Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan Feed problems - help

I love my STI Trojan and shoot it very well, my problem is in matches I have been having many feed failures. Sometimes when just racking it after inserting a mag, but other times an empty casing will eject and the next round just does not feed correctly. I have been using Wilson Combat mags. Is this a magazine issue, a gun issue, or perhaps a problem with who is attached to the gun :) Here are two GoPro videos slowed down to 1/4 speed from a match yesterday of just the feed issues. Hopefully that will help in providing me some diagnostics:

I couldn't tell the caliber from the pictures?

Feed problems on a 1911 can usually be traced to the extractor too tight, feed ramp needs some shaping/smoothing, barrel throat needs smoothing.

That is assuming the magazines aren't causing it which they sometimes do.

Reviewed the video: is it failing too extract the fired brass? If so, that means it's either the extractor problem or the throat is too tight.

The lower video seemed to show it extracted. Is the round loading up hitting the bottom of the feed ramp and jamming?

Edited by bountyhunter

I think what bountyhunter is trying to point out is that extractor issues on the 1911 can and do contribute to feeding problems.

Google the following:

"How can extractor issues contribute to feeding failures in the 1911 pistol?"

Have a 9mm Trojan using Wilson mags for some time now one of my favorite pistols. Had to remove two coils from the bottom of the magazine springs as to much spring pressure was slowing the slide. Tried Metalform magazines also, same a Dawson except for the base pad and went back to the Wilsons.

Also replaced the extractor with an Aftec, Once fitted 0 issues feeding. Running a 15lb main spring and a 10lb recoil spring.

Check the ejector, remove the slide and make sure you have clearance between the ejector and the magazine while pushing up on the magazine. Should see daylight or use a business card to check clearance if it hits and mine did it will break the ejector. STI's fix was a 38/40 ejector and a small amount need to be removed from the bottom of the new ejector.

Little pains with these pistols but once solved they are a blast!

Using factory ammo, so hopefully its not the ammo.

I did have to cut one coil from the mags, as they would not fully insert without doing that. Seem to be ok, but maybe I should investigate cutting one more from what you are saying. The ejector is clear of the mag, checked that already.

It's possible the ammo is short. I'd be curious to see what would happen if you tried someones long reloads. I've seen this happen with .40s with short ammo.

Thanks I'll check it out against some other ammo I have.

• 3 months later...

did you ever resolve your issues?

My bad, yes I did. I sent it to STI and they did some machining on both the frame and feed ramp. Also told me to stick with Metalform, Dawson or Tripp mags and ditch the Wilson Combat. After they worked on it they got it to work perfectly with my Dawson and Tripp, but could not get it to work with the Wilson. I have used it several times since sending it in and have not had a single issue.

• 4 weeks later...