Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My son's first USPSA match

Taking my 13 year old son for his first USPSA match on Sunday at our local Sportsmen's club. It is supposed to be 5 stages with a classifier (Roscoe Rattle) and 100 round count. He'll be shooting his Glock 34. I plan to list him in Limited so he can load his mags all the way up. Eventually he'll shoot in Production but for tomorrow I don't want him worrying about mag changes and we only currently have 4 mags for his gun. We've been practicing with range commands and his holster work. I keep telling him I don't care how fast he is, I just want him to be safe and follow all rules.

On a side note, I'll be meeting a fellow member about buying his IWI Baby Eagle 9mm. It is the all steel version and runs on CZ 75 mags. He's had a trigger job done by a local respected gunsmith and it comes with a Bladetech holster. He wants $400 for the gun.

I wrestled with the Limited minor or Production thing with my son as well. At a normal USPSA match, sure it might mean 2 or 3 reloads instead of 1, but I did not think it was a big deal and neither did my kid. Started him last year (11) with an M&P Pro in Production. He really enjoys it.

Everything went well. Safety was good and all of the other shooters on the squad were very helpful. He had a couple malfunctions with the gun that seems to be partly ammo related and maybe recoil spring related. He was running reloads that I developed for my XDM and it seemed like his slide was running a little sluggish. Consensus seemed to be to drop him down to a 13lb spring.

The match was 4 good stages with a classifier for the 5th stage. A couple of the stages had a couple different ways to run through them.

Started my son at 12. He's 16 now and is IDPA Expert and USPSA B......but only because he has about 5 other hobbies and sports. Such fun watching them grow and improve.

Mine never seems to have time to help reload though, so he is faster and smarter than me.