Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy project Glasses

Midas

I was recently looking throught Rudy Project's web site and could not find any certification for ANSI or other similar certification for lense protection. Did I miss something.

The glasses seem to be popular with shooters however Im not sure if I would risk my eyes for a cool looking glasses. I have two pairs but have yet to wear them for shooting.

I was woundering if anyone has any insight to this issue. Maybe I will call the Company for clarification.

Midas

:mellow:

Regarless of the rating, Rudy lenses are polycarb and are as thick or thicker than those that already pass ANSI. You can actually *see* out of the Rudys which I, personally, consider to be a safety feature in itself.

This is probably a paperwork problem, not a design / safety problem. I'm not going to run out the back door and blast my Rudys with my 12 ga. to prove it, but there's just no way that Rudys are less safe than anything else out there that has a piece of paper that says "ANSI approved". ANSI, like the NSSF, UL, and SAAMI is a *private* corporation, not a government entity and one has to PAY for their services.

Just to give you an idea of what a joke some of these standards are, in a past life, I used to have to buy plastic that had a burn rating of UL V-0, which meant it would burn at "such and such a rate for such and such period of time under exposure to said ignition source yadda yadda yadda." Ironically, a candle would also handily pass the UL V-0 requirements. So, all the certification really was, was a kickback to UL for a rubber stamp to inspire consumer "confidence." As in, "yup, we're 100% confident that your product will burn to a crisp if ignited."

And did I ever tell you guys the story of the UL certified hairdryer that literally exploded in my hand once...?

FWIW...

• 1 month later...

There you go - sorry for the long "delay". It's a 'rough' translation, so bear with me :) :

Subject:  Rudy Project lenses testing report

To your request, I am bringing on paper the main results/conclusions of the experiment I have made with the Rudy Project lenses on the 19th of March, 2003.

Background:

I have approached you, as the main distributor and importer of Rudy Project glasses in Israel, after needing glasses that would serve me as both Sunglasses and Protective glasses which would resist fragments and ricochet. After you have told me that the Rudy Project Lenses stands up to such requirements, I have to offered to conduct an experiment in order to verify this issue, and that is how this entire ‘testing’ was conceived.

Since the purpose of the experiment was to check the provided protection against fragments and ricochet, and by being a Shooting Instructor, I have chosen to put the lenses in a shot gun shooting test, meaning, a trial in which, the high impact of multitude/many small lead spherical rounds into the lens, is tested.

The place that was chosen as the experimental site for the test was “Danny High” shooting range in Caesarea.

The Experiment:

The experiment in discussion was planned as a scientific/comparative experiment and therefore I am avoiding deliberately in giving exact details on how it was done, however, the following general details can be given:

1. For the necessity of this experiment, you have given me several Rudy Project Lenses from different models of sunglasses. Those lenses were then set by you, under my supervision, on a wooden plank using screws in a way that the lenses were fixed firmly on the wooden platform without the ability to move.

2. After placing the wooden plank on which the lenses were firmly fixed at the target line in the range, I have commenced/performed shooting toward the target with two different shot guns and at varied distances

3. In total, 20 type .410 shotgun cartridges/shot shells (b/p.size 9) and 12Ga (b/p.size 9 and 7.5) were fired to the same number of lenses, and that in range and distance of 8-18 meters.

Results:

1. The Rudy Project lenses were able to stop the shotgun pellets and prevent it’s penetration to the wooden plank at the rear, nearly in all of the occurrences seen, even in cases where the lenses were cracked or broken.

2. The lenses couldn’t prevent the penetration of the pellets in only two events.

3. It should be mentioned, that in certain cases, the lenses blocked the pellets and stayed intact even after withstanding the direct impact of more than 30 pellets.

Conclusion:

The Rudy Project lenses have endured and respectfully faced at the test presented to it, and showed surprising capability in the aforementioned trial, which to all opinions, is demanding in particular.

Respectfully yours,

Perry Novotny, Advocate

Comment : To prevent any doubt, it should be stressed that the undersigned didn’t receive any reward/compensation or benefit for performing this trial or writing these lines.

Many of the questions about the ANSI rating are the same ones I had when I took over as the Firearms Industry Rep for Rudy Project 4 years ago. Trouble is the huge fee that ANSI charges for the test and the certification.... way up there.

The RP line passed and is Certotica certified as well as the Australina equivilant.

In use by the Israeli and Italian armies, and more than passed several tests in house with our own Special Forces.

I have several lenses that more than passed drop and impact tests as well as one pair that took a double charged .45 blowing up, dinged the lens pretty good but the girl that was wearing them was just fine.

The pictures mirror the same results I have found and for all intents and purposes the lenses are thicker than Oakley and Wiley X, plus just like Eric said, you can actually see clearly thru these.

• 2 weeks later...

Israel is ranked 2nd in the world in Rudy Sales - 1st place, the US. Even though Rudy in Israel is kind of pricey, it's a real ongoing 'trend', the Military(including special forces), Police and almost all the agencies, as well as IPSC shooters are using it.

There are Discounts for Mil/LE, etc', but not for IPSC <_<

I took a nose dive (literally) and scratched my Rudy lenses and munched up the frames. Sent 'em all off to them last week - I'm hoping their customer service matches Oakley's, who have replaced 2 pairs for me after nose dives! I'll let y'all know when/if they show up here!

My company does the required FDA tests for all the lenses we make [the biggest lens co. in the world] on test samples of every product.

The plastic lenses all shatter - it's just a matter of how thin they have to go to shatter. Stainless steel ball bearings about .5" diameter dropped from 5' high.

Polycarbonate NEVER shatters. To test them is just a formality. They have so much flex and natural strength that everything just bounces off them.

i like my RP kerosene, but i just find it a little heavy on the nose area which sometimes gives me a terrible migrane...as far as performance and looks goes, i would recommend it 100%

Shootergrrl, please let us know what happened, if they changed or repaired it...mine's due for some changes... :D

thanks

Okay - so I sent my Rudy's off 2/11/05 - with the required $14.95 for the Replacement Lens Guarantee. At the last minute, I added a note and my frames too asking them to please tune them up, as they had gotten stretched out pretty bad and wouldn't stay on my face!

Today - I got a brand new pair of glasses in the mail! I'm happy, and being a FEMALE and an IPSC shooter, the chances of that happening are pretty low :)

I've been using my RP Kerosene for the past 3 years and aside from the green stuff along the temples and the nose pads, they're still 100% intact.

Compare these to the 4 Oakley M Frames that have disintegrated the previous 2 years before I changed to the RPs. I've nothing against the Oakleys, their lenses are legendary, but what bugs me is that the frames become very brittle they crumble even if you don't use them. Must be the high humidity here in Asia or something.

Infinity: you can have your RP serviced at the Podium mall shop.

Kath,

is yours also a kerosene?

Doc,

i was able to get in touch with their Main Office here in ortigas and i was asked to send it there as they would take care of it. the aluminum sides and my wonderful sweat didn't mix very well....it gave my kerosene a beautiful RUST LOOKING finish :wacko:

i'm hoping i would be able to experience what Kath had, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION!!!!!!! Good Luck to me!!

thanks