Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling a shotgun worth it

BOOM

I was a construction worker,, My hands are beat up dry, and feel like sand paper, So for me the rougher the better on a gun. I'm trying to eliminate thinking about over gripping the gun focus more on the front sight.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-Walk-Outdoor-2-Inch--180-Inch/dp/B0006HVKM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395358362&sr=8-1&keywords=Ladder+tape

http://www.amazon.com/Incom-RE3952-Safety-4-Inch-15-Foot/dp/B002GTPIJG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_z

I have limited feeling in my right hand. The grit of ladder tape seems better than skate board tape for me.

The absolute best is Jim Shanahan's SOCD treatment. I have had him do grips for my Sig and use his coated Ergo grip on ARs. I bet he can do your shotgun too. It isn't for people with girly hands.

http://shop.advancedperformanceshooting.com/Special-Operations-and-Combat-Diver-grip-Ergo-SOCD-Ergo.htm

Thanks everyone again; I'll try tape first, then try a friends stipple gun, and also give Jim Shanahan a call see what he thinks. I'll Pass on cheek weld that would leave a mark ;/ ouch

"Coolness Factor", wow, that is the first time I have heard that. If you have seen my shotgun you would never think it was done just to be cool.

Brian - Your forward sling mount on your Vinci was totally done to be cool. So cool, in fact, you did it again from what I recall. Now there's some "tactical" cooling ports there! :D

I use a product called "safety walk." I procured a decent size roll of it last year and it will last me a long time. The black "outdoor" version is better than the rubberized one. It was very sharp, so I took a scrap piece and scuffed/dulled the surface until it was a sharp as I wanted. I have rough, dry hands and have held other's stippled shotguns. It's basically a permanent alternative to the grip tape.

Start with what you can change (tape), figure out where you want the texturing, then decide if the tape is good enough or you want to take on a basement weekend beer drinking project to stipple it. Just be sure to turn a fan on.

"Coolness Factor", wow, that is the first time I have heard that. If you have seen my shotgun you would never think it was done just to be cool.

Brian - Your forward sling mount on your Vinci was totally done to be cool. So cool, in fact, you did it again from what I recall. Now there's some "tactical" cooling ports there! :D

I use a product called "safety walk." I procured a decent size roll of it last year and it will last me a long time. The black "outdoor" version is better than the rubberized one. It was very sharp, so I took a scrap piece and scuffed/dulled the surface until it was a sharp as I wanted. I have rough, dry hands and have held other's stippled shotguns. It's basically a permanent alternative to the grip tape.

Start with what you can change (tape), figure out where you want the texturing, then decide if the tape is good enough or you want to take on a basement weekend beer drinking project to stipple it. Just be sure to turn a fan on.

Jake, I can imagine that safety walk might just be a 3M product.

They also really like the long tubes when they go to the Dakota's to hunt.

But doesn't that ruin the balance?

It depends on what you want and like for the balance. For me I prefer a heavier shotgun overall and I don't want it balanced I want if nose heavy. My previous experience is shooting skeet with a heavy k-80 that was so I am use to moving the heavier gun. I tried a benelli before and totally hated it. On the stippling I don't think it's as valuable as with a pistol and don't have mine done

Edited by EkuJustice

It depends on the material and finish of the stock. My M2 was relatively 'slick'. The factory pattern just wasn't aggressive enough, so I had the pistol grip and forearm stippled aggressively. I REALLY like it. You definitely have a grip on the gun.

Local gun store had a Franchi 26 inch and the guy behind the counter said check it out. The shotgun seems really nice, but right away I noticed the factory checker job WOW! very sharp and deep Franchi did it right, that's what I'm talking about. Still for the money Stoeger is a way better deal ;)

Using the VM tactical and Benelli shotguns, I notice that Benelli is slippery when raining or when it is cold and I can't feel anything in my hands. I wish there were some type of spray on rubber texturing stuff that will work well. I don't need the roughness of the stippling, but want that tacky feel. Especially in the cold.

Using the VM tactical and Benelli shotguns, I notice that Benelli is slippery when raining or when it is cold and I can't feel anything in my hands. I wish there were some type of spray on rubber texturing stuff that will work well. I don't need the roughness of the stippling, but want that tacky feel. Especially in the cold.

Maybe something like this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012RFP00?pc_redir=1395344016&robot_redir=1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd better try 3M non slip tape first to see if I noticed any improvement on how the gun handles . Its very aggressive; I do have a secure firm grip on the gun now as compared to the factory checkering . id Hawk; what stippled pattern did you use, any pic's you can share.

Stippled the front of the grip, pretty aggressively with overlapping medium sized "dots". Feels great holding the shotgun one handed. Have not fired it since stippling. Tried the tape first, but could not get it to lay flat due to multiple curves in grip. Took a chance with permanent alteration, but like it. Am considering doing the sides of foregrip, but not sure it would help. Does it?

i think 3 gunners can get away with it because we only hold the gun for a short amount of time. My open M&P is stippled to hell and back! Out of the holster, it sticks to me like glue and I can grab it easily in any condition. But after an extended session my hands are raw.

Same is true with the shotgun. We only really hold it for like 30 seconds, so rough and abrasive is best. If I had to hike in somewhere or sit with it all day, I'm sure my thoughts would be way different.

3 gunners do a lot of stuff to customize gear and have fun with it. Don't lie, it's like barbie for men. Seriously, how many of you have more sets of grips than 1911s? so at least some of it is having fun and playing dress up.

I think shotguns are popular to do because they are an easy 3 beer project, and if you really mess it up you're out like $50 for a new set. If you jack up your new Glock or 1911. And if stippling really did make everything better, wouldn't people be stippling AR lowers and hand guards, pistol triggers, and the parts of carry gun that rub against love handles?

I did mine before the TFD match and I am glad I did. With all the rain and mud, im sure it would have slipped at some point in my hands if I didn't do it. Once I got back home, I finished off the grip and went higher on the hand guard on the side becuase of how I hold it and point.

• 3 weeks later...

I was afraid to try it at first but after reading up hear I decided to just jump in. It is easier than it looks even if you've never done it. I took a plain jane soldering iron and just started lightly pressing on my shotgun stock and forend. Go slow and the nice thing is if you hate it most shotguns are pretty cheap to replace the plastic stock and forends. Once I did it once I was hooked. Go for it man, fortune favors the bold!