Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking... bout a new gun.

FishnHuntIN

So I shot my first 3gun match and had a blast. Since I enjoyed it so much I'll probably try some USPSA matches as well this year. Currently shooting a 4.25" M&P 9mm. My tax check is coming in a few weeks, and I'm already thinking about a new competition gun even though I've got better things to put the money to. :devil: I like my M&P ok, but I figure there are better, if not much better, options out there. Modifying my M&P is not out of the question, but I'm no gunsmith and it'd need to be super dummy-proof.

A little backgound first. I'm new to competition and handgunning in general this year. I'm going to do some training this year, already got some lined up. I really don't have too much experience with other guns, just a few mags through a buddy's Glock and gov't 1911. Based on what I've read, for 3gun I might be better off sticking with a striker-fired pistol but I'm not necessarily set on it. I'd also prefer, for now anyway, to stick with a single gun for both disciplines. Looking at Limited Division for USPSA, Tac Optics for 3gun. Not looking at a custom gun or anything, probably needs to stay at/under $1000. By doing that I'd have a little money for add'l and/or extended mags, new holster, etc.

What would y'all recommend? New gun? Modify what I've got? What mods are important for Limited/3gun? All recommendations & advice gratefully received, even if it's STHU and get to practicing with what I've got... Thanks!

Edited by FishnHuntIN

That 4.25" will get you pretty far. Get the required equipment for what divisions you want to play in and spend the rest on ammo and training. Once you feel that you are proficient enough that you "need" an upgrade you will have a better idea of what you want. Gear is no substitute for practice.

Do you currently reload? :cheers:

I do not, unfortunately. May get into it eventually, but not this year. Got to finish my house first. That is my main concern if I move to .40. Not sure I'm good enough for that to matter, but the thought's there just the same.

Edited by FishnHuntIN

I think investing in a reloading setup and practicing would be a wise decision. Even if you sell your current gun and move to another gun in a different caliber you can sell your dies / conversion kit / etc and not be out much.

I think investing in a reloading setup and practicing would be a wise decision. Even if you sell your current gun and move to another gun in a different caliber you can sell your dies / conversion kit / etc and not be out much.

If my house was done, this is probably what I'd do. Unfortunately, I have nowhere I can setup the equipment right now. Practicing, however, is definitely on the agenda.

Shoot production for a year with your 9 in uspsa. It will work well for 3 gun as well. then if you want to go to limited grab an m&p 40 pro with a 9mm conversion barrel.

that will let you shoot 9mm in 3 gun (you will already have the mags) and let you set it up for limited in USPSA just add a mag well, FSS trigger and basepads for the mags and you are ready to go.

Thanks for the input y'all. I'll stick with my 9mm for this year and look at getting into reloading as soon as I can. For now I'm going to put the Apex trigger in and spend anything else on ammo & training.

If I were in the situation you describe, I would put off shooting 3-gun, use my current 9mm m&p to shoot uspsa production, and spend the money on a DILLON SDB 9mm press, bullets, powder, & primers. I would then make a time commitment to shoot matches every month.

I'm in a similar boat...have a fine production gun, but thinking about something sexier. Problem is I can't really justify it. Imagine two of you:

#1 spends the money on a sweet new gat

#2 spends the money on a class or two with some well-respected teacher and thousands of rounds of ammo with which to practice what is taught in those classes

Some time passes, and shooter #1 is now completely familiar with his new gat, and shooter #2 has just finished shooting the last of those thousands of rounds of practice ammo on the drills he learned in those classes he took.

Which shooter places better in the next match, #1 or #2?

I answered #2, by a mile, so I can't justify a new gun :(

Edited by ummm

I'm in a similar boat...have a fine production gun, but thinking about something sexier. Problem is I can't really justify it. Imagine two of you:

#1 spends the money on a sweet new gat

#2 spends the money on a class or two with some well-respected teacher and thousands of rounds of ammo with which to practice what is taught in those classes

Some time passes, and shooter #1 is now completely familiar with his new gat, and shooter #2 has just finished shooting the last of those thousands of rounds of practice ammo on the drills he learned in those classes he took.

Which shooter places better in the next match, #1 or #2?

I answered #2, by a mile, so I can't justify a new gun :(

Good way to put it, I like that break down.

Put the APEX FSS trigger kit in last night, and dang what a difference! Looking forward to putting some rounds through my "new" gun. :goof: