Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder River "Ultimate" Trigger kit a dud?

jsneff

So I finally spent several hours installing my Powder River Ultimate Drop-In Kit in my XDm 5.25. Time we'll spent(and their videos are very helpful, if a bit fast on the fitting dis/reassembling) as I got really good at taking the pistol apart and putting it back together. Had to reduce grip safety edge on the sear and the over travel bump on the trigger. The sear side and safety functioned perfectly and I shot 200+ trouble free rounds at the range immediately after the successful install.

Now the bad part, I am getting a trigger pull in the mid 5's on my RCBS spring powered trigger gauge. I didn't check the factory trigger as I was committed to this trigger install any way, but think I will because I don't think it is any heavier than this PRP "Ultimate" trigger. Their video shows a 4Lb pull. I would like some input from those out there with PRP triggers, because I think I got a dud.

I installed the same trigger in a xdm 5.25 9mm. I checked my stock trigger at just over 6# after install of the same kit it Brock at first around 4.5# I did a little more work on the sear and a little polishing. After a few hundred rounds in practice it breaks very clean at 3#

I installed a regular PRP drop in kit and used the blue competition springs that came with it and my trigger breaks just over 3 lbs. I didn't polish or do anything besides just dropping in the new parts. Im totally pleased after countless thousands of rounds.

Have installed two now and have suspicions that they might be a bit heavier than I expected originally. I don't have a gauge, though. Good to hear that it mellows with age, like the rest of us. :-)

So @aandabooks: Please say more about some of the other points that you've worked on. I pretty much stuck to the video directions, but would like to know more.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though it doesn't show to do the sides of the piece that activates the grip safety, I lightly stoned the sides to insure the least friction between it and the part next to it. I switched to the stainless pins and spun them on a lathe with emory cloth to insure they were burr free and as polished as I could get them. Just a little extra time but trying to make everything as interference free as possible.

• 2 months later...

Here's some pics of what I did while installing.

CIMG6363.jpg

Light smoothing of machining marks in the striker channel.

CIMG6367.jpg

Higher shine on the striker at the edge grabbed by the sear.

strikersafetytab.jpg

Same shine on the sear where it grabbs the striker

sear.jpg

Also polished the striker body to a high shine, but didn't photo that.

The improvement in feel smoothness was great and it seemed to lighten the pull too, but I don't have a guage.

Did your kit come with 2 trigger springs? They make a competition trigger spring and a heavy one. My kit came with the heavy one. I had to call them to get the lighter competition spring. I also polished every contact spot in the entire fire control assembly as well as the striker. Replaced the striker safety with a titanium part and ended up with about 2.75 lbs on my trigger scale.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the Ultimate as well and have a very smooth 3.3# pull. I was even more impressed with the incredibly improved trigger reset. Don't forget that huge improvement with the installation.

I installed the PRP drop-in kit in my xdm. Measuring the trigger pull with a rcbs spring gauge it was six pounds with a long trigger pull and reset. After the install it is three to three and one-quarter lbs. I used the blue springs not the combat springs. It is by far the best trigger on a semi-auto that I have ever had or shot. It took some time to get used to it after the install. You had better be ready to shoot when you touch the dingus on the trigger because its going to fire. No light strikes or anything it just shoots.