Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can these be used in a 38 super comp

jcl

Here is a pic of what they look like. I have read that I will have to clean my comp more often, which is fine with me. I couldn't help my self they were only 10.00 for a thousand .

Thanks

post-27077-0-13392400-1396732685_thumb.j

The greater problem may be leading the bore if you are trying to make the Major power factor. For shooting at lower velocities this may - or may not - be a problem depending on both the bullets and the barrel.

Lead deposits on the comp will occur. Hotter loads will likely deposit more than lighter loads.

But it does sounds like a good price!

Guy

Back in the Single stack open days!!!! I used 160 gr lead with no problems. Power factor was 175 we loaded to 180. The but is we only had to go to 1125 FPS. The heavier lead bullets didn't give me any problems back then.

As stated the lighter bullets pushed at 1350 + will more than likely vaporize lots of lead and you may not get through a whole match with out the bbl being leaded bad enough to cause accuracy problems

if you have a 9mm minor PF gun, shoot them in that and shoot the coated lead or CMJ/FMJ in the open gun. they will work alright, but pushing plain lead bullets at 1350+ FPS is going to cause a lot of leading. more than you'll want to clean off!

At maj PF, is there more lead dust to be ingested by the shooter?

I have no evidence to support this, but my guess (and it's nothing more than that) would be yes, but only a very small difference. particularly if you're using a bullet with an exposed bottom. In a major loaded open gun there is more pressure and presumably a bit more heat on the back of that bullet. Major guns also typically use slower burning powder so a more sustained burn period too.

I don't imagine it's much different though given that I've been told that most of the lead ingested during the actual firing of guns is coming from the primers. On that front we all basically use the same stuff.