Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Eagle for IDPA & IPSC

MikeyG23

Okay guys, the new gun bug has been in full rage at my house and thanks to a couple of forum members and the classifieds I've got enough $$ to afford a new gun.

I'm looking at an STI Eagle in .40 with a bushing barrel since I shoot IDPA and want to shoot USPSA Limited as well. The question is what am I sacrificing with a 5", short frame gun for limited ? As I look through the forums here I see that Benny Hill's Fat Free guns are pretty popular as are the Brazos guns with lightened slides. Is the "trend" towards lighter guns since PF has dropped to 165 ?? I know everything is a compromise but I really want one gun I can shoot both sports with and the Eagle looks to be a good compromise. While .40 may not be the perfect IDPA caliber it's certainly competitive and a standard frame gun may have a bit more flip than say an Edge all in all it looks like a good compromise.

Am I overlooking anything ??

Comments Please !!

I thought about going the custom route but have decided aginst it for now. About all I want is a basic gun with FO front sight which is like a $39.00 option. Hard chrome and all the bells and whistles can come later. Remember as a recovering Glock shooter this is going to be like going from a pickup to a limo anyway :D

A limo that won't run is a storage bin. Read the post here about factory guns and problems, then call Benny and get one that does what you want it to do. A bushing barrel 5in in blue won't be 2100.00 but it will run. A factory gun won't be 2100.00 either and it might run, maybe they could fix it first or second trip but UPS will love you either way.------Larry

If you don't go the Benny Hill route, and I would strongly suggest it, order your STI factory gun through Dawson Precision. Dave will make sure that when you get it, it will run.

As far as the only option being the FO FS, you will HATE the factory trigger job - CREEEEEEEEEEEP like there is no tomorrow and heavy. I'm also not a big fan of the factory barrel accuracy / fit . So by the time you fix the trigger and barrel fit, you have just spent the same as ordering one from Benny Hill.

For the cost of the factory gun in blue with an FO FS you can be well ahead with a gun from several good smith's. Start off right with a solid gun that runs. Those hear who have a BH gun can vouch for his work. I am very impressed with Dan Bedell's work. You can get in touch with him through Shooters Connection. There are several good pics of his work.

Good Luck, Craig

mike,

there are plenty of factory guns that run and run fine. there are some issues however that pop up. of course, there are the inevitable factory guns that dont run like they should. generally as i have seen it, a lot of the single stack guns run fine, the dbl stacks however are more prone to problems. there are a lot of guns you can get at about the cost of a factory gun as well. dan bedell's guns seem to be the best for the pocket in terms of values. you can also get a dawson factory gun. these run at or about the cost of a factory gun, + or - maybe $200. before you take the plunge, check out the guns from smiths that are in the similar price range.

the shorter dustcovers are usually lighter, many are able to transition them faster from target to target due to the weight. if your going to shoot idpa, short dustcover w/ a bushing barrel will let you shoot the sport and run dbl duty as an ipsc gun as well.

glad to help your cause :D

Thanks for all the input. I haven't placed an order with anyone as yet so maybe I'll call Benny Hill today and see what he can do for me. I'll probably end up ordering through Dawson if I go STI factory. I bought my Trojan from them and was pleased with their service.

Keep the feed back coming !!

( And a BIG Thanks to Roby) :D

A box stock Eagle will cost $1,614 from us. I go through each one and check it and then test fire and correct any problems before it goes out (this service is included at no charge). For IDPA you will need to cut the magwell down - it is a little too wide but can be made to work, and make sure you get a bushing barrel. I would get a tungsten guide rod to use when you shoot IPSC - the rod adds the same amount of weight that a long dust cover would. You will need 126 mags for IDPA and 140's for IPSC. Or shoot the 126's in USPSA limited 10. Factory triggers run from 3 1/2 lbs and nice to 5 lbs and gritty and everywhere in between. A 3 lb trigger job on the factory parts is $75.

Mikey,

Bob brought up a couple of points I wanted to add to.

1) Magwells from SVI fit in the IDPA box without modification. This way you can keep the stock STI (If you buy a factory gun) and then be able to switch depending on your needs. I have found that I just leave the SVI on, as I prefer it over the huge magwells.

2) As Bob stated mags for IDPA need to be the 126mm. I use the Dawson International Basepads and everything fits in the box with some cushion to spare. I have 4 of the 126's and 3 140's and so far I haven't run into a stage where capacity or # of mags has been a huge problem.

3) Recoil spring weights are somewhat subjective but I run a cominolli steel guide rod with a 10lb. spring for 125pf IDPA loads and a 12lb. spring for 165pf major USPSA loads.

Again good luck, Craig

Based on a post by Dirtypool in another thread I took a look at the Krebs magwell and may give it a try, if not then I know from a couple of guys I shoot with that the SVI will fit as you stated. The Eagle doesn't come with a magwell so I've got a bit of lee way and time to think about that. I e-mailed Bob at Brazos with a couple of questions and I'm waiting on him to get back, that may be the best answer yet.

Thanks for all the insight so far, keep it rolling !

Hey Mikey,

Look on the classifieds. Someone just posted a great deal on a SV 9mm. It looks to be in your price range.

Dave

It is in my price range but because I'm trying for a "dual use" gun I'm going .40

Haven't you been shooting a little limited lately ;)

Yes I have. I took first place limited unclassified at area 4 sectional last month and shot the classifier match in Witchita Falls a couple of weeks ago. I am hooked and looking forward to more USPSA matches next year.

Dave

Yes I have. I took first place limited unclassified at area 4 sectional last month and shot the classifier match in Witchita Falls a couple of weeks ago. I am hooked and looking forward to more USPSA matches next year.

Dave

We'll have to get together after the holidays then.

MikeyG23,

A stock Eagle would be just fine for both. Don't get tied into a huge expense.

After the S&W Winter Championships, I'll be using a stock Eagle in IDPA, with no mag well. I do plan on taking a dremel and some sand paper to the bottom of the grip, but there's not much use for a mag well. I've practiced with and without one, and have yet to see the difference.

If I were using it for both, the only possible changes for USPSA would be to get two 140mm mags with Dawson base pads and Grams follower for 20 rds (I've never needed more than two big ones), put on an STI magwell so those long mags don't look so goofy hanging out, and install a heavy recoil master for major power factor loads. You may also want to set up a different belt, but again, not totally necessary. There are many USPSA Limited shooters who do great using IDPA-type gear. I use CR Speed in Limited, but my holster and pouches are basically where they would be in IDPA...on my sides.

I use two different Stock Eagles for PPC, Bianchi Cup, Steel Challenge, and IDPA and I've NEVER had any problems. Then again, I'm right at home with a 4lb+ trigger!

Happy Hunting!

Phil

The Eagle has a bushing barrel. I understand that the bushing is necessary (per rules) for IDPA. However, I don't understand if I give up anything in accuracy or longevity with a bushing barreled pistol. One pistol for ESP, Limited 10 and Limited is appealing.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick, you give up very little if anything with a bushing barrel. Bull barrels do get a little more weight out on the nose of the gun but thats a personal feel deal, bushing guns are a little lighter overall. Most important is a accurate gun that runs. A bushing gun can do that deal very well. Buy the gun of your choice and shoot it a lot.-----Larry