works.

We could "fix" the 6 major / 8 minor thing and make USPSA better for all the divisions by removing "must not require more than 8 scoring hits from any single location or view" from the rule book everywhere it appears. Seems that phrase creates the 8 rd arrays we see all too frequently.

Edited by Tom E

thanks

It is all small pistol primer. Not a mish mash like 45 ACP has become.

And, once people find out you shoot a GAP, they just give you the brass they have found here and there over the years. I have yet to leave a match with less brass than I showed up with.

thanks

And, once people find out you shoot a GAP, they just give you the brass they have found here and there over the years. I have yet to leave a match with less brass than I showed up with.

All true, and with moon clips you get all of Your Brass back. Just a little perk for the Revo's!

thanks

If I'm going to go to all the trouble of working up a dedicated ICORE load, I'll probably just load .38SPL, buy some more Comp IIIs and break out the 686.

The only time the 8 shot has the advantage is when your stage designer doesn't think through how an 8 shot would shoot a stage. Unfortunately I've shot 1 or 2 Regionals that had at least 1 stage that the 8 shot had a distinct advantage. The definitely had at least 1 less reload.

I know the conventional thinking is that if you are reloading on the move then there is no difference. For some that may be the case, but for the average B and C class shooter, and even some of the A class shooters I would argue that if I have a full gun I can get to the next array faster than reloading on the move. If my gun has rounds left for a target I can sprint to the next target, set and shoot. Reloading on the move I am moving at a fast walk or a jog at best. I can't run nearly as fast while reloading and I can without having to reload.

• 6 months later...

I set our ICORE Stages up. On the D1's the only time a 6 shooter might be at a slight disadvantage is if the shooter got sloppy, and knew he made a bad shot.

On steel an extra round might help out once in a while.

Nothing I worry about however.

At our Club my ICORE Shooters are also my Defensive Pistol, and Reactive Steel Shooters. A shooter at my range may be shooting a 1911 on Saturday in Defensive Pistol, and a GP100 Sunday in the ICORE Match. Most of the time I set the Stages up Practical Tactical, instead of Run & Gun.

I shoot in Classic with a 64 and a 686

I shoot in Classic Rimfire with a 617 Six Shooter using HKS Speed Loaders.

I shoot in Limited with either my 610 or 625.

I shoot in Club BUG with a 2" 64-6 or my SP101, Both using Jet Loaders.

I have no plans for a 627 or 927 any time soon.

Over on Revolver Nation they have a Poll about a Limited 6 Division in ICORE.

Bob R

Edited by VIPERONE