Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recreating a .223 load

IceCold4x4

Ok so I've found a 77gr .223 load that i Like pulled a bullet to weigh out powder and what not.

.224 Sierra Match BTHP bullet 77gr
2.240 OAL
24.3 Gr of powder that looks like the following
They Spec the round at 2800 FPS, i'm not sure what barrel length though but I'll have some numbers saturday out of my rifle saturday.
IMG_20140424_193455.jpg
IMG_20140424_193449.jpg
IMG_20140424_193445.jpg
Any Ideas on powder? or am I chasing a fools errand to try and duplicate a round this way? I figured most y'all have seen way more powders than I.

I would use the other particulars and try a few powders of known ability to work up something,

we know bullet weight and approx charge weight so go to your books and grab a chrono and load up any powders that come close to that velocity around that weight and see what the rifle likes.

it might be an available powder it might not so look to the spherical powders that push a 77 at around 2800 without maxing out pressure

I make it a general practice to never guess when dealing with things over about 4,000 PSI :mellow: saves ER bills and explinations to gunsmiths

as far as a fools mission the only thing foolish would be guessing powders without verifying said powder is close to the result you are looking for and loading a few up "just to try out"

It should be a commercially available powder as the round comes from Georgia Arms. I can't really imagine them ha ing a special powder like Hornady or other big names might. Thanks for confirming that I might actually be able to do this the way my head says was possible.

You might be able to determine the powder. Either way, you still work up the potential load to avoid issues (and the potential you are wrong about which powder it might be).

That looks similar to Ramshot Tac

gunpowderTAC.jpg

Here is the load data from the Western Powders Reloading and Load Data Guide 5.0

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_1-23-14.pdf

Ramshot%20Load%20Data.JPG

24.3 would be in the range of 22.3 to 24.8 that they dictate in the manual. Max velocity specified with 24.8 gr of Ramshot Tac is 2,902 fps

There are at least a dozen ball rifle powders that have a similar appearance, and several that would have a charge weight in that area. Unless you do extensive testing on the actual powder you will only be guessing.

At the rate AA produces ammo, they could certainly be buying powder in kegs that are not generally available. Alliant and Accurate produce powders that are ball powders that could be in the same general area as well. I'd be surprised if they are using a more expensive power like CFE when they can get Western powders in bulk.

TAC is a decent powder, and I use it with good results, so nothing wrong with trying that, but don't shortcut normal load development practices...that is the fools errand.

• 2 months later...

When available I shoot hornady steel match 75gr in 3 gun since they are relatively cheaper and accurate in my 1/7 twist barrel AR. I recreated it by buying same bullet Hornady 75gr JHPBT, use LC brass and size them similar to steel match, use varget powder and use same coal and crimp light almost no crimp. I chrono'ed the steel match, then I loaded varget until I could match the hornady steel match ammo muzzle velocity. If the same bullet is flying at same speed/velocity in same gun, should be same or close right? even recoil feels the same. I shoot them in different distance and they hit on same place. I think I end up just needing 23.5gr of VARGET.

Edited by smoothdraw

Either call and ask or do this. Known bullet, velocity and length. Work up your own load using a ball powder. Maybe it is H-335 or H-322. Guessing powder by a photograph could be dangerous.

I would use the other particulars and try a few powders of known ability to work up something,

we know bullet weight and approx charge weight so go to your books and grab a chrono and load up any powders that come close to that velocity around that weight and see what the rifle likes.

it might be an available powder it might not so look to the spherical powders that push a 77 at around 2800 without maxing out pressure

I make it a general practice to never guess when dealing with things over about 4,000 PSI :mellow: saves ER bills and explinations to gunsmiths

as far as a fools mission the only thing foolish would be guessing powders without verifying said powder is close to the result you are looking for and loading a few up "just to try out"