Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm loads using Ramshot Competition

danman00

I just purchased some Ramshot Competition this past weekend at a local gunshow here in southwest FL The price was right ($19.00 per 14oz. Keg which was $10/keg cheaper than a guy two rows down from him). I do see some published data for 9mm and 40 on Ramshot's website but it's very rarely mentioned here on BE's forums as anyone's favorite, or at least not that I've seen. I'm going to load some up with 147gr Blue Bullets and try it out later this week. Anyone have any experience with Ramshot Competition that wants to share?

Ramshot's book says for plated 147gr PLATED bullet is 2.6gr starting and 3.0gr max.

I started doing 2.6, 2.8 and 3.0 none could cycle my stock glock 34. i looked at the primers and there was no sign of overpressure at 3.0gr grains.

So then i went to 3.2 and 3.4 and still could not cycle and no signs of overpressure. At this point accuracy was starting to get better as well.

I stopped at 3.6gr at 1.135 OAL when the gun cycled 100% with no signs of overpressure on the primer.

I've loaded over 10,000 loads with this data.

147gr Xtreme plated round nose

3.6gr Ramshot comp

1.135 OAL

mixed brass

tula, win, fed, and cci primers used.

It is quite fast powder and meters above average. Proceed with caution with heavier bullets because of the very small charge weights needed.

Ramshot's book says for plated 147gr PLATED bullet is 2.6gr starting and 3.0gr max.

I started doing 2.6, 2.8 and 3.0 none could cycle my stock glock 34. i looked at the primers and there was no sign of overpressure at 3.0gr grains.

So then i went to 3.2 and 3.4 and still could not cycle and no signs of overpressure. At this point accuracy was starting to get better as well.

I stopped at 3.6gr at 1.135 OAL when the gun cycled 100% with no signs of overpressure on the primer.

3.6gr Ramshot comp

1.135 OAL

mixed brass

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Here is a little data that I collected recently... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=192226&hl=

I don't think I'm going to bother with it. I didn't really see any pressure signs from the primer at 4.0gr/124 plated, but it is .5gr over book max. I like running 147s, but I'm not even going to attempt it with Comp, but I admit that I'm not terribly experienced in reloading yet.

Gun: Gans Guns 2011

Bullet: 147gr Bayou Bullet

Brass: Mixed

Primer: Tula SPP

Powder: 3.2gr

OAL: 1.145

Ave FPS: 927

PF: 136

Powder: 3.0gr

Ave FPS: 879

PF: 129

I also ran 1.115 OAL and saw no difference in results.

I experimented with RS Competition for 3 months. Their printed data is a joke. I found it to be an exact replacement for N320 grain for grain. I use N320 data when I load it and in side by side comparisons it's a twin. It is a great powder for what we are doing, you would be hard pressed to find a better one. The 3.6 grn load with the X-Treme 147 round nose equals the same load I was using when I could get N320. I also use the 3.3 load with the Blue Bullets and it works great also.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Dan and Greg,

I see no reference to crono data where you are right now in your load developing. If you are not using one and just relying on loads you gleen from this forum, Stop all "testing" and buy or borrow a crono. It is just as important in reloading as having dies, and they cost only a about $100. Cheap "insurance"...

jmho

jj

3.6gr Ramshot comp

1.135 OAL

mixed brass

Change your springs, change your load.....probably for the better too. Stock G34 weight is 17#, and I'd be willing to bet that you could lower your charge, reduce your recoil, and still maintain PF with a lighter spring.

Edited by Noximus03

Their top load of 3 grains with a 147 grain bullet would not function my gun with a 13 lb spring either and was no where close to 130 PF. 3.6 just barely makes PF out of my 34. They must have 2 Lawyers writing the loading manual at Ram Shot.

According to my data I was able to safely make minor PF with just 3.0gr. 3.2gr got me 136pf.

I suppose it varies gun to gun. Even more evidence to support the importance of using a chrony when developing loads towards the top end of the spectrum.

I was using plated bullets trying 3 grains. With coated bullets in my gun 3 grains comes in just under 130 PF but with plated or jacketed bullets it would not function my gun. Coated bullets worked fine with the 3 grain load. I was not specific about this in my post above. I will also add the 3.3 grains using coated 147 grain bullets were more accurate and much cleaner shooting. 3.6 with a plated or jacket bullet functioned my gun and matched my old favorite N320 load. You are correct in that every gun is different and a chrono is a must when trying to develop good safe loads especially with these fast burning powders and heavy bullets.