Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overwhelmed!

3djedi

Just getting into reloading and I'm overwhelmed with all the choices!

I'm looking for a bullet for idpa and limited minor. I would also use it for just practice as well. This is strictly local matches nothing serious for a glock 34... dont want anything high dollar at this point.

I think I want to try 147g. I've been using 115g factory reloads up to this point.

Also, what's a good website to get loading supplies at good prices?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Give rmrbullets.com a try. They are xtreme resellers and offer what they call "2nds". They say they may have small imperfections but the 10k that I have loaded I think I've found maybe a half dozen that had minor marks on the plating.

I use 124s loaded with bullseye or Titegroup for IDPA or USPSA minor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from factory 115's to 147 to 124 and now I am back on 147's. I suggest trying them both out and using a timer figure out which you shoot better. To me,124 felt more natural coming off of the snappy factory rounds but I perform better with 147's. I've loaded MG, PDelta, Bayou, zero, and black with good results. I do not recommend lead for a stock glock barrel. Powder and primers from powdervalley.

Make a list of common powders used by others for 9mm loads by searching the heck out of this forum. The search function is your friend. THEN bookmark http://www.gunbot.net on your computer and stay on it religiously until one of the powders on your list shows up in stock. ORDER SOME>>>FAST then wait expectantly for the shit to come in the mail. Load. :cheers:

What Lifeislarge said, plus make sure the components in your search work will in a G34. That way, you can feel confident in ordering bulk if you're going the internet route. Hazmat fees are going to kill if you're just ordering a couple pounds of powder and a box of primers. If you just want to dabble at first or do some load experimenting, find an LGS with reasonable prices. Get your feet wet, shoot a few matches. You may find yourself wanting to go with a different platform or division which may lead to a whole new set of components. I hope what I said doesn't keep you up at night. I've been there.

I went with 147's because its easier to make power factor. In the Glock I'd use the extreme or other jacketed bullet because of the rifleing in the barrel and it leading up.

Other than that look at Lymans reloading book. A very good source for getting a feel of what you need and don't need. This forum will help tremendously also.

Tood,

It is unclear if you have reloading equipment. If not i suggest Dillon. You had been looking for a limited gun last week. Maybe that has changed. Whatever direction you go Dillon is a good choice . Most people recommended Imstart with rhe Dillon 550. This was good advice. As I started shooting in ernest I switched to the Dillon 650 and could'nt be happier. The company really stands behind their product when you have problems. As mention a forum seach will reveal all the information you will likely need for different bullets and powder. Rember do not exceed the powder recommendations from the manufacturer.

a forum seach will reveal all the information you will likely need for different bullets and powder.

There's a Wealth of Information here already.

If you spend 30 minutes reading the postings under "Forum" "Reloading" "9mm"

Most of your questions will be answered.

Lead vs fmj vs jhp vs moly

different powders

OAL

where to buy reloading supplies and equipment

comparison of different reloading machines.

All here - just spend half hour reading the old posts - you'll learn an

incredible amount in no time at all. :cheers:

Honestly it is more about what components you can get, than it is about what is "best".

Many on here will suggest various combinations - but......if you can't get them it doesn't do much good.

Powder is (here anyway) toughest. Find one that will work and go from there.

Just getting into reloading and I'm overwhelmed with all the choices!

Also, what's a good website to get loading supplies at good prices?

One nice thing about the current situation is you will be underwhelmed with choices for powder, that you can actually purchase. The optimization at the moment is more about what you can build with what becomes available, vs what is 'best'. I started last year, so I did what folks mentioned above and just read through all the combinations of what folks like, grabbed a few manuals for loading data. I think the places I've gotten decent amounts of powder at good prices when it did become briefly available was Powder Valley and Grafs. But also check your local gun shops, some of them might have stuff on the shelf at stupid prices, so the seasoned folks won't buy it at that price. But its not bad to buy your first few pounds at $35-$45/lb or so if needed, to get going, but you don't want to do that at volume, that's where you want to be buying at Powder Valley or Grafs pricing.

Edit: fishsticks beat me with the same message, but in fewer words!

Edited by trgt

If you have a reloading manual make a list of all the possible powders for 9mm. If you don't have a manual get one before you do any loading. In the mean time you can go to the powder manufacturer's websites and make a list of suitable powders. Carry that list with you any call/hit all your local LGS and hit Gunbot as much as possible. My wife and I both shoot 34's in Limited minor. Our current load is a 147gr Montana Gold bullet, 3.4gr Bullseye powder, loaded to 1.15" OAL. Very soft recoil and about a 130PF. You need small pistol primers (not magnum).

I am also a new USPSA shooter and reloader. My advice, find a load to get you started. Once you have a handle on loading that consistently and reliably then start to experiment. Get you gun up and running reliably so you always have a go-to load. Focus on one caliber and one load. Get that one right before you branch out. It is overwhelming when you start but one you have the basics it's not bad at all.

Don't cut costs with cheap quality equipment. It will cost you more in the long run.

The nice thing about the G34 is, that in my experience with a G34 last year, about 10k rounds, it ran reliably with just about EVERYTHING :-)

I concur.. My G35 with either a .40 barrel or a 9mm conversion barrel sn't picky at all. I've ran a mass range of OAL's with both calibers. Just make sure it paasses the plunk test is all I do.. the glock does the rest.

Many folks prefer the heavier (147gr) bullets since many agree that the perceived recoil is softer than with lighter bullets. Less powder is an added bonus. I have run FMJ, plated and the "new" coated bullets, particularly Bayou Bullets. There are several coated bullet manufacturers that use the J&M Specialty coating. It is a dry coating and very durable. They are lead bullets with this coating on them. I've shot a few thousand through my G34 stock barrel without issue.

For powder, make regular calls and/or visits to your local shops. I have managed to finally get a quantity of a couple different powders this way and haven't had to pay hazmat charges. Ditto for Primers, though primers seem to be available for the most part now.

Get a reloading manual and a reloading book like The ABCs of Reloading. A good manual and this forum will give you all you need to get you started.

I bought some powder. Its the only powder I could find in town. Hopefully, I can use it to make a minor load! Dont even own a load book yet. Lol it's 700x. Anybody use this stuff? Also found cci primers. No problem there....

Todd, I just hit the Forums button (top left of your screen, next to BrianEnos.com),

and selected General Reloading, and then 9mm.

I put 700x into the search window, and found someone here last month was

using 3 grains 700x with a 147 gr bullet at 1.145" ... :surprise:

If you do the same, I bet within 5 minutes, you'll find a whole bunch of

people who have used 700x for 9mm minor. :cheers:

That should give you a starting place, as you chrono your loads, I'm

sure you'll find exactly what you are looking for, in Your gun.

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

I bought some powder. Its the only powder I could find in town. Hopefully, I can use it to make a minor load! Dont even own a load book yet. Lol it's 700x. Anybody use this stuff? Also found cci primers. No problem there....

Please tell us you're going to have a reloading manual (not load book), and read and understand it or have at least taken a reloading class, before you're worried about making ammo?

Lyman's 49th or ABCs of Reloading are both worthwhile..