Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Supplies

syme71

I'm getting geared up to start reloading and wanted to know where most of you get your supplies. I live in NJ and the gun shops around here don't cater to reloaders much so I have to go the mail order route for most of my supplies.

Where's the best (cheapest) place to get the following:

Media (walnut and corn)

Bullets

Primers

Powder

Thanks!

I'll 2nd Powder Valley and will also suggest Midway USA for most supplies (not powder or primers), Precision Bullets (but are retooling and not taking orders now) and Master Blaster Bullets. I have never had a problem with any of these suppliers.

The last time I ordered bullets I got Zeros from Angus, much better prices than I could find anywhere else.

http://www.ghostholster.com/

Powder valley has pretty good prices on bullets and primers, but Angus was competitive on VV-320 which is what I wanted. So I got bullets and powder from him.

For all other supplies I usually go to Midway.

Media - buy locally. Call a blasting shop or just use rice like the Frenchies.

Primers - Gun shows. On the left coast, we can get primers for about $60/5000 at the local gun show. Even if you have to pay the entry fee and parking just to buy primers, it's always cheaper than mail order by a substantial amount.

T&T reloading has always been great when it came to primers for me. After looking at their new page, their policy is more than $200 they pay $10 of the hazmat, more than $400 they pay all of the hazmat. I believe this applies to powder and primers. However if they have to split the order up due to the 70 pound limit, there may be 2 hazmat charges. One would be free, other would be whatever. At least that's how I see it, it might not be true.

I've had nothing but good luck with these folks as far as Primers go.

They even have Win and Rem Bulk packed 38 super brass. $93/k for Win, $98/k for Rem Nickle.

Oddly ebough, it gave me the actual IP address for their new page.

http://216.15.64.227/

The old page is:

http://www.tntreloading.com/

Vince

They may not be the cheapest at all times but Cabelas is running a $30 off any $100 or more inventory reduction sale now thru Jan 9th.

I just bought 1500 230 gr FMJ for an end cost of $84.40 including shipping.

It's a good time to buy a one time order cheap.

TW

We get most of our powder and primers through our local trap and skeet club. They have a supplier that visits all the various clubs in the state during the shooting season. For example 8lbs of Clays is $96.00 with no hazmat and no shipping. Small pistol primers run about $65.00/5000. Of course they usually carry the typical powders used by shotgun reloaders but I've had them pick up other powders as well.

In our area we occassionally find good deals on components at gun shows. Last month Winchester 231 was going for $37.50 per 4lb jug.

I would also recommend T&T reloading. Depending on where you are located in NJ, it may be feasible for you to skip the shipping and pick up the supplies at the shop near Easton, PA. Be sure to call ahead to make sure that he has what you need in stock and arrange a time to pick the items up.

Dave

T&T are good guys. Last big PA gunshow I went to, I picked up 35,000 primers (a few for me & most for friends). I asked the T&T salesman:

"So that's about $68 per 5000?"

"No sir, its $66.50 per 5000."

Honest folks, T&T. I sure hope they can find a bullet of the quality & price of the Star bullets I bought through them. Either way, they still have my business.

I would also recommend T&T reloading. Depending on where you are located in NJ, it may be feasible for you to skip the shipping and pick up the supplies at the shop near Easton, PA. Be sure to call ahead to make sure that he has what you need in stock and arrange a time to pick the items up.

Dave

Thanks for th tip on T&T. They're ~70 miles away. I can definitely swing the occasional drive out to them for supplies.

Anyone ever try their house brand 180 FMJ bullet? Seems reasonable at $55.50 per thousand.

Thats cool that you can drive 70 miles and get stuff. :D The only way I get to do that is when they have a gunshow.

T&T looks like they are pretty well set up to cover most things. I did not see any VitaVouri powders.

I've ordered on line from Grafs and from Powder Valley both with excelnt levels of service and price.

Thanks for th tip on T&T. They're ~70 miles away. I can definitely swing the occasional drive out to them for supplies.

Anyone ever try their house brand 180 FMJ bullet? Seems reasonable at $55.50 per thousand.

T&T sells Frontier brand FMJ bullets. Made in South Africa. I shoot the 180's and find them to be of high quality and reasonably priced. I tried to buy several thousand at the Valley Forge gun show on Saturday, but they were sold out. T&T owner said to expect the next shipment after January 1st. Price increase is expected due to the rising cost of lead.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody here have any experience ordering from Action Shooting Supply (Tom Duchmann) in Louisiana? His prices on Montana Gold bullets are very good, at least as of the last site update 9/04. I'd heard he will ship for free for a 10 case order, but I'm in CA, and he hasn't replied to my email yet.

also in NJ.

powder I get from solomon's in NJ. It's a couple bucks more than ordering online, but no hazmat or shipping fees, so actually it's cheaper.

bullets I either do group buys with my club.

primers, I either do solomon or Rays sport shop if doing one or two thousand, the difference is only about buck. If I want to do liek 5k at once or whatever the magic number is, there's a guy who services our bullseye contingent that saves a few bucks over that.

brass I make myself.. usually either foprm WWB or S&B.

tumbler media... petco or equivalent. corn cob bedding or litter, they also have walnut sometimes as bedding, but it is harder to find, and the $18 25lb bag of corn cob is far from running out.

also in NJ.

powder I get from solomon's in NJ. It's a couple bucks more than ordering online, but no hazmat or shipping fees, so actually it's cheaper.

bullets I either do group buys with my club.

primers, I either do solomon or Rays sport shop if doing one or two thousand, the difference is only about buck. If I want to do liek 5k at once or whatever the magic number is, there's a guy who services our bullseye contingent that saves a few bucks over that.

brass I make myself.. usually either foprm WWB or S&B.

tumbler media... petco or equivalent. corn cob bedding or litter, they also have walnut sometimes as bedding, but it is harder to find, and the $18 25lb bag of corn cob is far from running out.

Raz,

where is Solomon's located?

I actually made the trip out to T&T (www.tntreloading.com). Very well stocked on the basic necessities. I only wish they carried VV powders. I loaded up on supplies and the trip wasn't all that bad - a little over an hour in each direction from Northern NJ.

I just tried their Frontier plated and had pretty good results with 3.5gr of TG. Price isn't bad at $55/thousand in .40

I'll have to look up solomon's location when I get home as i forget the actual town it's in off the top of my head. it's about a 30 minute drive south from edison, so might be more of a hike for you than T&T. Don't know if they carry VV.

[edit: ok, got home]

>You may call Gene Solomon at 732-938-2189 Mon-Wed & Fri 6:30 PM to 9:00,

>Sun 1:00PM-4:00PM, 142 Yellowbrook Road, Farmingdale, NJ 07727. I

>always take 18south to Rt 33 something. You are better off calling him

>for directions. Bring cash.

It's a bit of an odd place. The signage by the road claims it is called Solomon's Guns IIRC. The powder and primers are fairly priced, which is saying a lot in this state. If you want VV, you might as well just order in bulk form powder valley. It's what the local guys do unless someone is making a powder run to/from a match or some other thing that would have them making a long trip.