Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for critiques and tips

bayougump

This is from my last match. First I am a C class production shooter and I've only been shooting about a year. I've made some big steps if you look at past vids on my YouTube channel. I am open to constructive criticism as the ultimate goal is to improve. Thanks in advance,

Gump

Sent from my flux capacitor

Yes, at that moment for some reason my brain thought going strong hand would help, lol. I nailed the landing like a Olympic skater though:-) Man that was fun match but I sucked it up

I shot this match as well and I really enjoy shooting there. Ok, this is what I saw. RUN, keep your gun up between target transitions, RUN, don't slap the trigger, RUN. On Stonehenge I noticed that you were slapping the trigger, don't let your finger off of the trigger, after the shot breaks, release the trigger to the reset point. When I first started out I wasn't running, I was la la gagging between target arrays, now I am a lot faster because I made myself run and not la la gag. When you are going to the next target array, have your gun up before you get there so when you see your target you are ready to shoot it as soon as you see it. I hope all this makes sense to you, if not PM me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this. Practice RELOADING. Missing the magwell and fumbling the reload will kill your time.

Dave

Edited by fuentesd99

Dave: Thanks for that advice I know it was meant for Gump but I can see where it applies to me as well.

Gump: What did you use to put the video together? I have all of my stages filmed but don't know of a good way to consolidate them into a single video like you did.

Footwork! Which can be worked on in dry fire practice, speed/agility training at the gym or at home.

I would suggest you work on your footwork, balance and moving abilities. It looked like you about fell over on several stages and that adds so much time to your overall stage times. Youtube some of the pro shooters and don't pay attention to their guns or shooting speed but watch how they move their feet. Look how they get into and out of positions quickly and effeciently.....Oh and run between positions and that will save you on time as well.

Gump,

You are lacking a sense of urgency in everything. You literally need to do everything faster. When it is time to draw... DRAW! When it is time to move... MOVE! When it is time to reload... RELOAD! You get the picture. You need to get and (or keep in several places) the gun up and running. You really seem to hesitate to pull the trigger the start slapping the crap out of it when you do start.

You see to be really safe. That is where it all starts. Now that you know how to be safe, start pushing yourself in drills.

You can work on all these things in dry fire. If you don't have a timer, get one. Get Ben Stoeger's and/or Steve Andersons dryfire book( I prefer Ben's) use it. Drive those par times in dry fire. Your live fire times will shrink in weeks.

Zack, What advise of mine did you take?

RUN, keep your gun up between target transitions, RUN, don't slap the trigger, RUN.

That pretty much sums up what I need to do. I had my wife film me at the match and in my mind I'm hauling ass through the stages and shooting quickly -- wrong! On film I look like a turtle.

Dave: Thanks for that advice I know it was meant for Gump but I can see where it applies to me as well.

Gump: What did you use to put the video together? I have all of my stages filmed but don't know of a good way to consolidate them into a single video like you did.

iMovie for the video and Imovie extras for the beginning and end, very easy to use

Thanks everyone for the input. I have 6 screws, 2 rods, and a cage in my back after 3 surgeries so I'm still trying to get moving faster after that but not an excuse. I've got to do everything faster. My next revolution in dry fire training started yesterday after arriving in the mail:-)huje7ura.jpg

Lucky you having the very latest book. Have you had much of a chance to check it out yet? Also thanks for the information I'll have to check out iMovie.

Yea, I've been dry firing with it and came up with a monthly schedule consisting of a few drills 5 nights a week in different skill sets. I still suck but dry fire has definitely made a difference

Clearly a little(TON) of Ben nuthugging going on here by the looks of your gear.. Haha..

That being said, you need to MOVE. You are not nearly aggressive enough... MOVE YOUR ASS! Also it looks like you *think* about each individual shot and transition. This indicates that you are not *mentally planning/programming* effectively. Take the time to plan your stage execution, when the timer goes off run the program. Also; there is a ton of wasted movement on your draws and reloads. Dry fire.

On your shooting positions you tend to shuffle your feet a lot, pick a place where you can see/shoot your targets with minimal movement and shuffling. When you get to a position be ready to shoot, you tend to carry the gun low and are wasting a lot of time on your setups. Also it appears that you do a lot of your reloads with the gun far away from your body, bring the gun in & stick your reloads faster.

Stage 8; back to that planning thing. Walk through & plan your stages, burn them in mentally like 50 times before you shoot. This was a prime example of not properly planning your stage for efficiency. Planning is a huge deal. Work on your start positions, on stage 9 you were way overextended which caused you a lot of truble hitting your draw and getting to the shooting quickly, choose a comfortable spot that lets you move with ease to get to the shooting. Also on the stages which have arrays on the right and to the left, you tend to do this zig zag movement, it would be much faster to stay in the middle and use your upper body like a turret rather than weaving your way through a course of fire.. The quickest way to get to a destination is a straight line..

I would suggest you work on your footwork, balance and moving abilities

I agree. I haven't seen the stages, but always captilze on the ability to engage a target as you come into a position and as you leave a position. Shift your attention to the non-shooting aspect of the game and perform those tasks quickly and efficiently. As far as slapping the trigger, there will come a time when you can manipulate (slap) the trigger same speed in and same speed out without disturbing the sight alignment enough to drop points. Until then, see what you need to see to make the shot and manipulate the trigger in a fashion that yields you the hit.

Clearly a little(TON) of Ben nuthugging going on here by the looks of your gear.. Haha..

That being said, you need to MOVE. You are not nearly aggressive enough... MOVE YOUR ASS! Also it looks like you *think* about each individual shot and transition. This indicates that you are not *mentally planning/programming* effectively. Take the time to plan your stage execution, when the timer goes off run the program. Also; there is a ton of wasted movement on your draws and reloads. Dry fire.

On your shooting positions you tend to shuffle your feet a lot, pick a place where you can see/shoot your targets with minimal movement and shuffling. When you get to a position be ready to shoot, you tend to carry the gun low and are wasting a lot of time on your setups. Also it appears that you do a lot of your reloads with the gun far away from your body, bring the gun in & stick your reloads faster.

Stage 8; back to that planning thing. Walk through & plan your stages, burn them in mentally like 50 times before you shoot. This was a prime example of not properly planning your stage for efficiency. Planning is a huge deal. Work on your start positions, on stage 9 you were way overextended which caused you a lot of truble hitting your draw and getting to the shooting quickly, choose a comfortable spot that lets you move with ease to get to the shooting. Also on the stages which have arrays on the right and to the left, you tend to do this zig zag movement, it would be much faster to stay in the middle and use your upper body like a turret rather than weaving your way through a course of fire.. The quickest way to get to a destination is a straight line..

Thanks for the input. I know I need to move much better but the 6 screws, 2 rods, and cage in my spine do not help but no excuse. I do see now watching film again about the zig zag action. I'm shooting oilfield classic this week and look to improve on my performance at Alabama

• 2 weeks later...

Well I shot the Oilfield Classic last week and I did better than my Alabama performance. Still much to work on but overall I did have improvements. Hopefully I can have an even better outing at the MS Classic in the coming weeks:-)