Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 for USPSA Open?

Toyotafrank

Why not a 2011 platform? Seems to be the most popular, and I'm sure there is a reason for that.

I've seen open guns on Tanfoglio, CZ, Glock, M&P and Sig platforms. But every level II match I've been to, I'd say 99% of open division shooters were running a 2011 or SVI platform. Asside from the sponsored "commercial" grandmaster shooters and even most of them, EVERY non-famous GM I've seen at a level II match was running some type of 2011 or SVI platform. That has to say something.

If I were shopping for a new open gun, there would only be two questions... Full length or shorty... And 9 Major, or 38 super.... Other than that, its going to be some type of 2011 or SVI platform, from whomever my favorite builder is.

Edited by lee blackman

Well I must chime in here. I shoot a X5 Sig in open, and also in production. I can get 21 rounds 9mm in the gun and its just never been an issue. Personally the 2011 buzz is going to slow down, they just keep getting higher and higher and I feel the quality going down.

Oh, I forgot. I own a 2011 STI Open

If you love Sigs that much go for it. But don't expect the reliability that comes from the experience that thousands of guns in shooter's hands for the past 15-20 years gives. Don't expect to keep up with the S_I guns that hold 28-30 rounds in a big stick. If playing with a Sig is more important than how you place, go for it.

Paul

21 versus 28-30 rounds is a big deal in you are trying to be competitive. It means that on most field courses you would have to perform a reload whereas other open shooters could clear the stage using one big stick. If wouldn't be more than a second or two lost at worst but the open that can be significant. I also think it would be harder to get comps, scope mounts, basepads, and etc.

I have owned all of the above. SVI STI and now a X5. The quality of the X5 is on par with all as far as I am concerned. 25 round mags for 9 mm are available.

Well I must chime in here. I shoot a X5 Sig in open, and also in production. I can get 21 rounds 9mm in the gun and its just never been an issue. Personally the 2011 buzz is going to slow down, they just keep getting higher and higher and I feel the quality going down.

Oh, I forgot. I own a 2011 STI Open

I don't see it. With the Phoenix Trinity and SPS frames hitting the market, STI has competition. I have faith in the free market system. And I'm seeing amazing new builders coming up like Glenn Raush at Lone Star Innovations, along with old one's getting more competitive and creative. Just about every good builder has a 6 to 12 month back log too.

I'm not bashing the X5 platform in any way. I have an X5 Tactical I compete in local IDPA with. One day I'd like to get an X5 All Around to play in USPSA production with. Its a reliable, smooth, and accurate platform. And mine doesn't have the fancy L1 trigger, and its still fast.

I'd actually be more concerned with performance of the factory compensator, and trying to push 9mm Major ammunition thru the X5 Open than anything else. Extraction and ejection can easily be tuned in the 2011 platform, and if modifications are needed or something breaks, its really easy to find a gunsmith to work on it. As far as I know, there MAY be a handful of smiths that are proficient with the X5 platform in the US. Parts would either be modified factory, or have to be hand made as opposed to the vast variety of aftermarket available to the 2011. It could be a more expensive platform to run in the long run, with no significant advantage if not a slight disadvantage in performance over a 2011 or SVI platform.

This an IPSC legal SIG mag that I have run for several years that holds 29rnds.

open_mag.jpg

I have also been working on a better comp for the linkless action. I have been testing it against available Glock comps..

Here is a an overlay of my latest prototype verses a Carver 4 port 9 Major comp.Ammo is Zero 125gr bullet over Autocomp at 1415fps

Edited by staudacher

I can speak from experience as I own and have competed with an X5 Allround in Production, an X5 Competition and an X5 L1 in Limited, and an STI Edge in Limited. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the X5 L1 is the best gun I've ever owned. You won't find a gun that will shoot a tighter grouping.

In terms of reliability, the X5 is good to go for competition right out of the box. They will feed any ammo reliably. I own two STI Edges that have been tuned for competition. And they are finicky depending on the ammo they use. So in this regard the X5 has the advantage.

However, in terms of mag capacity for Limited and Open, the STI Edge definitely has the advantage. I finally threw in the towel on the X5 in Limited in favor of the Edge for that very reason. If the X5 can at some point be designed to hold a 140mm mag that holds 20 rds of .40, I'll switch back to the X5 in a heartbeat.

And by the way, I've been using aftermarket magwells for my X5 Comp and L1 for the last few years made by Staudacher (see post above), and they are definitely better than the stock magwells that come with the X5 and are extremely well made.

Edited by JGus

• 3 months later...