Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.12.13 Released

ZackJones

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why was "Get posted match" removed from the Android version? Is there a different way to do it?

Thanks

+1?

Sorry for slow response. Traveling for 3GN Pro match with my son.

We took that out cause it could be a security / privacy risk, and because we are adding an competitor oriented app dedicated to doing that (with more security/privacy controls and improved viewing/auto updating options). Also, we needed to tie it to the new results system (coming SOON - i hope...) with better searching/filtering and didn't want it to break.

I would have preferred to release the new app and new results viewing concurrent to removing the feature but decided to take it out a bit earlier.

Ken N.

Thanks, I look forward to the update. I was a big proponent of Practiscore at our club and it has changed the way we do business. Please keep making improvements.

We just ran area 6 with 1.2.12

That's what I used last month. What I'm wondering is if any of the new versions (which is what this thread is all about) are worth getting and installing. All I have seen is a series of posts saying there are problems with .13 .14 and .15

And, by the way, the title of the post refers to 1.12.13 - I assume that's a typo.

Ken N., on 14 Apr 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Racer377, on 13 Apr 2014 - 1:13 PM, said:

wchangose, on 12 Apr 2014 - 7:16 PM, said:

why was "Get posted match" removed from the Android version? Is there a different way to do it?

Thanks

+1?

Sorry for slow response. Traveling for 3GN Pro match with my son.

We took that out cause it could be a security / privacy risk, and because we are adding an competitor oriented app dedicated to doing that (with more security/privacy controls and improved viewing/auto updating options). Also, we needed to tie it to the new results system (coming SOON - i hope...) with better searching/filtering and didn't want it to break.

I would have preferred to release the new app and new results viewing concurrent to removing the feature but decided to take it out a bit earlier.

Ken N.

Imho that is a deal breaker for me. That was one of the primary ways I used it. Having to swap apps is going to be a pain.

...still let's you download matches.

which you don't really need in a scoring app.

Unless you want to add to the overall customer experience and allow folks to download the match to their own devices after the fact to play "what-if" with the scores.

Unless you want to add to the overall customer experience and allow folks to download the match to their own devices after the fact to play "what-if" with the scores.

Bill, there are no "what-if" experience in the match scoring.

As for the shooter's experience, see Ken's post above.

Of course there's a "what if" experience. People want to see what would happen if they hadn't shot that no-shoot or had that mike. It's very simple to understand and I see it all the time.

As to security & privacy concerns, you could have done what USPSA does on their website for non-members and send only the First Name and Last Initial for the competitor name, no USPSA#, and no address/ phone/ email/ etc. You could have done that if you had thought of it. A better knowledge of USPSA might have helped you there. You could still do it now if you wanted to.

Thanks! I did not have the .12 apk, so this helps a lot.

Actually, can you reupload it please. That file is 25kb and won't open. Thanks!

Try this one. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3530073/practiscore-v1.2.12.apk

Thank you for posting this.

Yeah, removing the ability to get posted match does blow big time.

Does anyone think removing “get posted match" is a good idea, besides the dev? Especially if you are already planning an app to restore that function?

Nope I thought the idea sucked and expressed my opinion about it being removed during beta testing. What I'm doing as a work around is downloading the match to an iOS device because they haven't removed that capability yet from iOS and then sync from iOS to NST/Kindle, etc. I get it that a new app is coming and all that but removing capability before it's released in the new app was a dumb move, IMO.

I also agree with Bill regarding what if scenarios. I used it for the Area 6 match. My shooting buddy had Limited 10 division won until stage 4 was thrown out and then he moved from first to second.

Edited by ZackJones

I personally can't see ANY justification in removing the ability to download a match. In this day and age, I think the security around last names on USPSA is a joke.

For PractiScore, the match is available so many other ways that by making it not possible to download from the website, all you've succeeded in doing is pissing people off, and degrading the customer experience.

There is absolutely no valid argument that can be presented as to why competitors shouldn't be able to download any existing match and play "what-if" or whatever else they choose to do.

If I'm not mistaken, the main security issue was that a competitor could download the match, change results, and then dishonestly upload the changed match back to the website. That was a major flaw that needed to be addressed ASAP.

If I'm not mistaken, the main security issue was that a competitor could download the match, change results, and then dishonestly upload the changed match back to the website. That was a major flaw that needed to be addressed ASAP.

You can put a PIN on a match the first time it's uploaded. Subsequent uploads require the same PIN be used. At least, that's the theory. I've never actually tried it.

Also, while possible, there's little value in doing that. The *real* results are the one in the original device, and the results that are uploaded to USPSA. Results on PractiScore.com are for entertainment purposes only.

If I recall, when you download a match, the match is read only, so you can't make changes and post them back.

Yeah but to play what if, you can port it over to ezws and speculate over there or port it back into ps and it's no longer read only

And how many folks will know how to do that, very few is my guess and most of them will be Match Directors or Match Staff.