Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for 5.25 9mm? PRP Extreme Trigger

IrishPsych

I figure with IDPA I'd use the factory one. But if there is a good holster I could use for both I'd be all ears.

I'll be getting this in about 2 weeks and plan on ordering the necessary parts so they are here.

I will be shooting production and idpa.

Anyone have experience with the new PRP Extreme kit? Says 2.5lbs.

Get the blade tech DOH. Use the DOH BRACKET for Production and take it off for IDPA. You then have a stingray. You might find you can do just fine without the DOH bracket in Production but at least you will have it if you decide to use it.

As for the trigger, I have the original PRP drop in trigger and it is awesome. Don't know about the extreme. Just make sure it is Production legal before buying

Edited by Sarge

I got the ultimate trigger kit and I think its pretty awesome too. Required very little fitting and it was good to go. Made a huge difference. The only reason I didn't try the extreme was because my xdm is my do all gun and I didn't want a 2.5lb trigger for carrying.

Cant help much on holster advice as I use the factory one that came with the gun for IDPA, NRA action pistol, and steel challenge matches, and dont feel like Im at any real disadvantage. That being said I do plan to get some type of offset holster for the steel and action pistol matches.

As far as the trigger goes, I have the drop in PRP kit, and with the supplied blue competition springs my trigger breaks right at 3lbs, with little take up and virtually no overtravel. Im sure the competition kit is real nice, I just dont see how it can be much better than the drop in kit. The extreme sounds good, but Im not sure a 2.5lb pull is right for me.

The blade tech holsters are pretty solid, but I tend to prefer the comp-tac international. The tradeoff is that the comp-tac drop offset hanger isn't as good, but considering I switch back and forth between IDPA and USPSA, I just wear my holster in the same place for both sports so I don't have to alter my draw. I actually have the paddle mount on mine, which works really well when clipped onto a DAA belt.

Edited by BungeeeMan

What Sarge says, except I would just go with the drop in trigger and the light comp springs that come with it as dave says. I have the "ultimate" installed by a gunsmith in mine, wife has the drop-in installed by me. No realistic difference IMHO.

Check first if it's legal for USPSA Production. In IDPA with either kit you will be in ESP.

JD

I have the original competition trigger in mine and it's really nice, 3lb 4oz break. Just last night installed the new ultimate trigger in a buddies gun and it's flippin awesome. His breaks at 2lb 6oz. Just got in the house from test firing it and it ran like a swiss watch. I'm now having trigger envy.

The PRP triggers are production legal, but as you said, not SSP legal in IDPA.

do you think they will make an ssp trigger?

The PRP trigger system depends on some altered trigger geometry and a hard over travel stop built into the trigger, so they have to replace the OEM trigger to really improve it over the factory system. I kind of doubt they'll change, seeing as they obviously think that's the best way to do it, and the hard over travel stop is nicely adjustable to get as much travel out as possible. The Springer Precision system uses a different trigger bar to control travel, so they keep the stock trigger and thus it's an SSP legal system. It's got a different feel from the PRP system, though they are both pretty amazing for plastic gun triggers. I lean towards the Springer system anyway, it's got a little crisper break than any of the PRP triggers I've tried, but if you want to shoot SSP it's your best option.

Edited by BungeeeMan

• 2 weeks later...

I also prefer the Comp-Tac International. Comes with 3 different mounts - paddle, belt and DOH. Very easy to switch between USPSA and IDPA. My 5.25 has the PRP Ultimate. Legal in USPSA and IDPA ESP. If I run the gun in SSP I switch back to original trigger.

I also prefer the Comp-Tac International. Comes with 3 different mounts - paddle, belt and DOH. Very easy to switch between USPSA and IDPA. My 5.25 has the PRP Ultimate. Legal in USPSA and IDPA ESP. If I run the gun in SSP I switch back to original trigger.

I love the international's holster body, I think it's generally molded better than the blade-techs, and the paddle mount rocks for IDPA. The one downside for USPSA is the DOH hanger, which is kind of floppy and gets in the way of my thumb on the draw (like most DOH hangers, including the blade-tech). I recently got my hands on a boss mount from Ben Stoeger's shop (http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/BSPS-BOSS-DOH-Holster-Hanger-p/bsps-hanger.htm) and mounted my international to it. It's by far the best production setup out there.