Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Bullets

Rich219

Here's another vote for coated bullets, SNS in my case.

Those of us who have traditionally been open to shooting some of the less costly lead alternatives (traditional cast lead and moly) have been converting over to coated. Same price, same accuracy, and almost no smoke. So if you're game to spend some of your shooting dollars elsewhere, take a look at coated bullets. They are every bit as accurate as FMJ.

That being said, if you're new to reloading an FMJ bullet is about as close to a carefree first load as you can get. And if you go there, I can't recommend Montana Gold CMJs highly enough.

Bayou, SNS, Xtreme, Lucky 13, Blue Bullets - lots of bullets available. I've shot lead bullets from Lucky 13 and like them for plinking but for USPSA I'm shooting Bayou. I was passing through Louisiana recently and stopped by the shop and picked up 5,000+ bullets. Great guys and great products.

For a decent cost savings, I bought 'black bullets' from Precision Bullets and Master Blaster back in the day. I guess from what I've read, masterblaster isn't around anymore, but Precision still is. Buy as much as you can to get a better cost savings. At first, I purchased a small amount to test if I could make an accurate and reliable load with my pistol. Once I got that out of the way, I placed an order for 10K. Accuracy was excellent and they didn't seem any more dirty than shooting CMJs from montana gold. If you're shooting a 1911/2011, make sure you can easily load and empty your chamber if you plan on loading long. The diameter of the bullets are slightly larger than fmjs. My bullets were getting stuck on the landings when I released the slide on my 2011. I had to send the barrel in to a smith to get it free bored. Hope this helps.

I've read elswhere that folks are using moly coated lead in factory Glock barrels. Have any of you guys done the same?

I have in my g22. No problems, accuracy has been great so far. I also know a GM that shot 10's of thousands of reg lead through a stock 34 barrel. He never had any problems.

i've loaded zero 180 TCFM for awhile,my supplier is out of them so now i'm experimenting with zero 180JHP's.

i have many options, i could get hornady's or cheaper berry's....sometimes i reflect on the fact i could easily go with berry's and save my green for other things . i won't , my loads with zéros are very accurate so i keep it as is for now.

I've loaded Zero's, Berry's, Frontier, and just finished loading some 170gr Precision moly bullets. I liked the Zero 180gr JHP the best but they're hard to get. I also have some 180gr Xtreme's on order. I only shoot out of my STI Edge and typically load from 1.180-1.20 OAL. I'm not good enough a shot to tell the difference in accuracy in any of these.

I've read elswhere that folks are using moly coated lead in factory Glock barrels. Have any of you guys done the same?

I've shot several thousand poly coated Ibejiheads through a factory G35 barrel with success.

to the OP: I think many guys use coated lead, and many use jacketed. I guess it depends on your budget and some other things. I'm fine with shooting the coated lead.

BBI purchased Masterblaster's equipment/coating formula many years ago.

I shoot Rainier Ballistics plated bullets. I use the 180's in Limited. I have used the 165's as well, but prefer 180's. I use the 124's in Production. I have used the 135's in Open (40 cal) with good results as well.