Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nowlin sear spring doesn't work in Para P14

ihocky2

Has anyone else experienced this. I tried installing the Nowlin sear spring in my new P14 and the left leg falls short of the sear, it only wants to sit on the trigger bow. Is this common to the P14 or is it problem with this specific brand of spring or maybe a bad spring from the batch?

The Para slot for the sear spring tab sits a bit lower than standard. Sadly, I forgot the brand of spring I have in mine. I am sure someone will pipe up. (This was true on a P14 and P16 (90's vintage)

Later,

Chuck

My old para p14-45 (1995 vintage) takes a standard colt spring. As correctly stated the new para p14-45 pro custom takes a longer spring only made by para (cannot speak of brownells stuff). My new para had to sent back to factory because the slot was too low even with their spring. They fitted a new frame and still a 'colt' (supposely the standard) mainspring will still not fit, however a Clark split spring did fit barley and is working well after over 1k rounds. I have a para spring as a backup and may try to fit it in the future.

The para sear springs are longer than the typical 1911 sear springs.

I have to use one in my STI to keep the left leg of the spring from falling off of the sear. Gun came with a Colt sear spring but the engagement of the left leg was just catching the corner of the sear.

Thanks for the information. Everything I had read before buying the P14 was that it uses standard 1911 parts except the mag release and trigger. I guess the sear spring should be included in that list.

Thanks for the information. Everything I had read before buying the P14 was that it uses standard 1911 parts except the mag release and trigger. I guess the sear spring should be included in that list.

My Para 1640 uses a non standard guide rod/reverse bushing. Diameter is a bit larger than standard.

what I have seen in the past, some will weld and recut the slot in the frame so that the spring will sit higher. along with that, peen out, the left side of the left leg, so that the sear spring will not move left to right, if there is too much space between the channel or opening in the pistol frame. or place a spot weld on the left side and file it down, so the spring does not move left or right in the channel.

I myself would file the slot higher install the spring and stick a piece of feeler gauge to fill in the bottom. after the mainspring housing is on, the spring should not move, if it is a tight fit.

sometimes, you just have to mickey mouse it. WTF... it works!!