Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm looking to update my self defense gun - looking for your recommendations for a 9mm

SA/DA, mid size (not full size or pocket pistol) gun that comes with night sights, has a safety

and the ability to add a laser sight.

Prefer steel gun to plastic, but currently open to either.

Have you found anything like that on the market for a reasonable price, with a decent

trigger pull as it comes from the factory?

I've been looking at the various mfgrs' websites, and can't find anything that looks good

yet.

Gun needs to be reliable and fairly accurate (not target grade).

Thanks for your recommendations.

Jack

Sigs would work well if you want to stay with a steel gun. I have a P226 Tac Ops in .40S&W (it also comes in 9mm). It has a 5"barrel, steel slide, hard coated aluminum frame and is SA/DA with a decocker. Tritium sights are standard and it is plenty accurate. I bench it with factory ammo and get consistent 3" groups at 25 yards.

Sig has plenty of other models that would also work.

Edited by Zoomy

The only DA/SA I would consider is a CZ.

A SiG is not steel; aluminum is not steel.

some of the current SIG's use steel frames actually (I did not know this until recently)

I don't think any of the DA/SA SIG's have safeties though, but some or all of the SA only ones do

as to the original question, I am not sure. I am not a huge fan of DA/SA or external safeties, but the HK P30s (maybe HK USP and HK USP compact as well if you don't mind finding a work around for a laser) come to mind.

I would take the Walther PPQ or a Glock 19 over a DA/SA any day though. trigger is fantastic on the PPQ and you don't have to deal with DA/SA or LEM. G19 needs no introduction.

That's the Shadow line compact, the SP01 is the only CZ I know of which comes with night sights, but I'll bet someone would trade you.

Unfortunately that particular pistol with the frame safety is rare and expensive (~$1,000), the standard compact, P01, comes with a decocker instead of a safety.

For a pistol that size with a frame safety I recommend the EAA Witness compact steel:

eaa_compact_steel_witness.jpg

It's under $500, so there's plenty left offer for night sights.

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 5 months later...