Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunsmith help needed! 930

I've got a 930JM. Bit of a story.

I was at a 3 gun match, and the shell release pin dropped out. The shell release went into the chamber and blew out the end.

Mossberg sent me a new one.

I installed it, and now every time I rack the bolt back it locks (with a round in the chamber or without). Every time I press the bolt/shell release it double feeds.

Followed this guide on brownells, and it still does it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=15831/GunTechdetail/Fixing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem

I am going to try polishing it a little more.. Because I'm guessing this still has to be the issue.

I'd send it back under warranty, but I'm shooting the pikes peak shotgun challenge this weekend. So I have to fix it myself!

I was at a 3 gun match, and the shell release pin dropped out. The shell release went into the chamber and blew out the end.

I installed it, and now every time I rack the bolt back it locks (with a round in the chamber or without). Every time I press the bolt/shell release it double feeds.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=15831/GunTechdetail/Fixing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem

I am going to try polishing it a little more.. Because I'm guessing this still has to be the issue.

I'd send it back under warranty, but I'm shooting the pikes peak shotgun challenge this weekend. So I have to fix it myself!

Sorry you are having problems with your 930. I also had a problem with mine the first 50 rds threw it, The pin that retains the shell stop came out and you know the rest. I ended up sending it back to mossberg because i had no clue and the gun was brand new. I ended up selling it and got a Stoeger M3000 and never looked back.

idont know if this will help but JM just posted this video the other day

Edited by Oskino

Are there shells in the mag tube when the bolt locks open?

Pressing the bolt release on the 930 will let multiple shells out of the tube almost every time. Only use the bolt release to close the bolt or unload the mag tube.

I've seen cases when racking the bolt will NOT let a shell come out of the tube at all (rough tip on the shell latch as addressed in the Brownells video OR a weak shell latch spring) OR When racking the bolt it lets a shell out of the tube but the shell does not move far enough to active the shell release (the bolt may lock open in this instance). A stronger magazine spring generally corrects that.

Most of the troublesome 930 gun I've been into needed some combination of tweaks, new springs, etc to get running. It was rarely a singular issue that caused it all.

Edited by GunCat

I have a ggg follower coming on Tuesday, I polished the shell release, I stretched the shell release spring, and I stretched the mag tube spring.

I'm going to do some more polishing, but I'm at a loss right now.

Fiiixxxeeedddd!!! I'll post a thread tomorrow with some help for those having the same issur

Have had similar issue that I'm trying to figure out. Did you ever post how you fixed it?