Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Barrel?

Who Knew

I've had an issue with my Mossberg 930 so I was test firing it today after a thorough cleaning. When I came in I noticed oil looked like it was coming through the barrel where it steps down just outside of the receiver. Before cleaning I noticed a white cloudy substance with the consistency of dirty grease in the same spot. While cleaning the original substance off I didn't think much about it because it had been through two matches, one of which was TFD that was a mud-fest. After test firing less than 50 rds I noticed the oil. If there is a crack, I can't see it with my bare eyes and I don't have anything with magnification.

Anyone ever seen this before?

post-32712-0-41374700-1401026980_thumb.jpost-32712-0-24167000-1401027006_thumb.j

Next time you shoot it, wipe off the oil and wrap a sheet of white paper around the forearm and barrel. Fire a few shots and see if the paper is marked or damaged.

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing and the oil came from under the rear sight and dripped down when it heated up during firing.

Bill

What rear sight is that?

Hi Viz set on lowest setting with factory front.

I don't see one running parallel to the bore ???

Correct, no visible lines parallel to barrel. The perpendicular line is actually where the barrell steps down in size and where I'm concerned there could be some sort of crack. I cleaned the oil off last night and plan on shooting a bit this afternoon.

Next time you shoot it, wipe off the oil and wrap a sheet of white paper around the forearm and barrel. Fire a few shots and see if the paper is marked or damaged.

Hopefully it turns out to be nothing and the oil came from under the rear sight and dripped down when it heated up during firing.

Bill

I'll give this a try. I know the oil didn't come from under the sight but could be possible it dripped down off the rib, but doubtful.

Every time I clean and oil the chamber I get a little oil seeping through that joint line. Thought OP was referring to what looks like a line under the big drop of oil.

Every time I clean and oil the chamber I get a little oil seeping through that joint line.

I think that's what may have happened but is that not a concern that oil is coming through the barrel at any point?

I did clean this area of any residual oil and put another 35 rds through it this afternoon with no more signs of oil seepage. I even taped a piece of toilet paper over that area to see if any dirty gas or oil might transfer onto it. So now I'm just thinking this is kinda weird but I'm going to keep an eye on it and if anything changes I will update

This is what that will eventually look like. Mine started out just oozing the white stuff which I think if flux from where the barrel and barrel extension are silver soldered together, eventually it started leaking gas badly. I bought a second barrel since Mossberg wanted 6 to 8 weeks to repair the complete shotgun. Within a couple of weeks the second barrel was oozing flux as well. Mossberg to their credit sent me a third barrel free, but it's oozing crap as well.

Nolan

Mossberg%20930%20001.jpgMossberg%20930%20002.jpgMossberg%20930%20003.jpg