Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack in .40

apowers1214

Get the Trojan CRP from Dawson. Magwell, sights, and mag release are included. Wilson 47NX mags with Wilson ETM extended base pads. I picked one up a couple of months ago. I also had them fit an ambi safety. It has ran flawless through a couple thousand rounds already.

Edited by jman93

I just got in the new Sig in .40. Paid just over $900 for it. It shoots very nice and is very accurate. Loaded rounds at 1.220 OAL. Won't fit in the mags that came with it, but they run in my .45acp Wison ETM's just fine. Have left it with a gunsmith to add fiber optic front sight and magwell, plus deactivate the grip safety and adjust the trigger to 3 lbs. Been shooting single stack in .45 and just wanted to try .40 for awhile

Mine runs colt delta elite mags, wilson 40 mags and wilson 47 45 mags.

The 40 is very nice compared to 45.

for reference been shooting 45's for 40 years!! Wow that was tough to write!!!

IT was a hard decision to go 40 but glad I did.

Yes I still shoot the 45's a bunch but the 40 is sweet

I'm also close to buying a .40 1911 and want to use it for SS major. Are the .40 shooters buying the 8rounder mags or is there even any reason to buy the 9s to compete? No need right, except maybe one to have your Barney round.

Oh BTW, someone ask about the new Sig .40 that's out this year. Saw one a few days at the LGS. I love Sigs, but the finish was a little strange looking. Has exterior extractor. the finish reminded me of the finish that's on the CZ 75 TS if you've ever seen one. Almost looks like silver paint...but not. They're priced right though. It will be interesting to see how they perform, being they're just out new this year.

I'm also close to buying a .40 1911 and want to use it for SS major. Are the .40 shooters buying the 8rounder mags or is there even any reason to buy the 9s to compete? No need right, except maybe one to have your Barney round.

Oh BTW, someone ask about the new Sig .40 that's out this year. Saw one a few days at the LGS. I love Sigs, but the finish was a little strange looking. Has exterior extractor. the finish reminded me of the finish that's on the CZ 75 TS if you've ever seen one. Almost looks like silver paint...but not. They're priced right though. It will be interesting to see how they perform, being they're just out new this year.

The 9 (or 10 round) Tripp System mags are easier to seat during a reload with 8 rounds in them that an 8 round mag.

With 9rnd Mags I don't need to Barney (Wilson 47NX) and when I shoot ESP in IDPA I can get atleast 9+1.

And what the guy ^^^^ me said about seating the mags

Edited by deerassassin22

Thanks to your guys advise, I've been researching the 10 Round Tripp System .40s at Dawson and Shooters connection and I think you're right on. Seems to be the best route to go. I'm really hoping the 10 rounder will work because I'd like to also have the option to shoot Limited 10 Major, BUT still use these for SS Major. Does anyone have a picture of what the 10Rnd Tripp System mag looks like in the 1911. If it's too "goofy long" I'm worried that maybe it might be too much (length wise) to make efficient mag changes especially if SS Major is mostly what they'll be used for.

So my point being...my investment for 5 new mags ($200 plus), I'd like them to be practical for not only SS major but also Limited 10 Major. Don't want to have to make a second $$$ investment for an additional second set of 5 mags for the other division. Anyway, so again, a picture would really be cool if anyone has one. Thanks guys.Scott

Ohh forgot... regarding the "length/look/function" of the Tripp System 10 rnd mag, I forgot to mention (see above comments)-there will be a Dawson ICEWELL on the new .40 1911. I presently have that Magwell on my 9mm DW Pointman PM9 1911.

Don't have photos handy, but the system mags barely stick out the bottom of the ice magwell.

My only concern would be with functionality with 10 rounds in the mag. I got a set of these system mags recently and they worked great with my Trojan, with one exception. Whenever I loaded the mag to max capacity, there were some feeding issues with the mag. The first round wouldn't always feed.

I'm curious if others are able to make them work reliably when loaded to 10.

Interested as well in any pics of mags in ICE magwells or details on mags for a .40 SS. Just ordered a CRP Trojan from Dawson and need to get 7 mags. Was thinking 10s but want to make sure they will fit the SS box requirement for USPSA. They would only be loaded with 8 anyways but figure with the Dawson ICE magwell it would be good to have a little sticking out to get them seated well.

...ditto that Rob01. That's the exact mag I'm looking at, and yes Dawson Website says that "particular Tripp 10 round Mag model" will fit the box. Shooters Connection also carries that mag and has a little write-up about it fitting the box.

Just ordered my Dan Wesson .40 SSC (man they were hard to find!) Should get here by this Friday. I'm pumped!

Good to know regard the fit. Thanks.

So tbarker13...is there anything else to be known about the "1st round hangup" when loading 10rounds you were telling us about. Did you resolve that yet?

I'm wondering if a call to Dawson might be a good idea to address that problem. Dawson is great about tuning their mags. Maybe you could send them back and have them tweaked?

I ended up just going with the 9rnd "Corey" mags from Dawson. I guess they use the 10 round body and hybrid followers, which are supposed to be very reliable. They should work well and if I find myself using it more in IDPA I will pick up 3 of the 10 rounders. Main reason for the Trojan is SS in USPSA and can't load more than 8 for major anyways so the 9 round mags will work fine.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000112F-1388518298

I ended up just going with the 9rnd "Corey" mags from Dawson. I guess they use the 10 round body and hybrid followers, which are supposed to be very reliable. They should work well and if I find myself using it more in IDPA I will pick up 3 of the 10 rounders. Main reason for the Trojan is SS in USPSA and can't load more than 8 for major anyways so the 9 round mags will work fine.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000112F-1388518298

The 9 round Corey mags are the same as the 10 round System mags, just with the hybrid follower. If you want to switch them to hold 10 all you need is the metal follower.

Will the Corey mags work with a Dawson no gap magwell?

Mine do.

When I ordered them from Tripp, I told them I was going to use them with a no-gap magwell. They modified them so they would work.

Good to know regard the fit. Thanks.

So tbarker13...is there anything else to be known about the "1st round hangup" when loading 10rounds you were telling us about. Did you resolve that yet?

I'm wondering if a call to Dawson might be a good idea to address that problem. Dawson is great about tuning their mags. Maybe you could send them back and have them tweaked?

Not yet. I'm actually in the process of changing guns. I'll do a little more work with it at that time.