Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Trigger: Flat or Curved?

idHawk

I did a quick search for "flat trigger" to see if much has been said about this topic, but couldn't find anything that had a title specifically related to this topic. So... I ask this simple question...

Do you prefer a Flat Trigger or a traditional Curved Trigger?

Hello: Yes. I use both. Thanks, Eric

Can you elaborate? Do you have a preference, and if so, is it based on the platform? The reason I ask is because I myself have used both. I have found that I think I prefer a flat trigger on my open gun, while I prefer a curved trigger on my limited gun. I was wondering if others had a similar preference.

In theory, the flat trigger is better, since no matter where your finger touches the trigger, it's the same. It's personal preference though.

My open gun has a medium flat insert, (was like that when I bought it used), but my carry 1911s have curved. Personally, I don't really feel a difference.

Edited by Parallax3D

Open STI. I had curved for a few years and wanted to get a flat SV dropped in. People told me to stay with curved because the finger us round...

Went with flat and I can't tell a lick of difference between the two

Hello: I like a curved trigger on my 1911's and the flat on the 2011's. The larger grip is better for me using a flat trigger. I based it on using a timer. I can get faster splits with the flat trigger. I also played around with different trigger lengths. I cut the back of my trigger finger down to the tendon when I was 16 and it does not always work as well as it should. So that is why a flat trigger works better for me. Thanks, Eric

YMMV, but for me, the decision depends on your grip. I grip mine very high, so the trigger finger actually bends downward and touches the trigger at the top 1/3. With a curved trigger, it feels crappy. With a flat, it feels natural.

I like curved since it keeps my finger centered ,and doesn't let me have my finger just any place on the trigger. I like knowing that I'm pulling straight back from almost the same spot each time. If my grip is off I want to know it. I don't want to be contacting the frame with my trigger finger which I tend to do if my finger is to high on the trigger. So for me the top half is off limits ,and if I get to close to the bottom I rub my finger tip on the trigger guard.

I would look at your own grip and see how high or low you can move your finger without making contact with the frame /trigger guard. It's not much I'm guessing.

For me round or curved is all about looks ( I actuall think flat looks cooler). I personaly don't feel a lot of diffrence when I'm focusing on it, and absolutely none when I am shooting.

How you pull the trigger might make one better than the other ...if I liked to slap the trigger I might look at flat. Or if you use a part other than the pad of your finger.

Finger length might come into play also. Flat triggers are usually a bit longer. Getting the right angle for your finger is important, you don't want to be pushing your trigger as you pull it.

I would try both in the frame and see which trigger fit best with my grip and hand size. Or at least be ready to send it back if doesn't fit perfectly.

Edited by caspian38