Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme "heavy plate" 124 RN for Open

xdcr

I tried some of these out today and wanted to get others opinions. 38SC, Extreme 124 heavy plate RN. Tried some with 7.5gr Auto Comp and 8.5gr Silhouette. They ran fine, plating stayed on, nothing in the comp, but the accuracy was not good. I switched back and forth between some Montana Gold 124 RN's loaded the same so it wasn't me. Sure would like to make these run because my coated bullet experiment for open wasn't that successful. I read the other thread about this from last year but thought maybe there is more info available now.

When I first attempted to load plated bullets years ago I could not get a group that did not look like a 12 gauge shotgun blast. I measured the bullets and weighed them and they were very good quality but I could not get any accuracy out of them at all. Lots of others experienced the same problem so we all decided they were junk and stuck to our Precision Delta and MG jackets bullets. Even though I said I was through with them it kept bothering me that the quality was there so they should shoot. I found that they are sort of fragile and not nearly as tough as a jacketed round. I was over crimping the hell out of them and this was the problem, not the bullets. Even when I thought I had backed the taper crimp off to a reasonable amount I was still over doing it. Once I figured this out I could get just as good accuracy out of plated as jacketed, I just had to change the way I was doing things. I noticed you said that coated bullets were not working for you either so I would bet you are doing the same thing I was when I couldn't get anywhere. Try not crimping at all and just enough to get them to reliably chamber and see what happens.

Yes, good point about crimp and since I have been using coated bullets for production, limited and single stack since Bayou came out with them I have been sensitive to that. Even with essentially no crimp they smoke bad and leave lead in the comp at open velocity hence the trial with extreme plated. Maybe they are OK at less than open FPS (~1400) but even with a light crimp accuracy suffers at these velocities is what i'm finding.

Although I have yet to test RMR/Extreme bullets in the lighter weights at Open velocities, I did do some testing with 147grn plated round nose from RMR at around 1200fps using a 9X23 which has the same OAL as your 38SC. Though I did not use these with a compensated gun, they ran fine and were accurate enough so I could hit some spent shotgun wads placed on the shoulders of my USPSA silhouette target at 15 yards with boring regularity, so they will shoot. I suspect the lighter ones will too, but like Bowenbuilt says, crimp diameter control is vital using plated or any type of lead bullet, even the coated ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting reading about using a lighter crimp. I was using frontier plated bullets for my CZechmate and I could hold a nice tight group at 30 yards. I would put the exact same bullets out of the same box in an STI and be lucky to have one hole in the paper out of 5 shots.

I no longer have the cz but wanted to try out some extremes because of cost and availability. I loaded up 100 and went to the range with 3 STI open guns. I would have 3 of 5 some where on paper and 2 in never never land. I would pull out my tried and true Montana golds and shoot a nice group of 5 all in the A zone.

All bullets were loaded on the same press using the same load data. I still have some extremes, I may loosen The crimp and try them for accuracy again.

Thing that worries me with a loose crimp though is setback. Any one have any bullets get set back when loading without a crimp?

Thing that worries me with a loose crimp though is setback. Any one have any bullets get set back when loading without a crimp?

Why would this worry you? For 9mm, proper case sizing holds the bullet in and prevents setback, 'crimping' only removes the bell/flare after bullet seating..

Why would this worry you? For 9mm, proper case sizing holds the bullet in and prevents setback, 'crimping' only removes the bell/flare after bullet seating..

and use Lee U die.....no worries on setback.

Edited by lcs

Why would this worry you?

Because I did not realize this:

For 9mm, proper case sizing holds the bullet in and prevents setback, 'crimping' only removes the bell/flare after bullet seating

That being said, I most certainly have to much crimp.

What rub said ... Crimping is a misnomer in a straight walled 9mm case, just pull a few bullets and check. No marks on the bullet and you should be good. You can also check the diameter of the case at the mouth, it shouldn't be more than .001 or .002 off

Why would this worry you?

Because I did not realize this:

For 9mm, proper case sizing holds the bullet in and prevents setback, 'crimping' only removes the bell/flare after bullet seating

That being said, I most certainly have to much crimp.

Realizing and correcting that may well yield some nice accuracy gains, as well.

Measure case wall thickness, double it, then the bullet OD where it will sit against the case mouth. That's the number you should be looking for on completed rounds - some will say to subtract 1-2 thousandths to actually have a minor 'crimp' effect..YMMV, but certainly no more. If ever in doubt, pull a loaded round, and examine the pulled bullet.

Edited by rtp

I've not had success with plated past 25 yds.

I've tried 0 to .004 crimp and so far noting good to report

BUT

Last attempt was about a year ago, guess its time to give them a try again.

All though

I have tried Bayou and SnS Hi-Tek coated bullets out of both my super open guns and they run and shoot out to 50yds (as far as I've shot them) less powder by a couple tenths to get same PF. I'm going to make an order shortly and will include some for the super as a back to MG's and hopefully to practice more.

Good fortune