Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Tumbler

syme71

I use the Lyman 3200 and love it. Holds plenty and runs great for the last 10 years. When it does finally quite working I'll have a Big Dillon. Until then I think I'm going to try the rice thing. Use corn cob only right now. Thanks for the info Eric. :D

Thanks for the info Eric. :D

Actually, thank our fine forum friends from La France. I can't remember if it was Julien or Jerome that came up with it, but I sure never would have figured it out.

I priced out industrial walnut shell: $25 for 50 lbs. Rice is $6/25 lbs at the local warehouse mart. I guess we all better send some Yuletide cheer to France in appreciation for saving us the bucks.

After four years of serious vibratory cleaning, my midway tumbler finally let the smoke out. I started pricing replacements. Small Dillon $99.00, large Dillon $159.00

Midway/Franklin Arsonal $39.00.

I bought the Midway. I may be wrong but I can't see any tumbler lasting 12 years to make the small dillon cost effective or 16 years for the large one.

OBTH- corn cob media from a sand blasting supply store with midway polish. Nice clean shiny brass.

FWIW

dj

For some of us it's not just the $ ---- I hate anything having to do with reloading, so I want the biggest, fastest, most efficient tools to get me in and out of reloading in the shortest amount of time......

The primer tube filler is the only other thing I "need"......

For some of us it's not just the $ ---- I hate anything having to do with reloading, so I want the biggest, fastest, most efficient tools to get me in and out of reloading in the shortest amount of time......

May I suggest an alternative? :huh:

Can't beat the price or performance. I love mine.

Twix,

Brasso bad for brass cases, the amonia makes the brass brittle as it attacks the copper content. Fine for trinkets and ornaments but not for anything that will be subjected to high pressure.

Tumblers simple.

Midways cheapest (I own two) Dillon the best. Just ordered the biggie.

Midways will be reserved for small runs of odd ball cases and Moly coating Projectiles. Mine are 4 and 5 years old and been abused badly, but I need to be able to clean more than 400 38Super in one hit. So out with the big Dillon.

If you haven't tried the berry's tumbler, your missing out.

Berry's is the cheepest, and polishes the best of any i have used,

including Dillon, and midway's. I have herd that the new midway's works

much better than the older one. As far as Brasso you need to try it before

you make your decision, as i have been using it for over 6 years, im talking

about a tbl spoon in a small tumbler when i dump brass in. haven't seen any sighs

of brass becoming brittle or splitting because of brasso. I am averaging 15 + reloads on my 38 supers and .40s, if brasso is weakening the brass i figure its

a decent trade off, for the speed in cleaning the brass.

May I suggest an alternative? :huh:

Can't beat the price or performance. I love mine.

Thanks for the suggestion ---- but I want to go hands free, so I can pull the handle some more while it's dealing with the primers. Maybe for my birthday in May.....

But you're absolutely right --- it's a viable alternative that's attractively priced....

just an update. I bought the Berry's kit (tumbler, rotary sifter, corn cob amd polish). Tumbler is very quiet. Rubber feet on the bottom do a good job of absorbing vibrations. Had it running on my new workbench and nothing else was rattling. I also appreciate the clear lid and screw knob.

It's not as heavy as other tumblers I've handled so I'm a little concerned on how heavy duty the motor really is.

The rotary tumbler is nice because it's all enclosed, cuts down on the dust when sifting. Bad part is the plastic hinges are flimsy.

I was able to clean ~800 .40 cases.

• 3 months later...

I'm with patches on this one.

The midway kit with tumbler and seperator was a bargain. Add one of those outlet timer thingies, set it going, and let it turn off automatically.

Cheap. Mine has worked fine for 3 years so far (or thereabouts). And I can keep up with my 5000 rounds per year habit with it.

If I shot 15000 rounds per year, I might want a bigger tumbler.

DD

I've had my midway tumbler for over 15 years and it runs great. For the last 3 years I've been running 12k through it and it keeps on goin'. I've been considering adding a second tumbler to speed things up a bit. They're on sale for 36 bucks. <_<

Midway