Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 gr SWC

buckaroo45

My hands are forcing me to shoot minor PF thru my 45 ACP Taurus PT1911. I'm having difficulty getting 200 gr SWC's to feed from my 10 round mags (Colt branded but prolly knock off). Feed lips on mags compare well to my Wilson 47D's. First round nosedives into ramp. I betcha one of you has a magic OAL. PLS share.

Thx

First let me say that not all 200 gr. SWC's are created equal. You can have bullets from several manufacturers side by side, and all might be slightly different dimensions. Even a couple of thousandths of an inch can make a difference in some guns.

That said, I'm shooting Penn Bullet's 200 gr. LSWC in my Para P14-45. It seems to like 1.240". These bullets are the same pattern as the old standard H&G #68 profile. That length leaves just a hair of the bullet's bearing surface showing above the case mouth (and no, I don't have an exact measurement for "a hair". ). This length also works well in my Springfield Armory Loaded Full-size 1911, using SA factory mags as well as Wilson Combat 8-rounders, and Chip McCormick 8 and 10 round Power Mags.

Your gun may like that length as well, or may not like it at all. You may have a problem with the magazines, such as weak or short springs. I'd make sure your mags are functioning properly first before experimenting with cartridge length. Do other bullet profiles (round-nose, cone, etc.) feed okay from these mags? Or do all bullet types nosedive?

Once you're sure the mags aren't the problem, you can start experimenting to see what length works in your gun with your bullets.

Good luck.

First, did these bullets work when shooting at major pf? If so, then it's because of the lower velocity moving the slide back more slowly, and maybe not fully cycling back. If so, go to a lower weight recoil spring for the much lighter loads. Your slide will cycle faster with the decreased velocity loads.

FWIW my oal with 200gr lswc is 1.25"

i had a lot of problem with feeding issues and finally settled on 1.240 for the 200 lswc ( i use missouri bullet company and falcon bullet company lead projectiles ) . i do not think i have had a ftf since i settled on this oal .

you didnt give your load data? what brand bullet lead or plataed and what is your oal?

you say you compared you magazine to your Wilson. do you have the same issue with the Wilson or just the 10rd magazine?

I had feed problems with Xtreme plated 200gr SWC. The other bullet I tried was Missouri cast 200gr SWC with a H&G #68 profile. They feed ok, but the OD was too much and caused case bulge and chamber jams. They may offer two OD's of which the smaller would work.

First let me say that not all 200 gr. SWC's are created equal. You can have bullets from several manufacturers side by side, and all might be slightly different dimensions. Even a couple of thousandths of an inch can make a difference in some guns.

That said, I'm shooting Penn Bullet's 200 gr. LSWC in my Para P14-45. It seems to like 1.240". These bullets are the same pattern as the old standard H&G #68 profile. That length leaves just a hair of the bullet's bearing surface showing above the case mouth (and no, I don't have an exact measurement for "a hair". ). This length also works well in my Springfield Armory Loaded Full-size 1911, using SA factory mags as well as Wilson Combat 8-rounders, and Chip McCormick 8 and 10 round Power Mags.

Your gun may like that length as well, or may not like it at all. You may have a problem with the magazines, such as weak or short springs. I'd make sure your mags are functioning properly first before experimenting with cartridge length. Do other bullet profiles (round-nose, cone, etc.) feed okay from these mags? Or do all bullet types nosedive?

Once you're sure the mags aren't the problem, you can start experimenting to see what length works in your gun with your bullets.

Good luck.

The measurement for a "hair" that was given to me eons ago was to approximate the thickness of your thumbnail from the shoulder of the bullet to the crimped case mouth. It's always worked for me, although I cast my own bullets, and have only used two different 200 gr SWC designs.

COL: Long enough that the shoulder just touches the lede/rifling.

Magazine: Lips should release the round about ½ along width/length of magazine

Best SWCs are H&G #68 or RCBS 452-201-SWC with the long nose. mastercastbullets.com and Penn Bullets make great bullets.

The measurement for a "hair" that was given to me eons ago was to approximate the thickness of your thumbnail from the shoulder of the bullet to the crimped case mouth. It's always worked for me, although I cast my own bullets, and have only used two different 200 gr SWC designs.

Thumbnail it is! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree with noylj as to the best of LSWC bullets. H&G 68 is what I shoot and load them at 1.250 for about 40 years now.

Make sure your spring has enough to push them up out of the mag fast enough to load smoothly. Thinking you put a lighter spring in due to the minor loads. Race guns load with 6-8 lbs springs but your gun may not be set up as smooth as dome open guns etc.

The joy of the 1911 is finding out what makes your particular one run best!!!!!

enjoy the trip