Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

metering 700x problem

3djedi

I'm getting huge swings in powder measurements out of my LNL ap press. I'm going for 2.8gn and get anywhere from 2.5-3.1. I have to measure every bullet. Anything I can do to sort this out?

I found that polishing the crap out of the inside of my Dillon powder measure cleared up any issues i had with the flake powder feeding correctly. Another thing i always do is give the ram an extra tap on the downstroke to make sure all the powder drops. This is a habit i got into loading extruded powder for my 223 loads.

I use 700x in my lnl ap as well and I find it really hard to use with that low of a charge. I am typically in the 4-5gr range.

If you are using a powder baffle I would take that out and try to keep as much powder in the hopper as possible, which seemed to help me.

Keep the hopper very full if possible and as mentioned above, take out the baffle. I discovered that the new 7 oz pop cans fit nicely inside a Dillon measure so I dropped a POS Chinese 1/4" socket wrench in the empty, clean can for weight and place it atop the powder column.

Redneck engineering, baby!

Mark

Keep the hopper very full if possible and as mentioned above, take out the baffle. I discovered that the new 7 oz pop cans fit nicely inside a Dillon measure so I dropped a POS Chinese 1/4" socket wrench in the empty, clean can for weight and place it atop the powder column.

Redneck engineering, baby!

Mark

Nice! I actually thought of taking the baffle out but haven't tried it yet. What's the purpose of the baffle anyway?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I've always assumed those baffles were to support most of the weight of the powder above the baffle for more consistent weight on (or compression of) the powder below the baffle. But now's where some engineer jumps in and points out how common sense doesn't apply, hehehe.

I'm lurking here because I just picked up a 4lb jug of 700x for potential 45acp use.

I have seen some attach a small vibratory motor to the side of the powder hopper while loading flake powders to get a more consistent drop.

This is what the LGS advised me to do while they were selling me some 700X since I can't find any other powder to load 9mm with after I run out of my current powder. They advised a cheap electric razor. I havn't tried it yet and wonder what more experienced forum members think.

Eric

I have seen some attach a small vibratory motor to the side of the powder hopper while loading flake powders to get a more consistent drop.

This is what the LGS advised me to do while they were selling me some 700X since I can't find any other powder to load 9mm with after I run out of my current powder. They advised a cheap electric razor. I havn't tried it yet and wonder what more experienced forum members think.

Eric

Go down to the local pharmacy and look in the feminine hygiene section for something cheaper then a razor...

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

Eric

Go down to the local pharmacy and look in the feminine hygiene section for something cheaper then a razor...

Or just look around your wife's underwear drawer. In the long run, it's probably cheaper to buy the electric razor. Happy wife happy life!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I've always assumed those baffles were to support most of the weight of the powder above the baffle for more consistent weight on (or compression of) the powder below the baffle. But now's where some engineer jumps in and points out how common sense doesn't apply, hehehe.

I'm lurking here because I just picked up a 4lb jug of 700x for potential 45acp use.

That is pretty much the reason, it is supposed to keep the pressure off for more consistent weights, I take it out every time I use flake powder though.

I use 700x in 45acp at about ~1.22-23 and 4.8gr or higher, anything under 4.5 for me does not cycle well in my 1911 and my friends xdm .45.

That sounds like a great idea

I am running 700x and E3, both flake powder. I was having extremely erratic drops. I determined I had static electricity problem. I tore apart the powder measure, wiped it out with a fabric softener, and run a ground wire from my case feeder to my powder measure. The problem has disappeared. You results may vary.

• 4 months later...

I wound up getting several lbs of 700x, thinking it would be a good powder for practice loads. I tried loading a bunch the other night, and OMG what a PITA. My LNL AP powder drop did NOT like this stuff. The rotor would stick in the down position at almost every other stroke, and had waaaaay too many light loads/squibs (caught by my RCBS lockout die). I too had the baffle in. I will try taking the baffle out and the cheap fish tank pump, and see if this helps any. But so far I am not impressed with this stuff - at all. :angry2:

I wound up getting several lbs of 700x, thinking it would be a good powder for practice loads. I tried loading a bunch the other night, and OMG what a PITA. My LNL AP powder drop did NOT like this stuff. The rotor would stick in the down position at almost every other stroke, and had waaaaay too many light loads/squibs (caught by my RCBS lockout die). I too had the baffle in. I will try taking the baffle out and the cheap fish tank pump, and see if this helps any. But so far I am not impressed with this stuff - at all. :angry2:

I tried all those tricks but nothing helped. I'll stick with the ball powders.