Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home brew ar build 5 lbs 4 oz

Dustbuster1

I built one as well, I call it my Johnny Cash edition... One piece at a time and it cost me more than a dime! lol made a few changes to save weight or allow more efficiency. Comp is a Miculek comp, ace stock,lancer lower ( heavy ) JP lmos guts, Clark CF hand guard, bte adj gas block, 16" 1/9 barrel hiperfire 24 e trigger. Currently has a vortex on Nikon mounts and hogue handgrip..

I'll post pics,then get my parts list up in a few days..this runs really nice, got it dialed in using 55g Russian circus ammo, ran it through the wringer, I'm happy w it

myqagejy.jpg

uju2yta2.jpg

etezugej.jpg

yqu3edy8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Edited by Dustbuster1

Thanks guys and Yes 5.4 w out optic. I could shave 6 oz off the upper and lower but using a drill was not an intended option. The lancer mag well is heavy as well as the upper w no fa...

Who made the upper? I'm looking at uppers without the extras for a build.

I really it. It's a simple AR15.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That upper looks to be a DPMS Lo-Pro. You can get them from Midway for appx. $70. I'm not sure how much you really gain for weight savings though as they are heavier walled than a standard A3 receiver. I have one on a .22 upper as the FA is totally nonfunctional.

The DPMS Lo-Pro upper actually weighs a bit more than a Mil Spec A3. Walls are near 1/4" in places. I milled mine down and got more than 4 oz off of it. If you don't want a bunch of work it is better to use an A3 and plug the FA. Leave Dust cover off too. Another option is a company called V7 Weapons I think. They have a bunch of really lightweight stuff, I think it is their specialty. Stuff like Aluminum dust cover, Titanium takedown pins, etc. adds up to a bit of weight reduction.

It is a dpms, It may be a tad heavier than a std upper, didn't realize that till it was in hand. No issues w mags as am running gen 2 and lancer mags. The mag well is heavy as hell, and I'm running the tactical, the competition has a larger flare but is a PIG. I could prob save 8 oz by drilling it but I just wanted light without getting anal. If ya got w the lancer avoid the comp mag well unless you just need weight on the bottom. It runs fine on crap and lake city ammo. Tuned the gas to run on 55 grain. Smooth as glass

• 3 weeks later...

My lightweight build is in process also with the DPMS upper, except it's the lefty version. Trying the Voodoo barrel with the boomfab. Is the stock in the last picture the same stock? Is the ACE modular?