Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experimenting with different recoil spring for G34

YellowShooter

As some of you guys might know I have recently acquired a new G34 Gen 4. The gun is strictly a range / 3 gun pistol.

Since I have no intention to use this as a self defense weapon I am messing around with all the component I can get my hands on! Just to see what like best :)

Here is the inquiry with recoil springs, the objective is to decrease muzzle flip and have a softer percieved recoil.

I order a Jager captured spring guide rod with a ISMI 13# to start with ( again I have not clue what I am getting my self into ) but from general consensus and previous shooter 13# seams to be the appropriate starting point.

This 13# will be used in conjunction with a Zev reduced striker spring (2# I believe) as well as the Zev V4 connector.

I understand that in order to really tune the gun I will need to start realoading my own 9mm.

However with the current setup will I noticed any improvement using both 115 and 147 gr factory ammo?

Is there any safety/reliability concerns?

Thanks guys!

The connector is fine, the 13lb ISMI recoil is fine, the only thing you have to worry about is the 2# striker spring, sometimes you'll get light primer strikes. I use the 13lb ISMI with the Jager SS recoil rod, 4.5 Wolff Striker spring, Wolff reduced power safety plunger spring. I never ever have problems with my setup and have cumulatively probably 80,000 rounds using it with all my guns.. If I were you the only thing i would change was be to put the Wolff 4.5 Striker spring in instead of the 2# ZEV Spring which is i think equal to a 4 lb wolff..

Edited by bigtimelarry

Also you don't HAVE to reload. You can shoot factory ammo and have the same results.. Just find a factory ammo that works good in your gun.

In Glocks american Eagle 147 Gr (AE9FP) PMC 124 Gr (9G) & Blazer Brass 115 Gr (5200) or 124 Gr (5201) work great in Glocks..

Good info!

I started this thread because while doing my research I came across terms like "firing while out if battery"... Now that's not good lol.

I forgot to mention that I also have the Zev plunger and I believe that it came with a reduced plunger spring.

If I start getting light strikes I will get a new striker spring, reason is the 2# zev helps with the overall trigger pull.

Now with your current setup what improvement or benefits are you getting out of it?

I don't wanna be that guy that "upgrades" his gun just cause he can lol

Thanks

You might get light strikes with the Stock striker with that 2# spring, I'm just saying..

I used to use the 4 lb spring and i would get light strikes and of course it would happen in a F---kin match...

By going to a 4.5 lb Wolff I never had another problem again. The difference in trigger pull is like a few ounces..

That striker spring isn't a 2# spring. It's to give you a 2# trigger pull with the Zev trigger. I have the Zev Ultimate kit and it comes with the lightweight/extended striker and a 3# and 2# trigger weight springs. Like others said though I would watch for light strikes with the factory striker and that spring even though I am not sure it's exact poundage. Before when I used an actual 4.5# spring it would give me light strikes so I had to go to 5#. With the lightweight and extended striker I don't get light strikes anymore even with russian primers and the 2# trigger pull spring.

10023_39859.jpg

Awesome! Cool all I need now is the extended striker!

That's the striker spring I got from Zev

Thanks guys!

Now my remaining concern is safety...

Am I compromising anything with:

- TiN plunger with lighter spring

- 13# ISMI

- Zev lighten striker spring

- Zev Race Connector

- Jager Guide Rod

I'll start using various factory load from 115 gr to 147 gr.

Eventually I'll tune it more with reloads

I am running the Zen extended/lightened striker. So far it has seen about 30k rounds with not a single failure. Regarding the recoil spring and factory ammo, you may find the stock RSA to be the best option. Once I started reloading I still ran the factory RSA. Just this week I started playing with recoil springs. So far I have tried the 13lb spring shooting 147gr 130-ish PF. I like it. Shooting a match this weekend with it then plan to try an 11lb spring. With factory ammo I am not sure how much benefit you will see with a light recoil spring.