Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to scrap brass?

JJP161

I have a lot of range pickup brass from our PD range. Mostly .40 S&W, .223 and some 9mm and .45 ACP. With that said a lot of the brass had a fair amount of corrosion and after ultrasonic cleaning and tumbling it most of the corrosion has been removed but the brass is obviously discolored. My question is when do you scrap the brass. I mean the corrosion obviously damaged and weakened the brass, is it worth trying to use or am I better off scrapping it. Thank you,

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do like everybody else and sell it as " like new - once fired "

In you're case, if it's obviously worse for wear i toss it in my scrap bucket, not worth having a split case, or bottom of the case blow out during the match.

That's an excellent point and that's what I was thinking. This is a fun, relaxing hobby and allows me to me shoot a lot more. The minute I damage a weapon or hurt someone I negate all of that.

shoot a lot more,

Re-load the corroded ones, shoot em and then leave them where they lay,,, Then let the brass rats fight over the spoils.

I load corroded brass over and over with the shiny ones and like others have said, until they split or the primer pockets become too loose. But if I see copper leaching out on the corroded areas, I chuck those in the recycle can.

Do like everybody else and sell it as " like new - once fired "

In you're case, if it's obviously worse for wear i toss it in my scrap bucket, not worth having a split case, or bottom of the case blow out during the match.

"like new - once fired" :roflol:

I am finicky about my brass. I don't even bother trying to clean up tarnished brass. Well, unless it is expensive rifle brass. Then I use a 1 part vinegar / 2 part water bath, for 3 hours.

Does "discolored" always mean weakened or damaged? I've wet tumbled some crappy looking brass and it often looks brand new afterwards.

No a lot of the discolored brass looks like new after the ultrasonic and tumbler. I just mean the brass where there is obvious damage to the brass from where the corrosion was.

Reload it until it splits.

This.

I've loaded some pretty crappy looking brass and nothing has been a problem yet..

Same here, I primarily use the ugly ducklings when working up loads. I'll load the mags in private so nobody sees em'. They perform fine, just tough to look at... Kinda like me.

• 2 weeks later...